Cruising Denmark, Sweden + Norway?

Hello. Last year my husband and I went on the Holland Baltic Jewels cruise and it was fantastic. We particularly liked Scandinavia and have no need to see SPB or the German ports again. I only can find basically this same cruise, does anyone have suggestions of any smaller cruise lines (we are American but European lines are fine) that focus on Denmark, Norway, the Swedish archipelago? I know Viking etc. does but it's hard when you are searching in America, none of the European smaller lines come up in a Google search. Just trying to see what else is out there if we really want to focus on Scandinavia (and preferably the cities). Picky I know but we just fell in love with Scandinavia!

There aren't really proper cruise ships that does Scandinavia. There are cruise ferries that does point to point traffic.

Viking Line and Tallink on the east coast (Stockholm - Finland/Baltics). Stena Line have a route between Göteborg, Sweden

and Fredrikshavn, Denmark as well as Varberg, Sweden to Grenå Denmark.

From Strömstad (180km north of Göteborg) there are two ferry lines that operates ferries to Sandefjord, Norway (110 km south west of Oslo). Then there is ferries between Oslo and Copenhagen. Birka cruises is the only true local cruise line but they only do longer cruises (with multiple ports)

on a few occasions during the summer. The rest of the year they only do 24 hour cruises out of Stockholm.

Stena Line

Göteborg - Fredrikshavn ~ 3½ hours.

Vargberg - Grenå ~ 3½ hours.

Fjordeline

Strömstad - Sandefjord ~ 2½ hours.

Color Line

Strömstad - Sanefjord ~ 2½ hours.

Dfds Seaways

Oslo - Copenhagen ~ 16½ hours.

Viking Line

Stockholm - Åbo ~11½ - 12 hours twice/day.

Stockholm - Helsinki ~17½ hours once/day

Tallink/Silja Line

Stockholm - Åbo ~ 11½ hours

Stockholm - Helsinki ~ 17h 45 min

Stockholm - Tallin ~17 hours

Stockholm - Riga 18 hours.

For Sweden-Finland/Baltics the return trips are about 2 hours shorter due to Sweden being 1 hour behind Finland/Baltics.

When we first started planning our Baltic/Scandinavian trip, what we really, REALLY wanted what the same you are looking for - Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland...... But, we could not find anything that included all those. So then we thought maybe we'd just do 2 shorter cruises - one to Norway, and one to the others. But, we didn't love any of the options for those. The only cruises that included Norway were 7 days in Norway and we felt that was too much Norway, which wouldn't leave much time for the other countries. SO, we ended up scratching Norway off the list. I'm still sad about it.

Of course, we could just NOT do a cruise and piece together an itinerary that works, but I have my heart set on cruising, and I really didn't care WHERE in Europe we went, as long as we got to cruise there.

For the Norwegian coast there is also Hurtigrutten.

If you want to see the Stockholm archipelago properly, you could go on an organized full day cruise with a classic archipelago

passenger boat operated by Strömma or or you could do diy island hopping with Waxholmsbolagets public boat transport network.

Hello. Last year my husband and I went on the Holland Baltic Jewels cruise and it was fantastic. We particularly liked Scandinavia and have no need to see SPB or the German ports again. I only can find basically this same cruise, does anyone have suggestions of any smaller cruise lines (we are American but European lines are fine) that focus on Denmark, Norway, the Swedish archipelago? I know Viking etc. does but it's hard when you are searching in America, none of the European smaller lines come up in a Google search. Just trying to see what else is out there if we really want to focus on Scandinavia (and preferably the cities). Picky I know but we just fell in love with Scandinavia!

Have a look at http://www.fredolsencruises.com. They offer quite a few Scandinavian Cruises which exclude St Petersburg, but visit lesser known ports. A very British onboard experience, if you don’t mind that!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There aren't really proper cruise ships that does Scandinavia. There are cruise ferries that does point to point traffic.

Viking Line and Tallink on the east coast (Stockholm - Finland/Baltics). Stena Line have a route between Göteborg, Sweden

and Fredrikshavn, Denmark as well as Varberg, Sweden to Grenå Denmark.

From Strömstad (180km north of Göteborg) there are two ferry lines that operates ferries to Sandefjord, Norway (110 km south west of Oslo). Then there is ferries between Oslo and Copenhagen. Birka cruises is the only true local cruise line but they only do longer cruises (with multiple ports)

on a few occasions during the summer. The rest of the year they only do 24 hour cruises out of Stockholm.

Stena Line

Göteborg - Fredrikshavn ~ 3½ hours.

Vargberg - Grenå ~ 3½ hours.

Fjordeline

Strömstad - Sandefjord ~ 2½ hours.

Color Line

Strömstad - Sanefjord ~ 2½ hours.

Dfds Seaways

Oslo - Copenhagen ~ 16½ hours.

Viking Line

Stockholm - Åbo ~11½ - 12 hours twice/day.

Stockholm - Helsinki ~17½ hours once/day

Tallink/Silja Line

Stockholm - Åbo ~ 11½ hours

Stockholm - Helsinki ~ 17h 45 min

Stockholm - Tallin ~17 hours

Stockholm - Riga 18 hours.

For Sweden-Finland/Baltics the return trips are about 2 hours shorter due to Sweden being 1 hour behind Finland/Baltics.

Thank you thank you for taking the time to write this out!!! Tallink/Silja and Birka were the ones I remember seeing when we were in Stockholm but I couldn't remember the names. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, you are wonderful and I really appreciate it a lot!

Have a look at www.fredolsencruises.com. They offer quite a few Scandinavian Cruises which exclude St Petersburg, but visit lesser known ports. A very British onboard experience, if you don’t mind that!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you! I actually did run across Fred Olsen when doing a Google search, I will investigate further and I can't imagine anyone would mind a British onboard experience! I personally would love it.

For the Norwegian coast there is also Hurtigrutten.

If you want to see the Stockholm archipelago properly, you could go on an organized full day cruise with a classic archipelago

passenger boat operated by Strömma or or you could do diy island hopping with Waxholmsbolagets public boat transport network.

Thank you so much. This is exactly the type of information I am looking for. We don't speak Swedish at all of course but I found it quite easy to navigate around all of the Scandinavian countries so I'm thinking that a Swedish or Norwegian ship would not be a problem for English speakers. Thank you for your time.

Thank you so much. This is exactly the type of information I am looking for. We don't speak Swedish at all of course but I found it quite easy to navigate around all of the Scandinavian countries so I'm thinking that a Swedish or Norwegian ship would not be a problem for English speakers. Thank you for your time.

I spent a week in Sweden a long time ago and had no problems with locals. So glad their English was perfect because my Swedish was nonexistent.