More Gala Nights Cutbacks

1ANGELCAT

Why worry about the number of "gala nights"? Since no dress code is enforced, the people around you are going to be wearing whatever they want to wear. If you like to put a little effort into your appearance - go ahead and do it - regardless of what they call the "night". Whenever I go out to eat with my wife (other than a diner breakfast, or the like) I make a bit of effort as does she --- cruising is not what it used to be - everyone wears pretty much what they want, so you should too.

Why worry about the number of "gala nights"? Since no dress code is enforced, the people around you are going to be wearing whatever they want to wear. If you like to put a little effort into your appearance - go ahead and do it - regardless of what they call the "night". Whenever I go out to eat with my wife (other than a diner breakfast, or the like) I make a bit of effort as does she --- cruising is not what it used to be - everyone wears pretty much what they want, so you should too.

Perhaps because "gala nights" is usually when the lobster or other special menu is offered?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not worried. Just disappointed. I remember having 3 on a 10 night Caribbean many years ago.

For the record , I do dress up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also available in the Lido.

And possibly better in the Lido. We rarely have dinner in the Lido, but on a rough sea day, I didn't want to be in the aft for too long, and I wasn't very hungry. So we went to the Lido for steak/lobster night. I just wanted the steak, but most people were eating many lobster tails, getting as many as three at a time. The cooks couldn't keep up, so the line got stalled while they prepared another batch. The lobster tails were held on a steam table for no longer than it took to plate them, so they were about as "right out of the pot" as you could get.

We loved Formal Nights and even the old Informal Nights and think Galas Nights are fine, as far as they go, which isn't far, but........HAL should come up with a Gala Optional designation and be done with it. So silly to keep degrading the old Formal Night to lesser and lesser definitions.

As it is, on Gala Nights one ship will allow into the MDR anyone dressed in anything better than a bathrobe and the next ship insists on men wearing a jacket and provides loaners.

Might as well let pax choose. We've seen Formal Optional on a few cruises where the dress code got mixed up (docs said 8, shipboard program said 9, so they deemed one Formal Optional) and it worked out fine, everyone happy.

dag144, had to laugh at your Westey is a dog comment. We've had 4 of these little terriers. I agree with every night is a wonderful night on a cruise. We were on the Westerdam the first HA cruise, then next 3 on Niewu Amsterdam. 3 weeks to go!