Acadia Exploring - suggestions needed

jmz43

Will be in Acadia in 2 weeks. I am trying to figure out the best way to tour the park. My wife had knee surgery recently so alot of walking is out of the question and probably the Island Shuttle as well. There doesn't seem to be a way to rent a car at the port. We don't like taking bus tours as we like the freedom to stop and enjoy the moments. Any other ways to get around the park in a leisurely fashion? Any other independent tour operators that can drive us around the park? Thanks.

Will be in Acadia in 2 weeks. I am trying to figure out the best way to tour the park. My wife had knee surgery recently so alot of walking is out of the question and probably the Island Shuttle as well. There doesn't seem to be a way to rent a car at the port. We don't like taking bus tours as we like the freedom to stop and enjoy the moments. Any other ways to get around the park in a leisurely fashion? Any other independent tour operators that can drive us around the park? Thanks.
What's wrong with the Island Shuttle? It's free and runs frequently to various points in Acadia. Alot more convenient than renting a car. A couple other alternatives are horse-drawn carriage and by bike.

Normally, I wouldn't have any problem using the Island Explorer but with my wife's recent knee surgery I am a little hesitant and biking is out of the question. I am assuming if we get off to check out an area then we need to wait for the next bus to arrive. If the island Explorer is our best option then which route would you suggest.

Archived