Cloud Holiday 12/21 Cruise Cape Town RT

CruisinPashmina

Hi Pashmina,

We are out at the big wharf (it's in your documents) :( I hadn't organised transfers and booked Table Bay so we could just walk on but the new terminal isn't finished.

Waldo Jr is in Kruger and the weather has been very wet. We fly tomorrow.

See you soon.

Merry Xmas to everyone else.

Hi Pashmina, We are out at the big wharf (it's in your documents) :( I hadn't organised transfers and booked Table Bay so we could just walk on but the new terminal isn't finished. Waldo Jr is in Kruger and the weather has been very wet. We fly tomorrow. See you soon. Merry Xmas to everyone else.

CruisinPashmina: Cloud Holiday 12/21 Cruise Cape Town RT Anyone know who will be the Captain' date=' the Hotel Director, and the Criuise Director on this sailing? Any ideas of which port will be used? I am so hoping for the small Waterfront berth...so easy to be able to just stroll on. Thanks and [b']Merry Christmas to all![/b]

Appreciate your postings and looking forward to following along. Yes, Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all traveling on the Silver Cloud. Let us know if Cruise Director Alan King is performing on this journey. Tell him that we said "HI!".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 24,129 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

We are aboard currently with Capt Tomasz Kulas, hotel dir Ken Fella and CD Bob Leininger, but don't know if they are staying on. Ship in generally good shape, but struggling with AC. Suites vary widely from insufferable to frigid. Particularly acute in the gym, which regularly reaches into the 40s (Celsius) by early afternoon. Several pieces of exercise gear out of order (for longer than our 33 days). No apparent motivation to do much before the refit. But it's an improvised space and not too heavily used aside from a few of us (very damp) diehards. Xmas decor went up a few days ago, and the ship looks quite festive. Food and drink are magnificent and the crew working to a very high standard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes! Aimee, her husband and their two little girls will be meeting me in Cape Town tomorrow night. I'm a bit, actually a lot, discouraged by Mickey Monroe's dire reports on the AC problems on the Cloud. If you remember, Whisper sister # 3 is a jock and she won't be happy with broken equipment.

BUT....It'll be fun, no matter what...just to be sailing with family and to celebrate Christmas and New Year's together.🎄

On another subject; I am seriously considering going on the September TA on the Muse. Would your friend like me? I think of you and T as my pals, and BRILLIANT Trivia players...just a warning...I may show up!

XXO, and a very Merry Christmas! ❤️

Pash aka Whisper Sister, the Elder.

Yes! Aimee, her husband and their two little girls will be meeting me in Cape Town tomorrow night. I'm a bit, actually a lot, discouraged by Mickey Monroe's dire reports on the AC problems on the Cloud. If you remember, Whisper sister # 3 is a jock and she won't be happy with broken equipment.

BUT....It'll be fun, no matter what...just to be sailing with family and to celebrate Christmas and New Year's together.🎄

On another subject; I am seriously considering going on the September TA on the Muse. Would your friend like me? I think of you and T as my pals, and BRILLIANT Trivia players...just a warning...I may show up!

XXO, and a very Merry Christmas! ❤️

Pash aka Whisper Sister, the Elder.

If you go on the TA, I hope you will consider staying on for the Montreal to FLL trip. If so, we'll see you there!

A few updates: We boarded the Cloud yesterday in Cape Town. The ship is indeed very festive. Dinner last night in La Terrasse was wonderful. Rather rough seas leaving port, but I took this as a welcome back to sea!

Looking for Mrs. Waldo to get a Trivia team organized. Mrs W, I am in 522. Hope to catch up with you.

V, I am indeed going to be on the Muse from Montreal to Ft Lauderdale. Looking forward to it. Booked this one months ago.

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄 to all!

For those reading along.

We are just pulling into Walvis Bay. The service has been typical Cloud, excellent. The aircon has been fickle and the food excellent.

There are 190 guests aboard from a variety of nations. No confirmation as to the domainant but we are yet to meet the other Australians it appears there are a lot of Brits.

Most importantly we, The Pashminas and Waldos have combined to make a winning combination and are 2-0 up in the trivia contest

Happy Holidays on the Cloud. Great memories of your itinerary and our favorite ship since first SS cruise in 1994. Who are the Captain and HD.

Appreciate these follow-ups and added information. Looking forward to more info and background on this fun adventure. Also share with us if Alan King is back on the Silver Cloud as the CD. Keep it coming!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 206,806 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

After 2 sea days, we expect to be in Port Elizabeth at 4 pm. Once again we will have to through another face to face inspection. This will be our third inspection. I was told that all these inspections are because of so many people trying to get into Namibia and South Africa. Economic migrations seem to be growing everywhere.

Meanwhile....the weather is much nicer today. The seas are more calm, the fierce winds have diminished.

The food on this voyage has been outstanding...I think it's the best I've had for several years. The wines range from fine to wonderful.

Before I boarded, I was certain that the owner would have been less concerned about the maintainence of this ship since she was going to be fully remodeled in August. Not so. I think the Cloud looks better than did the Wind last spring.

We are enjoying daily Trivia. The CD is Bob Leininger...new to me. And a very nice calm and cheerful person. Yesterday I told him that, as a Trivia fiend, he had been awarded a gold star.....my family's highest rating. One disappointment is that our meetings are not very well attended..only three teams. I think that's because there are a lot of Germans on board...a few French, and some South Americans, and these folks may be concerned about language difficulties. Our team consists of Australians, British and Americans...and we are happily ahead in wins.

Gotta go play..early this morning because of our 4pm port arrival.

I agree that stowing away on a small cruise ship seems improbable, but two sources have assured me that this can be a problem. Thanks for your kind wishes for a lovely voyage.

Back to nicer issues...Our team, including three smart, fun Waldos, won again today.

For the past few days, our Trivia team, minus me, has been joining a group of golfers in the hallway on deck five. People who choose to travel on large, extensively equipt ships just wouldn't believe how hokey this Silversea golf competition is, and how well loved. Menus are opened up into tepees as obstacles. The ocean swells make for crazy breaks, and the players get quite serious. I have to force myself not to laugh...these kinds of good natured and silly games makes this formal line very special, and ultimately unpretentious...a paradox, perhaps, but a lot of fun.

More from some of the upcoming ports...

weather is much nicer today. The seas are more calm, the fierce winds have diminished. The food on this voyage has been outstanding...I think it's the best I've had for several years. The wines range from fine to wonderful. Before I boarded, I was certain that the owner would have been less concerned about the maintainence of this ship since she was going to be fully remodeled in August. Not so. I think the Cloud looks better than did the Wind last spring. We are enjoying daily Trivia. The CD is Bob Leininger...new to me. And a very nice calm and cheerful person. Yesterday I told him that, as a Trivia fiend, he had been awarded a gold star.....my family's highest rating.

Appreciate these excellent and very detailed postings. Glad that the food, look of the ship, etc., are at such a high level. Plus, Trivia success!!! What are you doing at Port Elizabeth? Keep up the great sharing.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 46,553 views for these postings.

Just back from a mini "safari" out of East London. Nice bus ride out of town to a 6,000 hectares reserve. For two hours we went over the roughest roads you could possibly imagine to see an assembled group of beautiful animals. We saw lions, including a large family of white ones, all of which were segregated on their own 150 hectare preserve. Also we saw giraffes, cute grey monkeys with white faces, zebras, ostriches, several kinds of antelope, and impala. We got almost on top of juvenile elephants our driver/guide estimated to be between 15 to 18 years old. We saw gnus and a particular kind of Eastern Cape antelope...apparently this was a special thrill as these fellows are very shy. We heard and a few times saw some birds indigenous to this area. In each sighting case, we were very close to the animals, so some of our group were able to get a lot of photographs. There are both black and white rhino, and leopards on the property, but we missed seeing them.

I was a bit put off by the assemblage of wildlife, but in the end, after a truly wonderful experience, I do understand the need for these properties. The animals will not be poached, the land will be kept open, and there will be a lot of jobs produced.

As for Port Elizabeth, where we were yesterday...what a contrast. There were two free tours...one walking and one bus city tour. This is a dire, depressing city. Trash everywhere, sad, dirty buildings, razor wire and bars. Apparently there is a thriving automobile (VW and GM) industry...but nothing felt upbeat to my family group. This could have been a pleasant sea day at port day.

Venetian Society tonight. Durban tomorrow.

Just coming in with a few comments as well.

Totally agree with Pashmina at Port Elizabeth although I suspect being a public holiday didn't help atmosphere. We went down the the beach just out of town after the walking tour and it was a thriving area with lots of people partying, having a braai and an upbeat feel.

Our East London excursion was a Silversea new excursion. We went canoeing on the Nahoon River which we enjoyed very much. Lots of bird life from kingfishers, herons and plovers along with a lone fish eagle. The physical activity was a much needed hit out.

Last night the Captain announced we would be late into Durban due to strong currents and as Miss W is still sleeping soundly (6.30am) I dare not turn on the TV to see just how close we are

The weather has remained overcast and grey and much cooler than many expected.

Edited by MrsWaldo

Hello again. Today we went to the Tala Private Game Reserve about an hour outside of Durban. I had no special expectations, but the two hours plus of driving thru the property were outstanding. We were in a big, specially designed open truck which had a canvas top for shade. As it was cloudy, and slightly cool, with no wind, the morning was absolutely perfect for viewing. And view we did! In no particular order, we saw a Warthog mother with two tiny babies running along behind her, a very large group of giraffes of all ages, including an 8 and a half week old baby, gnus, impalas, antelope, a family of Blue Cranes...the national bird and quite rare, several herds of zebras, hippos, many duck species, a few heron, and the preserves three stars...one black and two white rhinos.

The rhinos have been de horned and have a well armed guard always hidden, at a distance...24 hours a day. 7 months ago poachers snuck in, heavily tranquilized a larger herd and two died before the guard could save them all. Only two sisters and one unrelated male was left. Now the guards shoot to kill the poachers...looks like this new policy, and the dehorning, could be a deterrent. Let's all hope this is the case.

Added to the experience was our marvelous Zulu guide. He was lowkeyed, and extremely informative. It was a terrific excursion....totally unlike the full 4 days we spent, about ten years ago, at the fabulous Singita Lodge in northern SA. But that is a silly comparison. Tala is close in to civilization. You don't fly a tiny plane in, or stay 3 nights in a mind blowing luxury lodge, so you can't have a deeply atmospheric wild safari experience. But, at Tala, you do have wild life, many stops for close up viewing, beautiful scenery in rolling hills, lakes, open fields, some bush, and roads which are tolerably rough.

We accepted the concept, understood the compromises, and LOVED it!

Hello again. Today we went to the Tala Private Game Reserve about an hour outside of Durban. I had no special expectations, but the two hours plus of driving thru the property were outstanding. We were in a big, specially designed open truck which had a canvas top for shade. As it was cloudy, and slightly cool, with no wind, the morning was absolutely perfect for viewing. And view we did! In no particular order, we saw a Warthog mother with two tiny babies running along behind her, a very large group of giraffes of all ages, including an 8 and a half week old baby, gnus, impalas, antelope, a family of Blue Cranes...the national bird and quite rare, several herds of zebras, hippos, many duck species, a few heron, and the preserves three stars...one black and two white rhinos. The rhinos have been de horned and have a well armed guard always hidden, at a distance...24 hours a day. 7 months ago poachers snuck in, heavily tranquilized a larger herd and two died before the guard could save them all. Only two sisters and one unrelated male was left. Now the guards shoot to kill the poachers...looks like this new policy, and the dehorning, could be a deterrent. Let's all hope this is the case. Added to the experience was our marvelous Zulu guide. He was lowkeyed, and extremely informative. It was a terrific excursion....totally unlike the full 4 days we spent, about ten years ago, at the fabulous Singita Lodge in northern SA. But that is a silly comparison. Tala is close in to civilization. You don't fly a tiny plane in, or stay 3 nights in a mind blowing luxury lodge, so you can't have a deeply atmospheric wild safari experience. But, at Tala, you do have wild life, many stops for close up viewing, beautiful scenery in rolling hills, lakes, open fields, some bush, and roads which are tolerably rough. We accepted the concept, understood the compromises, and LOVED it!

Appreciate all of these wonderful details and that your safari experience was so super excellent. Yes, "shoot to kill" has been the policy in Botswana and glad to hear that South Africa is getting more aggressive against those terrible poachers. Look forward to hearing any and all all additional details from your adventures, the ship experiences, etc.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 24,843 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Hello again. Today we went to the Tala Private Game Reserve about an hour outside of Durban. I had no special expectations, but the two hours plus of driving thru the property were outstanding. We were in a big, specially designed open truck which had a canvas top for shade. As it was cloudy, and slightly cool, with no wind, the morning was absolutely perfect for viewing. And view we did! In no particular order, we saw a Warthog mother with two tiny babies running along behind her, a very large group of giraffes of all ages, including an 8 and a half week old baby, gnus, impalas, antelope, a family of Blue Cranes...the national bird and quite rare, several herds of zebras, hippos, many duck species, a few heron, and the preserves three stars...one black and two white rhinos.

The rhinos have been de horned and have a well armed guard always hidden, at a distance...24 hours a day. 7 months ago poachers snuck in, heavily tranquilized a larger herd and two died before the guard could save them all. Only two sisters and one unrelated male was left. Now the guards shoot to kill the poachers...looks like this new policy, and the dehorning, could be a deterrent. Let's all hope this is the case.

Added to the experience was our marvelous Zulu guide. He was lowkeyed, and extremely informative. It was a terrific excursion....totally unlike the full 4 days we spent, about ten years ago, at the fabulous Singita Lodge in northern SA. But that is a silly comparison. Tala is close in to civilization. You don't fly a tiny plane in, or stay 3 nights in a mind blowing luxury lodge, so you can't have a deeply atmospheric wild safari experience. But, at Tala, you do have wild life, many stops for close up viewing, beautiful scenery in rolling hills, lakes, open fields, some bush, and roads which are tolerably rough.

We accepted the concept, understood the compromises, and LOVED it!

Sounds great. Was this a ship's tour or one you arranged privately? We are "following in your footsteps" in February & find your reviews so helpful.

Pashmina did a ships tour.

We did the valley of 1000 hills and found the show quite good but very disappointed by the reptile and croc park. We spent the morning on the ropes course at Ushaka world. Great fun especially zip lining over the shark and turtle lagoon.

We overnights in Richards Bay.

Family Waldo book through Extreme Tours for an overnighter to st Lucia

Miss W got a migraine so stayed behind

We packed a lot in the short time. We drove the eastern reserve, snorkelled at Cape Vidal and had a beach Braai (BBQ). We saw an elephant on the eastern shore which is quite rare. We then did the sunset hippo trip. Great viewing and only 12 on board.

We stayed overnight so had dinner in town then went for a night drive where we got to see the hippos out of the water and some hyena.

We had a very early start after only 5 hours sleep and headed up to Hluhluwe for the day. Lots and lots of babies, huge herds of Cape Buff and then back to the ship for a 5pm.

NYE was great fun and the company awesome.

A little disappointed today that the grand extravaganza in the restaurant did not occur.

I would have liked to book for next year however the Xmas cruises all leave 2 days earlier which is before my work winds up for the year and I'm. Of allowed to take leave 😢

We did the valley of 1000 hills and found the show quite good but very disappointed by the reptile and croc park. We spent the morning on the ropes course at Ushaka world. Great fun especially zip lining over the shark and turtle lagoon. We overnights in Richards Bay. Family Waldo book through Extreme Tours for an overnighter to st Lucia We packed a lot in the short time. We drove the eastern reserve, snorkelled at Cape Vidal and had a beach Braai (BBQ). We saw an elephant on the eastern shore which is quite rare. We then did the sunset hippo trip. Great viewing and only 12 on board. We stayed overnight so had dinner in town then went for a night drive where we got to see the hippos out of the water and some hyena. We had a very early start after only 5 hours sleep and headed up to Hluhluwe for the day. Lots and lots of babies, huge herds of Cape Buff and then back to the ship for a 5pm.

Appreciate these details and the summary on your overnight "adventure" at Port Richards. Glad that things worked out well. Any pictures to share?? Keep it coming with the wonderful sharing!! Look forward to reading more.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 165,412 views for this posting.