NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

I just switched my cruise to NCL Encore. (OA).

The travel agent got me a GTY OA.

Can I use my 30,000 points for a Balcony cabin if I have a GTY or do I need a cabin number to do the upgrade.

Talk to the World Points representatives PH 866-954-4077 for advice.

Every case is a little different, depending on the cruise you choose.

They may ask you to upgrade, and purchase a OA cabin, then transfer to a specific Balcony.

If this sounds confusing, don't take the first thing they offer.:)

You should have a good idea of the cruise and Balcony Cabin you want, so you can help them help you.

BTW, the farther out you book, the more cabins are available.

For us, the best cabins were already taken, with a year to go.

Good Luck,

Michael

If you wish, let us know what happens.

GO BILLS!

Edited by $hip$hape

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, according to the world points rep, I can't use points to upgrade someone else's cabin.

In this particular voyage, I was doing a back to back cruise with relatives only doing the 2nd portion of the B2B cruise.

If we were only doing 1 voyage then I could switch passenger cabins on the reservation and then to the correct cabins once on board the ship.

Anyone know of a way around this so that i can use worldpoints for a meta upgrade on another cabin?

Edited by Cwipes

Unfortunately, according to the world points rep, I can't use points to upgrade someone else's cabin.

In this particular voyage, I was doing a back to back cruise with relatives only doing the 2nd portion of the B2B cruise.

If we were only doing 1 voyage then I could switch passenger cabins on the reservation and then to the correct cabins once on board the ship.

Anyone know of a way around this so that i can use worldpoints for a meta upgrade on another cabin?

Do you have time for the other party to get a Norwegian credit card? If yes, then you could just transfer the points to their credit card. Then They can upgrade their own cabin.

I called world points and they told me I cannot go from an OA to a BA with my 30,000 points. I would have to go to a BF. which it would not be cost wise to do. I'm on the Encore the 5 of Jan 2020. Booked in an OA GTY. Not sure why TA booked me in a GTY. It is same price as a numbered cabin. Now not sure what to do.

I called world points and they told me I cannot go from an OA to a BA with my 30,000 points. I would have to go to a BF. which it would not be cost wise to do. I'm on the Encore the 5 of Jan 2020. Booked in an OA GTY. Not sure why TA booked me in a GTY. It is same price as a numbered cabin. Now not sure what to do.

BF is still a better cabin than OA is it not? It's a balcony cabin.

Your OA is guaranteed to be on deck 9, 10, 11, 12 or 13... Not to mention, OA is about as far as you can possibly get away from elevators/stairs. The only location for OA cabins according to deck plans are on the very front of the ship facing forward.

A BF would be on either deck 9 or 10.

Me personally, I'd rather have the balcony to sit on and enjoy than be in an OA from looking at the deck plans.

The problem is BF is only $200 more then what I'm paying. A BA is more then $400. So a BA would be worth the 30,000 points, But a BF would not as I can get OBC $300 for the 30,000 points.

OA is $1149

BF is $1259

BA is $1339

Why not go ahead and just move to a BF cabin (pay the $110/person difference) and then use your points to upgrade within the same category (BF to BA or B8 whichever they consider 4 levels)... That's only a 20,000 point upgrade and still leaves you $100 to claim in OBC. Isn't ideal but could possibly get you from OA to BA or B8 for only $110/person out of pocket.

• 3 months later...

I called Tuesday and requested $100 in OBC for 10,000 points.  They sent me an Amenity Confirmation which shows the OBC along with other things we already had.  I also received a Branded Redemption Transaction Details which showed the transaction.  When I go to the NCL website, though, and look at the vacation summary, it does not show, only the OBC that I previously had.  Should I be concerned?  Does it take a while to update?

3 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

I called Tuesday and requested $100 in OBC for 10,000 points.  They sent me an Amenity Confirmation which shows the OBC along with other things we already had.  I also received a Branded Redemption Transaction Details which showed the transaction.  When I go to the NCL website, though, and look at the vacation summary, it does not show, only the OBC that I previously had.  Should I be concerned?  Does it take a while to update?

The WP OBC does not show up on NCL website vacation summary.  It's always been on my account when I boarded the ship.

• Thanks 1

What is my best use of 40K points if I don't have a new cruise booked yet?  Can I really get a 7 day cruise for 2 for free? Or is it just an upgrade?  I have only used points in the past for OBC (not a good use of points)

9 minutes ago, dna529 said:

What is my best use of 40K points if I don't have a new cruise booked yet?  Can I really get a 7 day cruise for 2 for free? Or is it just an upgrade?  I have only used points in the past for OBC (not a good use of points)

Yes you can get a free cruise for 2. I did it last spring break. We got an inside cabin and it included 1 perk (drink package!). I have never used my points for OBC. Better value in upgrading cabin or cashing in on a free cruise.  

19 minutes ago, dna529 said:

40K points is not enough for a free cruise.  I have enough points for the balcony and haven't booked a free cruise yet.

7-Day Caribbean Or 7-Day Mexican Riviera Cruise For Two:*

Inside Stateroom 137,900
Oceanview Stateroom 157,900
Balcony Stateroom 227,900

22 hours ago, Heather1972 said:

That's 40,000 points for each additional guest 3 - 8. You still have to pay for the first two guests out of pocket. 

That makes sense.  Thanks.  A little misleading on the Bank of America site though.  

I have close to 200000 points, usually sail from New York, have anyone redeemed points for free cruise from NYC, say bermuda or Bahamas 7 day cruises? I see only Caribbean or Mexico cruises qualify.  Do you get perks with free cruise that come with regular bookings, beverage package will cost extra? Thank you.

2 hours ago, tridentairlines said:

I have close to 200000 points, usually sail from New York, have anyone redeemed points for free cruise from NYC, say bermuda or Bahamas 7 day cruises? I see only Caribbean or Mexico cruises qualify.  Do you get perks with free cruise that come with regular bookings, beverage package will cost extra? Thank you.

I have over 200,000 points and have not redeemed them yet.  I was told they could only be used for Mexico or Caribbean and no free perks.

4 hours ago, tridentairlines said:

Bermuda is definitely out. I wonder if a Bahamas cruise would count as a Caribbean cruise? I would call about that.  I was given the choice of one perk (chose the drink package) with our inside cabin when I cashed in my points for a free cruise spring break of 2018. 

54 minutes ago, Heather1972 said:

Bermuda is definitely out. I wonder if a Bahamas cruise would count as a Caribbean cruise? I would call about that.  I was given the choice of one perk (chose the drink package) with our inside cabin when I cashed in my points for a free cruise spring break of 2018. 

I will ask again about the perk when I go to redeem my points for my free cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am planning to book a 11 night cruise to Greece and Italy on the Jade in September 2019. I would like to book an inside room and then do a double meta upgrade to a balcony room. I currently am about 3,500 point shy of the 60,000 points needed for the upgrade. Can I book an inside room and airfare to get the points and then upgrade at a later date? Does anyone know how long it takes the points to hit the NCL Mastercard account? Also, does the upgrade only allow you to go from a specific inside category to that same category balcony? Or can I upgrade to any balcony category? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!