Let's start a "Don't Miss List" in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway

KENLORJUS

Looking for anything and everything anyone wants to recommend is a MUST NOT MISS list. Looking forward to seeing what others have to say. Please share if it was on your own, through your cruise ship or a local tour provider. Thanks in advance and I bet we can make an amazing list that will benefit many.

There are hundreds of "musts" in Alaska. BUT, most important is to figure out YOUR interests. Too many times- I see posts, that are wavering on tour bookings- where it's clear, they aren't that interested, BUT, someone told them it's a "must do".

There are hundreds of "musts" in Alaska. BUT, most important is to figure out YOUR interests. Too many times- I see posts, that are wavering on tour bookings- where it's clear, they aren't that interested, BUT, someone told them it's a "must do".

By everyone giving some input - there may be some thing that some of us newbies were not aware of.

For instance, I have no idea about what to do in Victoria. Looking for some opinions. ot necessarily must do, but some things that interest others.

I agree there's too much to suggest.... where should we start? Need to make multiple cruises to fit it all in.

• need extra days in Vancouver.... there's too much to do and eat. Capilano? Grouse? Whistler? Victoria? Dim Sum? Storybrooke? Banff? Orca whale watches? Day trip to Seattle?
  • love the White Pass train... make it a bus combo to explore both sides of the canyon.
  • love the lip service at the Red Onion
  • love the history in Liarsville
  • love Mendenhall... make it a whale watch combo to save time.
  • if you can't decide.... look for the "Best of.... " to let the tour organizer decide for you
  • we often said Glacier Bay should be a must include for a first timer

[YOUTUBE]RiaOlvSRMAk[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]cF1l3vfKWAM[/YOUTUBE]

Skagway the train journey and Juneau Taku Lodge float plane and BBQ. Sitka sea life and otter quest.

We truly enjoyed all the excursions we took, some better than others, but just being in Alaska is truly special no matter what you are doing. Good idea to start this thread. Jean.

I'm going to go in a different direction here! :)

Juneau: Take the time to go up to Mount Roberts. Tons of hiking to do there and you can take your time when doing it. If you're looking for an excursion, I wholeheartedly recommend taking a helicopter ride out to Mendenhall Glacier.

Ketchikan: Do a self guided walking tour. You can check them out here: LINK. My wife and I did this and thoroughly enjoyed it. Gave me a new appreciation of the city. Plus we ended up at Burger Queen for lunch! (Great greasy burgers!)

Skagway: Like Ketchikan, do a self guided walking tour. You can check it out here: LINK. We broke up the tour by timing it to also go to the Days of '98 Show. (LINK) It was totally worth it. Hokey, but fun!

I was mainly interested in outdoor activities, history, and culture (especially the chance to chat with local folks at length), and I would consider all of my choices to be potential "musts" for anyone with similar tastes. I booked Wild Wolf Tours directly and everything else through a third party agent. Feel free to check out my trip report for more details and photos.

Ketchikan - Totem Bight Park and Lunch Creek Trail with Wild Wolf Tours, Dolly's House

Juneau - Level 3 Extended Glacier Trek via Helicopter with Northstar Trekking

Skagway - Triple Adventure Tour (Hike, Bike, Float) with Sockeye Cycling and Skagway Float Tours, Red Onion Saloon tour, hike on my own to Lower Dewey Lake

Ketchikan - Without out any doubt the jet boat Misty Fjords tour we took with float plane back to town was the best tour we've ever done. Misty Fjords is unreal with the cliffs and waterfalls. Like Yosemite but flooded. On the boat part while on the way there there was lots of wildlife including spotting whales.

Juneau - when our helicopter glacier tour was cancelled due to weather we had time to kill so took city bus to Glacier Gardens. Very interesting if you are in to gardening and or just want a sense of being deep in a rainforest. Definitely in our plans to return in June.

Skagway - never been there. :(

Sitka - the Alaska Raptor Center was interesting as was the National Historical Park but the Russian Dancers bit was a let down. But the Russian Bishop's House is definitely on our list for June.

I agree there's too much to suggest.... where should we start? Need to make multiple cruises to fit it all in.

•  
  • need extra days in Vancouver.... there's too much to do and eat. Capilano? Grouse? Whistler? Victoria? Dim Sum? Storybrooke? Banff? Orca whale watches? Day trip to Seattle?

• love the White Pass train... make it a bus combo to explore both sides of the canyon.

• love the lip service at the Red Onion

• love the history in Liarsville

• love Mendenhall... make it a whale watch combo to save time.

• if you can't decide.... look for the "Best of.... " to let the tour organizer decide for you

• we often said Glacier Bay should be a must include for a first timer

[YOUTUBE]RiaOlvSRMAk[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]cF1l3vfKWAM[/YOUTUBE]

Have you any info on the white pass/bus combo? We definitely plan to do the train. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have you any info on the white pass/bus combo? We definitely plan to do the train. Thanks.
Looking at the NCL site for Skagway excursions... there are a few White Pass combo's https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/excursions/search?Ntt=Skagway, Alaska&Ntk=ShorexPort

• Best of Skagway w/ Liarsville & Red Onion
  • Yukon Expedition w/ Carcross & Caribou Crossing
  • Klondike Gold Fields & Panning
  • Suspension Bridge