Walkie Talkie

SouthLyonCruiser

Sorry about this question but I am so illiterate when it comes to looking up answers to questions on Cruise Critic.

This is about the use of walkie talkies on board. I am putting this here because our next cruise is on Norwegian.

We are going with our daughter and family. There is a four year old going and some of the things that her family are doing on board are iffy when it comes to taking our four year old grandson and they are things that we will not be doing.

We want them to be able to get a hold of us if he acts up and is not interested in staying. Will walkie talkies work on board. We are not interested in using our flip phones to contact us even if it were possible.

Anyone with any experience?

We used walkie talkies on our first 2 cruises even though a lot of people are very against them here. They work OK. They aren't perfect, but they are helpful if you don't have a smartphone. Now we just use the iConcierge app to communicate. Unsurprisingly, it isn't perfect, either.

I don't find them any more annoying than many phone ring tones, personal music being played out loud, or shouting back and forth. Of course don't take them into any inside venue please. Use an earphone if it's equipped.

Other than that, the effectiveness is quite limited from cabins to the top decks. Better chance from a balcony cabin to an area up top on the same side. The more decks between you, and the more distance fire to aft the less effective they are. Look for models which claim higher power.

While some report moderate success, those reports are rare.

You are most likely to be more frustrated and irritated than those around you with how poorly walkie talkie perform on a big metal can floating in the middle of the ocean.

My advice is leave them home and come up with a Plan B for taking over duties of watching the Little Darling who may morph into Mr Cranky Pants.

Perhaps just grab the bull by the horns and entertain the grandkid while the parents do that thing they figure might make the youngster grumpy. Everyone’s happy!

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by StolidCruiser
typos galore

Leave them at home please. No one wants to hear you and your group members yelling into a walkie talkie. They do not work very well on board anyway.

Exactly, not interested in hearing the loud two way conversation on my vacation. Put the child in the kids club, if something comes up they have a system to contact the parents.