First Time River Cruise - Also as a solo!

Chef Heather

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to CC and to River Cruising. I've been wanting to go on a RC for a long time, unfortunately hubby really has no interest in going, so am planning on traveling as a solo next year. I've only been able to find a few trip reports from folks that have traveled solo, so my question is, which RC line would you suggest for me? I'm kinda leaning towards AMA from my research. I would really like to include Amsterdam in the cruise, but am open to most itineraries. I realize that only a few lines seem to waive the single supplement, so am probably limited there. I'm in my early fifties, love good food (prior Chef), good wine, but mostly just want to really enjoy my vacation without overpaying for traveling solo

Thanks,

Heather

Hi Heather. I'm highly addicted to Uniworld. In August, I'll be taking my 4th "solo" cruise. Uniworld publishes a list of their cruises where singles can travel without paying that awful single suppliment. Thus, there are quite a few of us who have left mates at home and are off to enjoy the adventure on our own. I have never felt out of place. Quite the opposite. I love the Uniworld experience. Great food and wine, excellent crew and interesting itineraries. I also love the all-inclusiveness...open bar, tipping included and shore excursions included. Take a look at their website and specific itineraries for "singles".

WELCOME to the CC River Cruise board!

Vantage has some single cabins, but still priced higher than half a double. Grand Circle actively solicits singles with a "share" program that gives you standard half of double pricing whether they find you a share or not (I realize not everyone is willing to take pot luck on a share). I have cruised both those lines (not as a single) and there were always a number of singles on board to hang out with. River Cruises are pretty laid back and singles are generally welcomed at any table (I know they are at any table we are at). A number of lines have special offers on SOME cruises for singles (no doubt based on cabin availability). Good luck on your research and happy sailing.

I'm going solo next year on a Tauck cruise that runs from Budapest to Amsterdam. I've cruised on ocean ships a lot as a solo but this will be my first River trip. I chose Tauck for both its reply and the timing of this itinerary. The single supplement was also waived. I've heard great things about Tauck, Uniworld and AMA. I'm just excited to be able to travel!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think many lines with the exception of Viking waive the single supplement on a select amount of cruises each year. As stated, Uniworld, Avalon, AMA, & Tauck have all done so. Sometimes this is just in relation to the lowest category cabin, but if you contact the lines directly, they may offer it on other cabins. Check on the websites under the deals section to look at options. You can also sign up for email with deals.

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. While my husband enjoyed the RC we just did last month (Amsterdam to Basel), his interest in future cruises isn't as great as mine and as such, I've been considering a solo cruise sometime in 2017. For those that have cruised solo before, is there a way to identify other solo cruisers when you get on board to help ease into getting to know people?

Or, I'm curious, are there any other solo cruisers that might want to coordinate a trip. I have no interest in sharing a room with anyone as I like to have my space and so finding a cruise that waives single supplement would be ideal, but the knowledge there's another solo traveler or two onboard might be reassuring when facing a dining room full of couples! I'm 54 and I love to not only drink good wine, but am into learning about wine and love visiting vineyards and talking about the wine making process from start to finish. I enjoy good food though admit to having the palette of 10 year old in that I'm not too terribly adventurous with foods. If anyone might be interested in something like this, give me a shout and maybe we can put something together.

Thanks so much for more insight.......

I believe AMA does waive the single supplement on all cruises for the lower D & E categories....but does it also happen for higher level cabins? The "window" part doesn't bother me, just more concerned about engine noise on lower levels since I'm such a light sleeper.

This might sound crazy, but can anyone shed some light on the comfort of the beds on AMA, Avalon, Uniworld or Tauck? I'm dealing with a lower back issue so bed comfort could literally make or break vacation for me.

My husband and I are 40 and love good food and we loved Ama, we are doing our second Ama cruise in December. I honestly don't remember the bed which tells me it must have been comfortable because I have some back issues too, I can report back to you after my cruise in December and let you know for sure.

You will have to catch a sailing that is offering the single supplement waiver and that still has availability on the solo supplements as it is capacity controlled, yes I believe they only offer it for the D and E cabins at least that has been my experience.

I also wanted to mention (and this is probably the case with all river boats no matter the cruise line) is that if you are a light sleeper there is some noise when going through the locks at night so you might want to take some white noise with you just in case. As for engine noise, the D & E cabins are located mid-ship so I would think engine noise would not be an issue but I cannot tell you for sure because I haven't stayed in one.

Thanks so much for more insight.......

I believe AMA does waive the single supplement on all cruises for the lower D & E categories....but does it also happen for higher level cabins? The "window" part doesn't bother me, just more concerned about engine noise on lower levels since I'm such a light sleeper.

This might sound crazy, but can anyone shed some light on the comfort of the beds on AMA, Avalon, Uniworld or Tauck? I'm dealing with a lower back issue so bed comfort could literally make or break vacation for me.

Beds on Uniworld are amazing! AMA recently upgraded the bedding on their ships and I will be checking that out in ten days :D but we have always found the beds comfortable. And AMA's food and service remains the best we have had on any line.

Single supplements are not waived in C and above, just in D and E. Those cabins are not noisy according to my friends who have stayed in them 3 times. They said it is very quiet on that deck as there are less people using it. And mid ship on a river cruise means little, except for convenience. There is no motion. We did have a cabin at the very end of the deck on Avalon and there was a lot of vibration and some noise. We now avoid those.

As a foodie, I would recommend AMA, followed by Uniworld. Avalon did not come close. Although my last Avalon cruise was years ago (we discovered AMA and never looked back) recent comparisons from cruisers with experience across several lines mention that the food is still not memorable. Food is subjective but we thought Avalon lacked in several areas, and not just in food, as compared to AMA, Uniworld and Scenic.

Edited by caviargal

I also wanted to mention (and this is probably the case with all river boats no matter the cruise line) is that if you are a light sleeper there is some noise when going through the locks at night so you might want to take some white noise with you just in case. As for engine noise, the D & E cabins are located mid-ship so I would think engine noise would not be an issue but I cannot tell you for sure because I haven't stayed in one.

Thanks Wednesday, didn't realize that D & E cabins were mid-ship......definately keep me in mind for your "bed" review when you get back :)

Beds on Uniworld are amazing! AMA recently upgraded the bedding on their ships and I will be checking that out in ten days :D but we have always found the beds comfortable. And AMA's food and service remains the best we have had on any line.

Single supplements are not waived in C and above, just in D and E. Those cabins are not noisy according to my friends who have stayed in them 3 times. They said it is very quiet on that deck as there are less people using it. And mid ship on a river cruise means little, except for convenience. There is no motion. We did have a cabin at the very end of the deck on Avalon and there was a lot of vibration and some noise. We now avoid those.

As a foodie, I would recommend AMA, followed by Uniworld. Avalon did not come close. Although my last Avalon cruise was years ago (we discovered AMA and never looked back) recent comparisons from cruisers with experience across several lines mention that the food is still not memorable. Food is subjective but we thought Avalon lacked in several areas, and not just in food, as compared to AMA, Uniworld and Scenic.

Caviargal,

Great info! Especially as a chef; food is always one of the MOST important things for me :) I have heard that AMA ranks tops for their cuisine. Disappointed to hear that about Avalon; just received their 2017 World Collection brochure and their new Active Discovery Cruises on the Danube sounded great! Maybe their new partnership with the Wrenkh brothers for Avalon Fresh will improve the foodie aspect :)

I took my first river cruise last year, and it was as a solo on Uniworld. Absolutely loved it. Uniworld reduces or eliminates the single supplement on some cruises, and so do some of the other lines. River cruising is perfect for a female traveling alone. I highly recommend it.

Roz

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. While my husband enjoyed the RC we just did last month (Amsterdam to Basel)' date=' his interest in future cruises isn't as great as mine and as such, I've been considering a solo cruise sometime in 2017. For those that have cruised solo before, is there a way to identify other solo cruisers when you get on board to help ease into getting to know people?

Or, I'm curious, are there any other solo cruisers that might want to coordinate a trip. I have no interest in sharing a room with anyone as I like to have my space and so finding a cruise that waives single supplement would be ideal, but the knowledge there's another solo traveler or two onboard might be reassuring when facing a dining room full of couples! I'm 54 and I love to not only drink good wine, but am into learning about wine and love visiting vineyards and talking about the wine making process from start to finish. I enjoy good food though admit to having the palette of 10 year old in that I'm not too terribly adventurous with foods. If anyone might be interested in something like this, give me a shout and maybe we can put something together.[/quote']

Hi, After my first river cruise with my cousin, we both decided that sharing a cabin on a RC is tight! I travel with a walker because of my back, the walker allows me to walk much faster, it's the taking photographs that slow me down!

I'm on the May 6, 2017 AMA Kristina, Basel to Amsterdam, traveling solo. My husband isn't a traveler and my cousin isn't interested in river cruises, she prefers ocean cruising, more to do. I booked this when they waived the single supplement but because the rooms were below the water line, the elevator didn't go down to that level, so I'm in a cabin on the level up. They wouldn't waive the supplement, even though it was their fault of not providing accessible access to the 3rd level. I know this cruise is sold out on the single cabins.

My plan for this trip is: flying from MD to Paris on 4/21 for a 6 day stay in a timeshare I traded; then train to London for 5 nights (I think); train to Lucerne or Zurich (I'm doing the 4 night pre-cruise). After the cruise, I'm staying 5 nights in Amsterdam. I found that some of the hotels I was interested in were already sold out since it's tulip season. I've gotten my phane ticket. Now I have to find a hotel in London.

I love planning trips. I turned 65 this past March. This past spring, I signed up for a landscape photography tour of Western Ireland. I flew over a week early to stay in Dublin, then train to Ennis, then after the workshop a train to Cork for a week and back to Dublin and home. I did great managing my suitcase, carry on, camera and laptop backpack and walker. So I figured I'm ready for my next big solo trip.

I found on my first river cruise that people would come up to you if you're sitting alone. It was nice except when I was actually taking a break from my cousin and enjoying some quiet reading time LOL! Oh, the beds on the Avalon were terrific, I expect the same from AMA. You may want to alert AMA that you have a back issue, they may be able to add support or cushioning on the bed for you.

I love the idea of planning together, sharing ideas. I'm interested if anyone else is. Just let me know.

Linda

Hi Linda!

That seems like quite the trip you've got planned for this spring. We just did the Rhine river cruise last month (though we did it Amsterdam to Basel) and really enjoyed it. I hope your weather is as perfect as our was, particularly for the day you sail the Rhine river gorge...the scenery is fantastic!

I've yet to actually get serious about planning my next river cruise, but maybe something in 2018. I did just have dinner with a friend last night that has mentioned vacationing together next Fall (land trip) that would preclude me from doing any cruising in 2017 ($$).

I'll keep you in mind as I ponder the next one...meantime, happy cruising! I hope you'll enjoy the solo experience!

Just about to head off (this week!) on my first Avalon cruise solo. As others have said, they waived the single supplement on "Aquarium class." I would have preferred an actual window, but when you consider the 75% single supplement plus the additional upgrade charges, it would have pretty much been twice the price. (All things considered, I'd rather save the money for another cruise.)

Because the waived single supplement applies only to those cabins, though, I figure my best bet at finding other solo travellers will be my immediate neighbors.

I've done American river cruises solo (on a line that no longer exists) and really enjoyed it. The cruise was more geared to activity in ports, which seemed to invite a less sedentary/more outgoing type of guest (than ocean cruising) with the side bonus that everyone was super friendly. I travel solo a lot (being single) and the experience varies -- sometimes I've just had to be a bit more extroverted at the start of a trip; other times I've ended up just making friends with the crew.

I missed your thread (I was on a cruise last week);)

Anyway, I sailed solo on AMA back in April and it was FABULOUS:D

They were recommended to me and I would definitely pass that

recommendation on to you.:)

Food, service, bedding, everything......this cruise was in my top 2 of alltime

sailings. This was my first River cruise and I loved it:D

They definitely waive the Single Supplement on certain cabin categories.

The cabin had windows and plenty of space for me.

This is great to hear, Lois and I trust your report. I read some negative reviews on AMA on Trip Advisor yesterday, not for our ship though. We are on Prima Jun 1 and really looking forward to this. It's our first too, after many Celebrity cruises. Did you book another one?

This is great to hear, Lois and I trust your report. I read some negative reviews on AMA on Trip Advisor yesterday, not for our ship though. We are on Prima Jun 1 and really looking forward to this. It's our first too, after many Celebrity cruises. Did you book another one?

Hi:), actually I did but I had to cancel it......hoping I will be doing another

one though.

As for negative reviews.....there are always negative reviews out there.

No matter what line, ship, itinerary, etc......there are always folks who

have negative things to say.

I LOVED the river cruise:)

River cruises is so much on a smaller scale than the big ocean ships. With only 150 ish people on board you will get to know your fellow cruisers very easily.

I have travelled solo, with friends, with hubby, and also in larger groups of 6,8,12 all friends who had never met prior cruise. At the end of the trip everyone was best mates and we cruised again several times. We have recently booked Amsterdam to Budapest for 10 next October on Monarch Baroness.

Even though we are a larger group we often split up into smaller groups to do things and some go off on their own if no one else is interested in their plans. You will be fine going solo. I expect amongst our group of 10 there will be 3 in the fast walkers, i want to see everything i possibly can even if i come back totally exhausted attitude. there will be 4 in the slow walkers - love the cruise will see what I can and am just grateful to have the chance to be on a river cruise. The others will be with the regular walkers. I am still in regular contact with people I met on an APT Amsterdam to Budapest cruise 9 years ago. The boats are so small you will almost be forced into making conversation with whoever you are sitting next to. There is only one main lounge, one dining area, and the sundeck depending on the weather, so be prepared to enjoy the beautiful scenery and the company of others. Some might have a small fitness room and a small library/reading/lounge but i guarantee you will spend most of your time in the big lounge as you have views of both sides of the river.

I missed your thread (I was on a cruise last week);)

Anyway, I sailed solo on AMA back in April and it was FABULOUS:D

They were recommended to me and I would definitely pass that

recommendation on to you.:)

Food, service, bedding, everything......this cruise was in my top 2 of alltime

sailings. This was my first River cruise and I loved it:D

They definitely waive the Single Supplement on certain cabin categories.

The cabin had windows and plenty of space for me.

Hi Lois,

I remember reading your review which really inspired me to do this! Any chance I could email you regarding your trip? Thanks, Heather