Just back from Pacific Jewel

Hi all,

Just back from Pacific Jewel last Friday. Had a great time. Can't thank the Cruise Director Willie Lee enough for making it an enjoyable holiday.

Willie is probably the best Cruise Director we have even had and we have been fortunate to have cruised with him 3 times. I hope P&O keep him around for some time.:D

We travelled for Anzac Day and all went great with Willies organisation.

We travelled with 46. The Matre D' Rossen and the Head Waiters helped with making dinner and lunch bookings.

We dined at La Luna the last night and the food was amazing!

Also thanks to all that gave me advise on this thread, you all certainly gave me ideas/assistance with what to once on board.

I would really recommend Pacific Jewel for a great holiday. It anyone wants to ask questions, I hope I can answer.!

Hi!

Great to hear you had a lovely holiday, saving for the next one already?? :p

We cruised on the Jewel in 2010 and La Luna was an Asian fusion restaurant I think? Is it still the same?

I remember trying some of the 'taste testers' on the first day and I think that's when we decided not to go there.

I'd love to know what they are serving now!:)

Hi!

Great to hear you had a lovely holiday, saving for the next one already?? :p

We cruised on the Jewel in 2010 and La Luna was an Asian fusion restaurant I think? Is it still the same?

I remember trying some of the 'taste testers' on the first day and I think that's when we decided not to go there.

I'd love to know what they are serving now!:)

La Luna served Chinese the first half of the cruise and Thai second half. Amazing value for $20.

They also do the Chefs Table every night for $75. We did not go,but it was extremely popular.

Welcome back, Resordanis. It's nice to hear a good report about the Jewel. :) I see you've been on 'quite a few' ships to compare her with.

Yes, it does seem I have had a few to compare Pacific Jewel with. It did not start out that way. Rhapsody of the Seas is still our favorite, but for value for money Jewel was great. I think people forget the prices sometimes when they criticise P&O. We could have had 2 P&O cruises for the price of one Rhapsody cruise.

The food, entertainment and condition of the Pacific Jewel were all great!

Would go again tomorrow!:D

The food, entertainment and condition of the Pacific Jewel were all great!

Would go again tomorrow!:D

That's so great, has made me even more excited for my cruise in August!

A couple of questions if I may:

1. What were the cocktail prices like? Do they offer a 'cocktail of the day' for a reduced price?

2. Where was your cabin situated? And how were the cabins?

3. How was the food in MDR and buffet? WHich did you prefer?

That's so great, has made me even more excited for my cruise in August!

A couple of questions if I may:

1. What were the cocktail prices like? Do they offer a 'cocktail of the day' for a reduced price? No cocktail of the Day and most were around $9.50. I do not drink cocktails but were told they were very generous with the spirits.

2. Where was your cabin situated? And how were the cabins?

We were on Deck 5 outside. Great location. The cabins were very spacious and in great condition.

3. How was the food in MDR and buffet? WHich did you prefer?

We prefered the food in the Dining Room for Dinner and went to the Buffet for Breakfast and Lunch. Plenty of food, choices and generally good. I always feel that when you have so many meals, at least one or two might not be up to expectations, but we had no complaints and we are not easy to please where food is concerned!

Be excited about your cruise, I am sure you will enjoy yourself. Just go with any open mind! Any other questions just ask.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome back from your cruise! I can see your cruising soon too!

I am on Pacific Jewel this weekend and just had a few questions if ok!

1. You mention La Luna being Chinese / Thai cuisine. I have also read about Salt Grill. Did you try Salt Grill? Were there any other specialty restaurants?

2. Is there a coffee shop onboard?

3. If you are looking for something to eat outside of meal times, is there somewhere you can you can purchase food? On another P&O ship there was a Grill opened late where you could purchase wedges, souvlakis etc.

4. Do you recall any of the day spa prices / were there daily specials advertised?

5. For dining in the restaurant, were you able to make a table booking for the duration of the cruise so you had the same waiters?

6. What were your thoughts on the adult only outdoor area?

7. Does the tour desk open in embarkation day? Need to book an extra tour and want to ensure we don't miss out.

8. Any "secret" outdoor deck areas or hideaways you would recommend?

Thank you so much for your time, and have a fantastic time on your next cruise! :)

Welcome back from your cruise! I can see your cruising soon too!

1. You mention La Luna being Chinese / Thai cuisine. I have also read about Salt Grill. Did you try Salt Grill? Were there any other specialty restaurants? No other specialty restaurants and we did not try Salt, but many in our group did and said it was amazing.

2. Is there a coffee shop onboard? A couple of coffee shops actually, the Chocolate Cafe on the pool deck and Charlies on Deck 5

3. If you are looking for something to eat outside of meal times, is there somewhere you can you can purchase food? On another P&O ship there was a Grill opened late where you could purchase wedges, souvlakis etc.

The Grill was opened late. The pizzas were $7.95 ea and I had the garlic prawns $13.00 for 500gr.

4. Do you recall any of the day spa prices / were there daily specials advertised?

Don't recall the prices but they were expensive and yes that had specials but I thik mainly on port days

5. For dining in the restaurant, were you able to make a table booking for the duration of the cruise so you had the same waiters?

We did not on Jewel as we were with a large group and dined at different times, but we did on Pearl last year.

6. What were your thoughts on the adult only outdoor area?

Yes, I used Oasis on port days, just me there and it was great!

7. Does the tour desk open in embarkation day? Need to book an extra tour and want to ensure we don't miss out.

P&o never miss out on every opportunity to book a shore excursion

No secret doors that we are aware of, but we enjoyed Oasis for a quiet time and Charlies for a chat and coffee.

Thank you so much for your time, and have a fantastic time on your next cruise! :)

Hope that is the information you required, I am sure you will enjoy Jewel and I think you have the best Cruise Director ever in Willie Lee. Pity he is leaving Jewel at the end of May and I am hoping I see him again soon on another ship.:D

Hi there

You mentioned Willie Lee was leaveing the Jewel at the end of May...Do you know who is taking over?

Cheers Fiona

I understand Sandy will be back. I have not cruised with him!

5. Yes you can book the same table each night - not for the duration but by doing this as you leave the dining room each evening. We never had a problem doing this.

8. There are outside areas on decks below Oasis at the end of the corridor but there is no furniture so it is standing room only. We found the Attic was a haven during the day, when it was not being used for origami or rose making sessions. Look for the blank times and head up there. There is a door leading from the Attic to the outside deck and it is one of the few public areas with windows.

Colleen

Hi there

You mentioned Willie Lee was leaveing the Jewel at the end of May...Do you know who is taking over?

Cheers Fiona

Hi Fiona, Zoltina (Pearl) advised yesterday that her assistant CD, Alun was finishing today and going to Pacific Jewel after having a week off. From the sounds of it he may be taking over as the CD.

Im on the Pearl next week and now curious who Zoltina's new assistant will be?

Hi Fiona, Zoltina (Pearl) advised yesterday that her assistant CD, Alun was finishing today and going to Pacific Jewel after having a week off. From the sounds of it he may be taking over as the CD.

Im on the Pearl next week and now curious who Zoltina's new assistant will be?

Don't wish that upon anybody. Alun was useless when we had Lee Oliver earlier in the year. If he's going, he would be far better as the ACD, as he's not cut out for the CD role just yet.

Anybody know who the CD on the Sun is?

Don't wish that upon anybody. Alun was useless when we had Lee Oliver earlier in the year. If he's going, he would be far better as the ACD, as he's not cut out for the CD role just yet.

Anybody know who the CD on the Sun is?

Totally agree with you on that one.

• 1 month later...
Hi Resordanis.

Great to read you enjoyed your trip on Pacific Jewel.

Does the Jewel have a Ship's Tour behind the scenes as does Princess ?

Certainly hope so.

Rosee

Hi Rosee,

No I don't think so. They do a Galley Tour which I understand is very popular. Someone else might know if they actually do a complete Ship Tour.

Gee I hope Willie Lee is going to still be on the Jewel. We go on in July and we have had him before He was fabulous.

I don't think Willie will be on Jewel in July but you never know. Have a look at the thread "Pacific Dawn bypasses Isle of Pines" and you will find out he is not liked by all!:eek:

I don't think Willie will be on Jewel in July but you never know. Have a look at the thread "Pacific Dawn bypasses Isle of Pines" and you will find out he is not liked by all!:eek:
Who Willie?

Archived