New Report says Garden Island

apparently the recent report by former Liberal leader Peter Collins, says GI is the answer and that cruise ships and the Navy can coexist there.

Goes to cabinet before the end of the year I understand.

apparently the recent report by former Liberal leader Peter Collins, says GI is the answer and that cruise ships and the Navy can coexist there.

That is good news. Maybe the problem is all the wealthy people in harbour-side mansions who don't want the extra traffic that a cruise terminal would bring. :D

We'll see just how much influence the residents of Potts Point have with the Liberal Party.

Although I hope they can spruce it up a bit, and it doesn't end up looking like the Brisbane Grain Terminal Wharf.

It is a little unfortunate that a former state MP may have a different opinion to the federal govt though. All well and good the for a state govt to make a decision to move domestic cruise ships to GI it would still have to convince the dept of def, they may be a little harder to convince?

The infrastructure in that part of Sydney is totally unsuitable for a cruise terminal, as slow public transport past GI already demonstrates.

I don't think access to Garden Island is that bad. The main thing it lacks is public transport, however you could easily install a new ferry wharf as part of the re-development and operate regular shuttle services from the Airport/Central.

If this goes ahead it will be interesting to see where the cruise terminal is placed. I remember some ambitious plans came out a few months ago which saw a cruise terminal located on the eastern side of the island.

Not sure it’s much better in terms of access than White Elephant Bay

I would think it is much worse. I visit both by foot and by public transport. Peak hour via GI, I could walk quicker than the bus and have done so, via Botanical Gardens.

I don't think access to Garden Island is that bad. The main thing it lacks is public transport, however you could easily install a new ferry wharf as part of the re-development and operate regular shuttle services from the Airport/Central.

If this goes ahead it will be interesting to see where the cruise terminal is placed. I remember some ambitious plans came out a few months ago which saw a cruise terminal located on the eastern side of the island.

It would need to be able to cater for 2-3 big cruise ships at a time, not just one. Shuttle buses/ferries (probably to Circular Quay) would be a must but many overseas ports have to have those.

I was at Garden Island a few weeks ago and while I do not know the level of importance of the officer I was talking to, when I raised the subject of the possibility of the new cruise terminal being there his comment was that it was highly unlikely.

I was at Garden Island a few weeks ago and while I do not know the level of importance of the officer I was talking to, when I raised the subject of the possibility of the new cruise terminal being there his comment was that it was highly unlikely.

It’s going to be someone above any officer at Garden Island tha5 makes this decision.

It’s interesting that a Peter Collins still hold rank of Captain in the Navy.

Guess we'll see - as has been the case for a while.

Garden Island does already have a ferry wharf, though doesn't get a lot of use due to the limited access at present. Were that to change, it could readily be used - but that requires connectivity to the cruise ships.

The original plan around cruise ships at the western extension would still be disconnected (but better for tourists to e.g. walk into the city from there).

If on the eastern side as another mentioned that would be better connected to the ferry wharf - but probably exclude walk-outs (more like Napier).

It’s going to be someone above any officer at Garden Island tha5 makes this decision.

The Navy is in the middle of a $213 million refit of Garden Island. Which kind of indicates that they're settled in.

Someone mentioned the old HMAS Platypus site at Neutral Bay. Unfortunately it looks like that's been taken over by the Sydney Harbour Federation Trust. So I assume that's not available now either.

That only leaves one solution, raise the bridge!

The Navy is in the middle of a $213 million refit of Garden Island. Which kind of indicates that they're settled in.

Someone mentioned the old HMAS Platypus site at Neutral Bay. Unfortunately it looks like that's been taken over by the Sydney Harbour Federation Trust. So I assume that's not available now either.

That only leaves one solution, raise the bridge!

But it’s not really a question of settled in so much as “Can they share?”

But it’s not really a question of settled in so much as “Can they share?”

Considering I can't get my kids onto a military base any more, I am thinking it might be more of a case of can cruiselines share? Would they be prepared to meet the required security to operate out of a military base?

Considering I can't get my kids onto a military base any more, I am thinking it might be more of a case of can cruiselines share? Would they be prepared to meet the required security to operate out of a military base?

Sure, they’ll need the security issues covered, but I don’t see how it is really that much different to how The RAAF share with commercial flights at Williamtown, total separation as far as punters are concerned, but share the runway and many other resources.

Collins would be a reservist officer, weekend warrior - cut lunch commando.:')

I was one, but the Army type 67-73. I got the Australian Defence Gong. Also known as the EBM, Every Buggers Medal.:rolleyes:

I recently visited Key West on a cruise. We docked inside a naval base. No walking off the ship into town, we were all required to be shuttled into town. If the land of Trump can do it, I am sure Aussie ingenuity can find a way. :)

"A Defence Spokesman last night appeared to rule out any prospects of more than the current arrangement for three cruise ships a season."

today's Daily Telegraph

When I was at Circular Quay today, there were a lot of foreign tourists around, but no cruise ship at Circular Quay. There was one ship at White City.

When I was at Circular Quay today, there were a lot of foreign tourists around, but no cruise ship at Circular Quay. There was one ship at White City.

So much for 'full up' eh?

Unfortunately the cruise line's desire is the same as the defence department - they both want that facility to improve their own flexibility rather than having to work within what's left over/available.

Given the navy have ownership/title though, and their needs are more important, and the cruiselines don't have to go there, it's really up to the cruise lines to find a workable solution.

We boarded QM2 at Garden Island and even had an overnight there. There is plenty of room , as the wharf runs alongside one of the streets at Wooloomooloo. We could come and go as we pleased as the security marquee was set up so that we never entered the Naval Base itself , but came out on the City side of the entrance gates. They could easily have 2 cruise ships berthed there . Embarkation procedures could be done elsewhere , eg a Hotel ballroom , and passengers bussed to the ship , as is done in many ports overseas.

We boarded QM2 at Garden Island and even had an overnight there. There is plenty of room , as the wharf runs alongside one of the streets at Wooloomooloo. We could come and go as we pleased as the security marquee was set up so that we never entered the Naval Base itself , but came out on the City side of the entrance gates. They could easily have 2 cruise ships berthed there . Embarkation procedures could be done elsewhere , eg a Hotel ballroom , and passengers bussed to the ship , as is done in many ports overseas.

I’m pretty sure there is room there to put a terminal for check in if they decide to go down that path, just near those gates you mention. But I haven’t been there for a while.

So much for 'full up' eh?

Unfortunately the cruise line's desire is the same as the defence department - they both want that facility to improve their own flexibility rather than having to work within what's left over/available.

Given the navy have ownership/title though, and their needs are more important, and the cruiselines don't have to go there, it's really up to the cruise lines to find a workable solution.

I don't think it's quite that simple.

Firstly, why does the navy need to be based in the heart of Sydney harbour? Apart from existing infrastructure, that is. Surely it could be based elsewhere, like Newcastle?

Secondly Sydney has many reasons why it is a premier Australian port:

- The city and harbour are prime attractions to tourists visiting Australia.

- It has good transport options - international and domestic airports, local and country train services, ferries - so both international and domestic passengers can get to/from their embarkation/disembarkation port easily and without too much extra cost.

- Sydney is also the largest city in Australia (although Melbourne is not far behind) so there is a large local potential passenger base.

- Sydney is a port where cruises can operate all year round without passengers enduring too many heavy sea days when departing from or returning to port.

- Sydney is big enough to handle a massive influx of cruise ship passengers, either as a day stop or as a turnaround port.

But, of course, Sydney has some issues as a cruise ship port. Many cruise ships are now too big to fit under the harbour bridge. The OPT can only take one large ship at a time. Most of the land around the harbour east of the bridge is unsuitable for the development of a large cruise ship terminal, except for Garden Island.

Raising the harbour bridge isn't a viable alternative so some deal is going to have to be worked out with the navy so that Garden Island can be developed as a cruise terminal that will meet the needs now and in the future (which probably means capacity of 3 cruise ships at least).

From the start of this week (8th) until the end of the month (24days) there are cruiseships booked at OPT for 17 of the days, and we are not yet to peak season. We then see 26 bookings for November in the 30 days.

New arrangements are needed to cater for this growing demand.

In 2017 and beyond, there is no reason for the navy to be located at Garden Island. What was applicable 200 years ago no longer is today. Any threat to Australia is going to be from the north. Move the ships and affiliated Naval infrastructure to Darwin, Townsville, Broome etc, the Naval deskjockeys to Canberra and admin to regional locations, and give back the people of NSW Garden Is, including a cruise terminal.