Frigate Bay Beach Vs Cockelshell Beach

Deptacon

Ok, I have been to St Kitts before, we went to South Friars Beach which was fun.

We are cruising with another couple. Both young couples (young 30's) and trying to decide between Frigates Bay Beaches and Cockelshell Beach. We like it to be somewhat lively (a good beach bar or several), a place to get chairs, and just enjoy the beach.

Thoughts? Heard Reggae Beach Bar area at Cockelshell Beach is good...is the beach area big enough to not get too crowded? How about South Friars....seems to have more beach bars and a larger beach (looking on google maps)

Ok, I have been to St Kitts before, we went to South Friars Beach which was fun.

We are cruising with another couple. Both young couples (young 30's) and trying to decide between Frigates Bay Beaches and Cockelshell Beach. We like it to be somewhat lively (a good beach bar or several), a place to get chairs, and just enjoy the beach.

Thoughts? Heard Reggae Beach Bar area at Cockelshell Beach is good...is the beach area big enough to not get too crowded? How about South Friars....seems to have more beach bars and a larger beach (looking on google maps)

We've also been to St. Kitts, twice (2013 and 2015) and we also went to South Friars Beach on our visit in 2015 (Shipwreck) and can definitely see why you're asking if the Cockleshell and Frigate Bay beaches are wide enough. ;) We happened to love Shipwreck but also know that it's definitely not the beach for everyone.

To answer your question. I can't comment about Frigate Bay Beach, but we have been to Cockleshell and got some loungers in an area next to the Reggae Beach Bar. Yes, the beach is much wider at Cockleshell/Reggae Beach Bar and it can definitely get lively there, but also fun.

Attaching a few pictures so you can get a visual. Again, we weren't on the beach right in front of Reggae but were right next to it. We did spend quite a bit of time INSIDE Reggae drinking beer because we were dodging heavy downpours. Depending on how many other ships are in St. Kitts that day, it can get crowded but because of # of people, not lack of beach.

View to the right when facing the water

100_1870.jpg

View to left (and Reggae Beach Bar) when facing the water

100_1875.jpg

Best view of Reggae Beach Bar (again, left when facing water). The building is kind of tucked among the trees.

100_1873_1.jpg

and its a long ride to get to cockenshell correct?

No, not really. If you get a cab that will take you directly there, then it's probably about 20-25 minutes. We had to wait for a van to fill up and had stops at three different beaches to let others off before we got to Cockleshell, so it was between a half hour and 45 minutes for us. If you decide to stop at Timothy Hill for views/pictures along the way, then that will add time, but it's definitely worth it if you haven't been.

• 1 month later...

We LOVE the Reggae Beach bar. If you like their page on social media and send them a message, they will shuttle you to and from the port to the beach and back.

The snorkeling from the beach is very good. We really enjoy the food and drinks. Very laid back. Love, love, love this place.

We went to Carambola Beach Club for the day. I made reservations online. It was the poshest beach club we found during our entire southern Caribbean trip. The chairs were sturdy and well-padded. The beach was fantastic. We didn't eat there, but they make a fantastic ginger lemon tea that was out of this world...I'm sure if you added rum or vodka, it'd have been better. It was relaxing, gorgeous, and fantastic in so many ways.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Carambola is $10 for the chair I can't remember if the umbrella is included. Very close to port maybe a 20 min ride. I always make a reservation. They are really nice there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you snorkel from that beach?

• 1 month later...
I love Carambola. Just found out they are closed for s private party when we are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When are you going that they will be closed for the private party? We are going in September and that is where we were going to go.