Kauai, HI update

JF - retired RRT

If you're planning on a Hawaii cruise...don't plan on shopping at Kmart on Kauai. It has closed.

We still have Costco (across the street from the gone Kmart) and WalMart (free shuttle or take the bus).

Kmart had a shuttle to encourage shoppers, so the only way to get to Costco is to rent a car or take the bus. Bus is cheaper but takes longer and the bus stop is across the street from Costco.

If you're planning on a Hawaii cruise...don't plan on shopping at Kmart on Kauai. It has closed.

Kmart had a shuttle to encourage shoppers, so the only way to get to Costco is to rent a car or take the bus. Bus is cheaper but takes longer and the bus stop is across the street from Costco.

Are Uber and/or Lyft readily available at the cruise port to go to Costco?

Glad this moved from the Princess board. That way it it is a service to ALL people who are interested in Kauai, not just the much smaller number who happen to be sailing Princess. Considerate, helpful move by the Mods. Has nothing to do with Princess, really.

My mistake. I didn't even think to put it in Ports of Call.

Are Uber and/or Lyft readily available at the cruise port to go to Costco?

I don't know if Lyft is here. I do use Uber to go to the airport.

Also, not sure they would let Uber into the port proper. Taxi drivers have to have a special pass to go into the port.

If the driver can't pick you up IN the port area, it's a short walk out past the guards to the sidewalk on the main road. And the bus stop is just a little bit further.

If so, a quick check of the Uber Kauai website shows the round-trip fare from the ship to Costco and return would be $19.62. Make sure you have enough to buy there to make it worthwhile.

Good point. That's expensive.

As I pointed out in my original post, the bus will get you close to Costco. It costs $1 or 25 cents for seniors...it just takes longer.

If you want to try the bus, you need the "Lihue Shuttle", stand at the stop next to the "Garden Isle Inn". The bus is neat, you'll get a little mini-tour of the area.

I'm curious if there were any shops near the port where I could pick up a 12 pack of Diet Coke rather than trekking to Walmart or Costco?:confused:

The only shops that are close is Anchor Cove: steak, yogurt, tourist bus, ABC store, etc. I don't think any of them will have 12 packs. ABC might have 6 packs.

Walmart is easy to get to.;)

I have a non-food question about Kauai. How much would a taxi be from the cruise port to Kapaa?

I don't know. You might try doing a Google search for "taxi rates".

I've used Uber a couple of times to go to the airport...I live about 2 miles from the airport and it costs $12 -16.

Kapaa is probably about 25-30 miles from the port.