Noordam Questions

maryjnsteve

Looking for information on the Noordam, as we will be cruising New Zealand and Australia, then staying a few days in Sydney.

Questions -

Does the Noordam have coin operated laundry facilities? I know they offer a daily laundry service$$$.

Do I need need an adapter for our charges? Especially when we are staying in Sydney.

Do I need a converter for our chargers?

What does Noordam offer for evening entertainment for a 15 day cruise?

Can we bring a case of pop/soda or bottle water at embarkation?

Thank you! Mary

No coin operated laundry. Only the laundry service.

You will need an adapter whilst in Australia but should be ok on the ship. Someone more knowledgable than me can discuss converters.

We bought a case of bottled water and put it on top of our wheelie case. We had written our room no. on the outside of the case in black marker and pointed this out to the porter. The water was in our room along with the cases just after lunch.

Laundry -- you have a choice of "laundry by the bag" -- $20 for as much as you can stuff into a bag or "unlimited" -- call ship services at 1-800-541-1576 to get a price for your cruise (it usually works out to be about $7 a day) or you can pay by the piece -- very expensive.

There will be shows in the show lounge like comedians, jugglers, a couple of production shows, the BB king group in the Queen's Lounge, the Adagio Duo in the Explorer's Lounge, a group playing in the Ocean Bar, the piano man in the Piano Bar. Not sure when you are cruising but there the Noordam may still have the Northern Nights (disco mostly) when you are on board.

The Noordam, like all HAL ships, and most ships that target the US market, will have US plugs and European style plugs. This doesn't change when the ship changes locations for a season. That would be a complex nightmare. Yes, you will need adapters for Australia, when ashore, in a hotel, for example.

It is HAL's worldwide policy you can bring soft drinks and water on board. Discussed here almost daily. However no need to bring more than a refillable bottle of water per person, as the water on board tastes great, is FREE, and doesn't have a plastic waste problem.

I am going to assume you are American for the purposes of discussing adapters and converters in Australia.

You will definitely need an adapter for your American electrical appliances. If you look online you can see that Australian outlets are 3-pronged with the upper 2 prongs at an approximate 60 degree angle from horizontal.

An American plug will not fit.

Also, Australian current is 220v so it will "fry" any American electrical appliance as they operate on 110v. There are voltage converters that will "up" your appliance to work on 220v, but the portable ones are only good for appliances that are 100-300 watts. That means they are useless for hair dryers and such. HOWEVER, many personal devices these days, e.g. cell phones, Kindles, etc. have dual voltage so they can be plugged into a 220 v outlet without harming it. Some appliances like hair dryers even have this option, but not all--so you have to check.

These are the outlets on Nieuw Amsterdam, I think there may be only one set on the Noordam. Take an EU adapter and use the second outlet. All of my electronics are dual voltage, and I have not seen a hair dryer in 40 years that wasn't dual voltage.

enhance