Compulsive cruise prep

Nance -

I do often end up putting names in the notepad on my phone (and then usually emailing it to myself). It’s my go-to system (although occasionally I do the same with photos)!

@Shellbelle28

On the dirty clothes bag - we got one of those large mesh laundry bags with the pull tie (you can get them anywhere, Walmart to Amazon). I hang it on one of the coat type hooks in the closet. It’s perfect since with the mesh nothing mildews and it holds lots of clothes! It’s also cheap!

Lynn

:)

A mesh bag sounds like a good idea. In hotels, I typically use the plastic drawstring laundry bags they provide in the room closet, though that *can* end up mildewy. DH said the NCL laundry bags were too nice and it felt like we'd be stealing to stuff dirty clothes in to take home (vs. actually using the ship laundry service.)

A mesh bag sounds like a good idea. In hotels, I typically use the plastic drawstring laundry bags they provide in the room closet, though that *can* end up mildewy. DH said the NCL laundry bags were too nice and it felt like we'd be stealing to stuff dirty clothes in to take home (vs. actually using the ship laundry service.)

We use this mesh bag that has some wire or something to hold it in a roughly rectangular upright shape. It collapses into a little flat round disk about 5-6 inches in diameter. We have gotten them at either the dollar store or Bed Bath Beyond for the kids dorms (back in the day) and I figured they would work well for trips! When we leave the ship (if/when we are flying), I have a large plastic bag that i put everything into and then stuff that into one of the suitcases that has space.

We use this mesh bag that has some wire or something to hold it in a roughly rectangular upright shape. It collapses into a little flat round disk about 5-6 inches in diameter. We have gotten them at either the dollar store or Bed Bath Beyond for the kids dorms (back in the day) and I figured they would work well for trips! When we leave the ship (if/when we are flying), I have a large plastic bag that i put everything into and then stuff that into one of the suitcases that has space.

I use packing cubes when I pack and throw in several extra empty cubes into them when they are packed. As I use clothes, I pack the dirty clothes back into the unused cubes. By the end of the trip all the dirty clothes are packed in cubes, and takes no time to repack at the end of the cruise. I use one cube at end of the trip for travel clothes, so when its time to depart all I have left is a travel cube with the last nights clothes in it and a toiletry bag to take off the ship and those go back into the suitcase for the flight home.

I use packing cubes when I pack and throw in several extra empty cubes into them when they are packed. As I use clothes, I pack the dirty clothes back into the unused cubes. By the end of the trip all the dirty clothes are packed in cubes, and takes no time to repack at the end of the cruise. I use one cube at end of the trip for travel clothes, so when its time to depart all I have left is a travel cube with the last nights clothes in it and a toiletry bag to take off the ship and those go back into the suitcase for the flight home.

That sounds like a very efficient plan! I avoid using cubes, my DH loves them. I feel they take up extra room that I could use to fit more 'stuff' :D

But with this dirty clothes plan, I am seeing the possibilities...

We use those supplied ones in hotels of a short trip, I just don’t want to have to move them into some else when I have to pack 😒 The mesh are so cheap, light, take up no room on your luggage, and I just throw them in since they are already seperated. On the ncl bags - never used their bags except for laundry service - Gawd, they would probably charge $100 bucks for that if someone took it 😣 That would be one expensive cotton laundry bag!

Happy Sailing!

Lynn

We use those supplied ones in hotels of a short trip, I just don’t want to have to move them into some else when I have to pack [emoji19] The mesh are so cheap, light, take up no room on your luggage, and I just throw them in since they are already seperated. On the ncl bags - never used their bags except for laundry service - Gawd, they would probably charge $100 bucks for that if someone took it [emoji21] That would be one expensive cotton laundry bag!

Happy Sailing!

Lynn

Last week on the Pearl, the laundry bags were a heavy duty plastic (hard to describe, they definitely weren't flimsy, similar to an upscale store shopping bag?) with a cord drawstring.

That sounds like a very efficient plan! I avoid using cubes, my DH loves them. I feel they take up extra room that I could use to fit more 'stuff' :D

But with this dirty clothes plan, I am seeing the possibilities...

I don't do it for the space, but for the efficiency and organization.

The packs are never jammed packed so neither is the suitcase. The suitcase is never heavy enough to hit the airline weight limit.

I used to do a lot of international travel for a couple of weeks at a time and was in a different hotel every night. I found this system worked well for me and I never left stuff in the hotel when I needed to rush out to a new destination the next morning.

If I use cubes, the suitcase is full, organized, and remains discrete if I have to open it with people around. I was once in a meeting with customers and a colleague pulled out his computer from his bag and his underwear came out with it. :eek:

I have adapted the method for vacation travel now as I am able to completely unpack with stuff still in the cubes and on a shelf in the closet. Leaves lots of the hanger and drawer space for the DW when she unpacks. I usually get one drawer for dirty cubes/clothes and stuff I don't want sitting out in the open. Keeps us both happy. :D

I like the packing cubes - I have them in every size. We have used them on our last 2 cruises. I thought about using them for dirty clothes but I was not sure they would wash well. How did they hold up to the washing machine?

Last week on the Pearl, the laundry bags were a heavy duty plastic (hard to describe, they definitely weren't flimsy, similar to an upscale store shopping bag?) with a cord drawstring.

I know the ones that you mean! As you say, not the kind of “material” seen in many other items.

When it gets this close—less than a month away—I’m so ready to go that I keep looking for ways to prepare. So far I’ve set aside all my clothes and toiletries and bought a minifan recommended here and compostable plastic straws.

Keep me off Amazon! Tell me what else I can do, like downloading music on my iPad last night, that won't cost anything but keep my cruise compulsion satisfied!

I am the antithesis , literally 30 minutes before I went to sleep ( next morning headed to nyc) i threw a few things into my pack

So, does part of anyone's early planning include regularly checking NCL.com to see if pricing or promo offers have changed?

If so, how often do you check and how do you track it? Lemme see THAT spreadsheet brothers and sisters!

We booked about 7 weeks ago - the day the booking opened. I checked about 2 weeks later and the rate increased $200. After that I sort of forgot to check back again. I just looked now and the fare increased $400!

Sorry - I don't keep a spreadsheet for this- lol

So, does part of anyone's early planning include regularly checking NCL.com to see if pricing or promo offers have changed?

If so, how often do you check and how do you track it? Lemme see THAT spreadsheet brothers and sisters!

I was checking three times a day. It paid off when I was able to direct upgrade from a MS w/lrg balcony to a Haven Courtyard PH for half of what I had bid. The price dropped $500pp on the afternoon of July 4th, I upgraded first thing on July 5th, and the price went back up $300pp on July 7th. Timing is everything.

I was checking three times a day. It paid off when I was able to direct upgrade from a MS w/lrg balcony to a Haven Courtyard PH for half of what I had bid. The price dropped $500pp on the afternoon of July 4th, I upgraded first thing on July 5th, and the price went back up $300pp on July 7th. Timing is everything.

I check the prices everyday too, sometimes twice. We got lucky on our Baltic cruise last September 2017. When the price went down for a few days on a spa Haven suite, we jumped on it. Did not bid.

On our upcoming cruise, no luck so far. Prices staying exactly the same. There do not appear to be that many spa cabins or suites left which is what I want. I think capacity is important too as well as timing. Our cruise is going east instead of west Caribbean so maybe a lot of people are interested in going back there after the hurricanes last year. Two weeks to go! Time to start packing! All my stuff is out in a guest room!

My coworker checks airline ticket prices every day. If the price goes down she calls and receives credit toward a future flight (with Jet Blue).

I now use CruiseWatch to track price drops. I've got to call my TA today as the price has dropped for my March sailing and we are 60 days out from final payment yet.

My very first cruise, I spent a lot time in the cabin sick w/ a nasty respiratory bug that I acquired day 1 of cruise. Post cruise, I read this tip about cleaning the cabin as soon as you arrive. Now, I always pack a pair or two of disposable gloves, disinfectant wipes and a small bottle of rubbing alcohol mixed w/water. When I get into the cabin, I wipe down the toilet, sinks, shower controls, door handles, drawer pulls, ALL smooth surfaces, phone and remote control just to be on the safe side. Call me nutty but so far it has worked for us 15 cruises later. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

I check occasionally. I like when it goes like this:

Bliss September 29, 2018 sailing

Booked it in March 2017: 719.00

October 2017: 1079.00

January 2018 1539.00

June 2018 1559.00.

I haven't tried Cruise Watch, is it simpler than mock booking on NCL?
You set up a search and any time the rate drops, you will receive an email. It's only for the lowest sail away rate for each category type, but it indicates that the prices are decreasing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk