Do you know the status of blockage on the Danube?

steverhodes

The Danube River has been blocked for several days because a cargo ship ran aground. It was supposed to be cleared yesterday, but I can’t find out what the status is.

If you know what the status is I would like to know. And if your ship is being swapped or you have any other information I would like to know that too. We leave July 7 from Nurenberg on the Viking Egil. But with the current situation, it might be a different ship I suppose.

The Danube River has been blocked for several days because a cargo ship ran aground. It was supposed to be cleared yesterday, but I can’t find out what the status is.

If you know what the status is I would like to know. And if your ship is being swapped or you have any other information I would like to know that too. We leave July 7 from Nurenberg on the Viking Egil. But with the current situation, it might be a different ship I suppose.

This should help answer your questions.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56407555&postcount=47

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it likely that you will be on a different (but identical) ship. Other than that, unless the water level drops further you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The blockage was cleared on 28th June and the Danube reopened.

As of yesterday the second ship was still stuck and was to be removed while traffic is running again. It means all ships up to 11.5m width are allowed to sail, those wider are not. So, almost all river cruise ships and most barges are fine: https://www.br.de/nachrichten/niederbayern/inhalt/donau-ist-eine-woche-nach-havarie-wieder-frei-100.html

notamermaid

Just got back from the Viking River Cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg (6/29/18). The river was block in the middle of our cruise on the Viking Tor just on the other side of Passau. Fortunately, the Viking Var was on the other side of the blockage and Viking opted to swap passengers to the ships. While not an idea situation, Viking did an excellent job is making this happen in a very short period of time. We lost a little time in Passau, but they made up for this with a meal at a local establishment. We were bused to the ship and around the blockage. I understand that other cruise lines did not have this option and ended up putting passengers in buses and to hotels. Nothing but good things to say about Viking. If you read the contract for the passage, they are very clear about possible changes to the cruise for a variety of issues. As the Danube and Main channel are dependent on river levels and locks, this is occurrence is always a possible situation.

Just got back from the Viking River Cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg (6/29/18). The river was block in the middle of our cruise on the Viking Tor just on the other side of Passau. Fortunately, the Viking Var was on the other side of the blockage and Viking opted to swap passengers to the ships. While not an idea situation, Viking did an excellent job is making this happen in a very short period of time. We lost a little time in Passau, but they made up for this with a meal at a local establishment. We were bused to the ship and around the blockage. I understand that other cruise lines did not have this option and ended up putting passengers in buses and to hotels. Nothing but good things to say about Viking. If you read the contract for the passage, they are very clear about possible changes to the cruise for a variety of issues. As the Danube and Main channel are dependent on river levels and locks, this is occurrence is always a possible situation.

Snowynights: My wife and I were on the Var going the other direction and swapped over to the Tor!

I agree, Viking did a stupendous job of switching us over, very little time lost and the worst part of it was leaving behind the crew we had gotten to know, but the crew on the Tor was just as amazing!

But the question is: Is the River open now ( July 6)?

No. Our cruise was scheduled to sail from Nuremberg today. Instead we boarded a sister ship in Passau and will start there. We’re told that everything should go as planned from here downstream.

According to the ELWIS website (official website for navigation information on the rivers in Germany) the Danube river is still closed since June 22nd. Ships can go into the port of Straubing but farther on it´s closed for all traffic.

steamboats

We’re told that one Avalon ship was able to transit from Nuremberg to Passau today after yesterday’s rain raised the level slightly. It appears that most ships are not chancing it in case they get stuck on the wrong side of the shallow stretch.

• 2 weeks later...
We’re told that one Avalon ship was able to transit from Nuremberg to Passau today after yesterday’s rain raised the level slightly. It appears that most ships are not chancing it in case they get stuck on the wrong side of the shallow stretch.

We were on an Avalon east bound about a week ago. We got through when no other ships were moving. Around Passau, there were many ships stacked up, unable to move west bound. Viking ships had been stranded for several days with no ship available for a swap, so the cruise had turned into a bus trip. The Viking passengers we met in Regensburg (bused there) were very unhappy with the way Viking had handled it.

We sailed into Passau from the west and people were shocked that we got through.

Avalon has very new ships with a very shallow draft. Same thing last year. Ships parked everywhere, we slipped on through (westbound) with no problems. Some Viking people we talked to last year were on their THIRD ship.

Having said that, I understand an eastbound Avalon ship, one day behind us, could not make the run between Regensburg and Passau, so had to be bused between ships. If Avalon ain't getting through, I doubt any ship is getting through.