Nth Qld ports

Nelie

So I was after some information and couldn’t seem to find iton the P&O website but I figured everyone on here is more knowledgeable anyway.

My mum and I are booked on the Pacific jewel in October takingin North Queensland . Airlie Beach, Cairns and Port Douglas and I have a few questions.

1. Are these all tender ports I got the impression theywere but just wanted verification either way.

2. Whereexactly do the tenders actually come in.

3. Approx. how long do they take.

4. Any bathroom facilities once off then tender

5. Can you walk around and explore from where theydock or is there a need to catch a taxi or public transport.

I’m asking because after some health issues earlier in theyear which have now been resolved I’ve been left with anxiety over certain situations.Basically I get anxiety if there is not a bathroom nearby. I was often unwellwhen travelling on the train and needed a bathroom asap. Trouble is the anxietycauses me to need the bathroom. Vicious circle. I am on mediation and seeing a psychologist towhich is helping. Anyone who has dealt with anxiety knows how frustrating itcan be at times and life restricting. I had thought about cancelling theholiday as its definitely going to challenge me but decided to go ahead with itand just try and prepare as best I can.

Thanks for you help

Hi Nelie, I'll try and give you the little information I know.

1)

Cairns is not a tender port

Airlie Beach is a tender port

Port Douglas I couldn't tell you

2)

Airlie Beach is quite a distance and I couldn't tell you where it arrives as the seas were too rough and our tenders were cancelled.

Cairns terminal is great with a pub built right at the wharf.

3, 4&5)

I can only convent for Cairns, there are certainly toilets there and plenty of public transport options. Or you can simply walk around the wharf and town

As for Airlie Beach and Port Douglas unfortunately I do not know.

Thanks for the advice.

I had read somewhere that Cairns can't handle some of this bigger ships . I'm on the Pacific Jewel and have no idea whether it was classified as big or not.I m 162cm tall. They are all big lol

Thanks for the advice.

I had read somewhere that Cairns can't handle some of this bigger ships . I'm on the Pacific Jewel and have no idea whether it was classified as big or not.I m 162cm tall. They are all big lol

Anytime at all. I wish I could be of more help

I couldn't say regarding the ship sizes. I do however know that the P&O Pacific Aria and the Pacific Explorer were at Cairns at the exact same time on the 26th of August 2018 and we both fit in the wharf.

Anytime at all. I wish I could be of more help

I couldn't say regarding the ship sizes. I do however know that the P&O Pacific Aria and the Pacific Explorer were at Cairns at the exact same time on the 26th of August 2018 and we both fit in the wharf.

Oh awesome.

I tried to find where I had seen "big ships" can't use it. I think it was due to harbour depth. Anyway if it's based on length, then the Jewel was between Explorer and Aria. Starting to get some better feelings about the trip now. Hopefully I'll get off the ship in cairns now. I was looking at maybe getting some transport to flecker gardens. My mum is into flowers so I thought she would like that. I might be a bit bored but I figure she is going to miss out on some stuff if my anxiety plays up. Plus I do like taking photos. I use all the flower photos to make calender for her for Xmas :p

Port Douglas

1. Port Douglas is a tender Port

2. The tenders arrive at the Crystalbrook Superyacht Marina

3. It takes about 20 - 25 depending on weather

4. The Marina has public bathroom facilities as well as a few restuarants and a brewery with their own bathrooms

5. To get to the main street is about 5 minutes walk. The beach is about 15 minutes walk (don't swim on the marina side - crocodiles) Port Douglas has local shuttle services that cost $3 per person to the main shopping area if you would prefer. Any business will call one for you or you can flag them down on the street. It will cost a little extra to get further from the centre, say to Wildlife Habitats.

Hope you enjoy your time in PD.

Thanks for the advice.

The Jewel and Dawn both go to Yorkey's Knob, not Cairns port, so it is a tender port.

I don't know why, since the Sun Princess fits into Cairns. I assume that both the P&O ships must have a deeper draught.

The Jewel and Dawn both go to Yorkey's Knob, not Cairns port, so it is a tender port.

I don't know why, since the Sun Princess fits into Cairns. I assume that both the P&O ships must have a deeper draught.

Mmm yeah that is sounding familiar. Any idea exactly where at yorkeys knob. Or how long tender takes approx