Question About $200 Administrative Cancellation Fee

Keith1010

This item came up in a discussion on the Crystal Cruises Board about some cruise lines that charge a cancellation fee.

I had a question and hoping that someone would know.

If one cancels a Silversea Cruise and books another one right away will they still charge the fee?

If one cancels a SIlversea Cruise do they have a period of time to book a new one and avoid the fee? Someone speculated one year.

Thank you in advance for your feedback on this. Please note I am not asking for comments about whether or not people think the fee is a good idea, but rather if the fee is avoidable in the examples that I mentioned.

Thank you so much.

Keith

Keith I was told when I booked direct with Silversea that the $200 per booking fee would be rolled over if I booked another cruise within 12 months.

On checking the Silversea Terms and Conditions this is what it says.........

https://www.silversea.com/terms-and-conditions.html

CRUISE CANCELLATIONS

If you find it necessary to cancel your reservation or anycomponent thereof, you or your travel professional are requiredto contact the Silversea Reservations Department by telephoneas well as submit your cancellation in writing. If your cancellationrequest is received more than 120 days prior to your initialsailing date, a USD$200 non-refundable administrative fee willbe charged per booking. This administrative fee may beconverted to a future cruise credit valid for travel within 12 monthsfrom the date of the cancelled voyage.

Julie

Keith, the general booking conditions are helpful. They appear to answer your first question but probably not your second.

Quoting them:

"If you find it necessary to cancel your reservation or any component thereof, you or your travel professional are required to contact the Silversea Reservations Department by telephone as well as submit your cancellation in writing. If your cancellation request is received more than 120 days prior to your initial sailing date, a USD$200 nonrefundable administrative fee will be charged per booking. This administrative fee may be converted to a future cruise credit valid for travel within 12 months from the date of the cancelled voyage."

The last sentence makes clear that you can re-book and get the fee as a future cruise credit but it certainly does not make clear when the booking needs to be made. It gives a time frame for when the travel needs to be undertaken.I hope someone can speak of their experience.

Thank you all so much for your input on this. I had never looked at the T&C's and remember on my actual confirmation it just noted the cancellation fee but good to know that the T&C's provide more details on that.

Thank you all.

Keith

Keith, we decided last month to cancel our b2b Cloud Expedition voyages (USH to USH, then USH to Capetown for February) and incurred (per T&C) $200 admin fee per cruise.

We booked the fall 2018 Silver Spirit crossing about two weeks later and our TA working with Silversea had both $200 fees applied/deducted in our new fall crossing cruise fares.

Hope this helps.

Our friends who just dropped out of our cruise next month brought up the $200 fee just yesterday when we were talking to them. They knew it had been charged as they got a statement from Silversea that had to be turned over to the travel insurance company. It did come up that the fee would be “refunded” as a credit if they booked and took a cruise within 12 months from the date of the cancelled cruise. Until we talked I don’t think it was clear to them that it was more than just booking and that they had to travel within that year. Of course they have no idea where they’ll be with their daughter’s situation so no interest in even thinking about a cruise.

The one aspect of our friends’ cancellation that is still not resolved is the refund or non-refund of a mid-cruise land tour in Egypt. Silversea’s website seems to say that such tours are 100% non-refundable but apparently there’s an ongoing discussion between the TA, travel insurance company, and Silversea about at least a partial refund. Really not an issue for our friends but it is for the insurance company as it could reduce the amount they have to pay out to our friends.

This situation just points out again the importance of having a good travel agent who will be aware of the rules and that the $200 cancellation fee can be applied to another cruise. I bet a lot of people have lost that money due to just not being aware.