Helicopter ride in Hilo

Mr&MsSmith

My husband wants to take a helicopter tour in Hilo and is so looking forward to it as a birthday present, but I’m not convinced I can do it.

Can someone that has been on a helicopter ride here let me know if it compares to a roller coaster ride?

Im afraid of heights and I do not like the stomach feeling in roller coasters.

Please help me decide if I should join the ride! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband wants to take a helicopter tour in Hilo and is so looking forward to it as a birthday present, but I’m not convinced I can do it.

Can someone that has been on a helicopter ride here let me know if it compares to a roller coaster ride?

Im afraid of heights and I do not like the stomach feeling in roller coasters.

Please help me decide if I should join the ride!

Everyone is different, and no one should make that decision except you. Is there an option where you could send him on his ride while you stay on the ground?

I too am afraid of heights. As a kid I loved roller coasters, but as an adult they make my tummy tickle. Have only done a helicopter ride in Kauai. It was breathtakingly beautiful. Once in a lifetime experience because I don't know that I will ever take a helicopter ride again. It did scare me with the wind movements affecting the sway of the helicopter. When we flew over Waimea canyon our pilot told us we would be doing the hula. It was the hula, I was frightened, but we were fine. I absolutely loved the views, the beauty, and the experience. The only way I would go again is if my kids wanted me to do it. We did it before kids.

Can you do it? Up to you. Maybe see a doctor about anxiety meds? That may help? It was an amazing experience and worthwhile to me.

Thank you both for your responses...I know is going to be once in a lifetime experience specially seeing the volcano but I’m still scared and afraid I won’t enjoy it after all and don’t want to go and ruin it for him. Which is why I’m looking to hear other people’s experience to help me decide, he is going for sure with or without me :)

I too am afraid of heights and definitely plan to do helicopter in Hilo when I am there in October 2019. I have done helicopters before and know they bother me but but not enough to give up the experience. In my travel experiences I have found that the things I remember best are those that I was a bit fearful about. You must decide what is best for you but I know for me answer is definitely yes

Having safely flown helicopters for over 17,000 hours obviously they don’t bother me. ;)

Having flown both types of aircraft, a helicopter is not more unstable than a small airplane & both can be affected by turbulence. I wouldn’t describe either as a rollercoaster ride and since a helicopter has rotary wings (the main rotor) they can flex more than an airplane’s wings resulting in feeling less motion.

Some people enjoy helicopters such as the MD500 which are sometimes flown with doors off which I wouldn’t recommend for anyone who’s concerned about flying in a helicopter.

I’ve never taken a flightseeing tour because of the cost but it’s a great way to view places that are only visible from the air. But if someone is extremely nervous about flying in a helicopter that can result in queasiness even when the conditions are perfect. There are small airplane tours which some have enjoyed but when considering all factors flying in a helicopter would my preference.

Don’t worry, they provide noise cancelling headphones with music and narration so the other passengers won’t hear you scream.

It’s no bumpier than a commercial plane ride. Very cool when they circle a vent to see the lava flowing.

Don’t worry, they provide noise cancelling headphones with music and narration so the other passengers won’t hear you scream.

It’s no bumpier than a commercial plane ride. Very cool when they circle a vent to see the lava flowing.

Being much more maneuverable, a helicopter can provide great views that are not possible in an airplane.

I haven’t checked recently but there were flight restrictions during the current eruptive phase.

• 3 weeks later...

We did this several years ago. All the while planning the trip I was apprehensive. When I saw how my husband was so excited for us to share this once in a lifetime moment I just sucked it up. When the helicopter takes off and up it was smooth. Even in a car I'm putting my hand on something to make le feel better. Would I do this again, no but it was a blast. I loved they did a video. My husband was so excited that when the pilot asked him to introduce himself and where he was from Looks puzzled, he couldn't remember. Whatever you decide to do you have to feel good.