"Bike Through Acadia National Park" with HAL?

NickAndysMom

I'm hoping to get feedback from someone who's taken this tour with Holland America. I see reviews of what might be a similar tour with Royal Caribbean, but can't find anything about the HAL tour.

I'm interested to know which sights one sees on the tour, and whether the route is relatively flat or over more hilly terrain.

We will be on the Maasdam in July, and are considering this tour when in Bar Harbor. Our ship is in port until only 3:00 p.m. If we want to bike, it seems like our best bet from a time perspective might be to take the ship's tour.

Appreciate any feedback!

Beverly

Thanks for your response.

Given that our time in port is short, I think we're going to stick with a ship's tour, if we decide to bike.

Since we've never been to Bar Harbor before, we're also considering something that will let us see more of the sights in our limited time. Biking sounds fun, but then I think we might miss some of Bar Harbor's most popular sights.

I really wouldn't say Bar Harbor has a lot of 'sights' that one might say, can't be missed. Bar Harbor is really just a great small town, with some amazing restaurants, and lovely shops. If you are there at low tide, you can walk to Bar Island, on, what was the ocean floor, when the tide is high, but most people go there as it is a gateway to Acadia Park.

We happen to love Bar harbor, it's quaintness and just the feel of a picturesque NE town, but there really aren't very many must see 'sites', as far as we know.

Cheers

Len

I'm not familiar with this excursion, but I am very familiar with ANP. You will be biking on the historic carriage roads through the park. I know the carriage roads from a hiker's perspective. Carriage roads were originally designed for horses, and you may see some on your ride. No cars or any other motorized vehicle is allowed. You will almost certainly bike near Eagle Lake and Bubble Pond, as it's a very popular route. Both the lake and the pond are very scenic, and you will see some of the famous carriage road bridges which are made of granite and are very pretty. Lots of shade, too, as you will be biking through a heavily wooded area. The route is not steep, but there are long uphill and downhill grades. I'm sure it's easier on a bike than walking, as I do! Enjoy!

Since we've never been to Bar Harbor before, we're also considering something that will let us see more of the sights in our limited time.

I don't see how a ship's biking tour is going to save you any time. Need to wait for everyone to get fitted with a bike, will need to bike at a slower pace, etc.

But I can appreciate the extra peace of mind provided by a ship's tour.

• 3 weeks later...

We did the Bike excursion thru the park a few years ago when Celebrity was still doing the Canada/NE sailings. What was billed as a leisurely 5 mile ride turned out to be a 12 mile ride with some MAJOR hills (even the instructors walked their bikes up the first one). Keep in mind we sailed in August and it was a hot day which did make it a bit uncomfortable. There was maybe 25+ people in our group ranging in age from teens to seniors - and the older adults and those that may not have been in the best of physical shape really struggled. The views and terrain were beautiful but it was not a "flat" road/path excursion by any means. My wife and I kept saying thru the trail - this is not a "moderate" excursion (at the time we were mid forties and in moderate to good physical shape). On the other hand...our teens loved it!

I really appreciate your sharing your experience. That's what I was afraid of!

We've decided to save the bike riding for Quebec City, where there's a fairly flat road we can take to Montmorency Falls after renting bikes on our own near the cruise port. In Bar Harbor, which we haven't visited before, we are going to do Oli's Trolley Acadia National Park tour.

Your recap of your bike tour in Bar Harbor makes me think we've made a good decision!

Beverly

• 2 weeks later...
We're thinking about biking on our own, rather than with a ship's tour. Any recommendations for rental places?

Liberty Cruiser, are there less challenging routes than the one you linked to?

You can rent from Acadia Bike Rentals.

Here is a map from the tender dock to the bike shop, and then to the shuttle bus.

If you're not interested in the Jordan Pond House, you can do the 6 mile Eagle Lake loop.

Here is the schedule for the Bicycle Express shuttle.

LC