Does anyone remember the Norway?

newjerseygeorge

I had my first cruise on the Norway and was hooked immediately. I have had five more cruises since. My friend, Elaine, and I met a guy named George from New Jersey. I think his buddy's name was Joe, but not sure. Was that you??? We sailed on the Norway 10/29 - 11/5/1983.

It's a shame that the Norway is no longer a sailing option. How sad to hear what happened to her.

Elaine gave me the name Norwaylin after the cruise. Norway + Linda

This was the first of many NCL ships we were on. Do not get me wrong, we like all the bells and whistles on these new ships but the old Dame was special. Rooms seemed bigger, much more relaxed atmosphere. Miss having high tea and hand sandwiches. This was class.

Hello Jersey George,

We also had our first cruise on the Norway in April 2001. She was the most beautiful thing in the world. Even with her old fashion style and odd layout. We were on the Top deck penthouse of sorts next to the owners suites. No balconies then, just floor to ceiling windows, lovely sitting area. Fridge, super large closet and dressing area and full bathroom with a tub..... What a way to start my sailing experiences. The dining experience was elegant each night and I can still remember the waiters carrying the lighted baked Alaska down the cascading staircase. The high tea was one of my highlights of the cruise and the spa deep down in the decks with the mini pool....Ooooh it was lovely. The next cruise was on the Magesty out of Boston to Bermuda in 03 and thought I would never get onboard again after that one....Nothing to compare to the Norway.. I got the nerve again in May of 06 and haven't stopped since. I have to thank my husband for encouraging me to go again. We love the Spirit and the Gem. We also have taken two RCCL and enjoyed, but love the Freestyle and find NCL to be our first choice. We love sailing out of NYC and are on the Gem March 13th and the Spirit Aug. 27th. I hope you have had the same experiences in your cruises since the NORWAY, but weren't we all lucky to have sailed the Beautiful Grande Dame of the sea....:)

Ann and Bernie

Our family had the opportunity to sail the Norway several times. My children grew up on that ship and have some wonderful memories.

It was a very different cruise experience and like most I find it hard to put into words.

We sailed her one last time the week of Easter Sunday in April 2003, just a few short weeks before her demise.

I managed to buy one of the Norway stair tower direction signs from the scrappers in India and had it shipped to our home.

This sign shares a place of honor in our house and is a daily reminder of good times for us all.

See the picture below.

Norway.jpg.b8646e116bf6c8cbb5549b78b4d9be54.jpg

My first and so far, but not for long, only cruise was the last one for the Norway. My wife and I were on board that fateful morning. Very traumatic experience for a first-time cruiser. We have been very reluctant to go on another cruise but we're finally taking the leap in a few days.

We loved the elegant dining experience every night. My only regret is not getting the recipe for the apple soup that we had one night, so amazing!!!

The Norway is the best. I took some pictures of her leaving New york for the last time in 2001 just before 9 11. I have built many models of her in the last 12 years.Here is a a shot of the Norway pulling out of pier 88 in 2001. i included a model I built a few years ago.

066_07A.jpg.476b5131256becf0bd5b41563c5a1f5d.jpg

020_006.jpg.ae116757149c27ef340ac334ee27abc2.jpg

We took a family cruise and booked all the "balcony" cabins on the stern (actually just a little ledge, but the doors opened). The basketball courts were below us and a little closer to the stern. The hoop was mounted on the outside of our balcony rail. The balls kept coming up on the balcony all day. People kept yelling at us to come out and throw their balls back. Directly underneath us was the fitness center. The loudspeaker was mounted on the ceiling of that room. They started the music at 7am and cranked it up! Our bed actually vibrated. No sleeping in for us. I remember the suites with the Norwegian names on them. The kids would go down the hall trying to say them and joking like "this is the kee-forg-in-schmorgin-hagen-das suite". Funny to us at the time. Sounds like I didn't enjoy it, but the ship was great. We loved every minute of it.

Sorry she is gone.

We also took a family cruise on the Norway in 2003. My kids had a wonderful time playing in her pools and eating all the wonderful food. Seven years later they still talk about the times while on board the ship. The time spent just walking on her historical decks, the elegance of her lines, the magesty of her size. Since then we have completed one more family cruise on the NCL Spirit in 2008. My kids and I have to say the Norway out classed the Spirit. She is truly missed indeed. So, yes my family and I remember the Norway.

There have been several threads about the Norway and how much we miss her.

The Norway was our first cruise. We will always have special memories of that cruise.

But, that was a different time and the cruise business has changed.

I had my first cruise on the Norway and was hooked immediately. I have had five more cruises since. My friend, Elaine, and I met a guy named George from New Jersey. I think his buddy's name was Joe, but not sure. Was that you??? We sailed on the Norway 10/29 - 11/5/1983.

Sorry Norwaylin, must be two Georges in New Jersey :) My first cruise was 1992. My daughter who was 7 and had been on 3 or 4 cruises, said she "was bored of cruising" Most adults never cruise that many times. Now she is 15, loves cruising and she likes the bells and whistles.

Give me the Norway any time over the new ships. Class, comfort and relaxation all mean Norway to me. Our family misses her.

Our first cruise was also on the Norway. It was a Rock and Roll themed cruised and we had an absolutely wonderful time. I loved every minute of it. She started my cruise addiction and there is no stopping in sight!

Vette

NCL kept this in the fleet for a long time. It used to be in the port of Miami alot. But in 2003, an engine or something blew up and killed 8 crew members while in port. I dont think any passengers were on board at the time. NCL took it away and said they were making repairs but silently removed it from its fleet. NCL paid the victim's families over $20 million I think. You can google the article. I live in Miami and remember when it happened. It looked funny in the port next to these modern ships but so many people loved it that it continued to sail.

Have sailed on the Norway twice. Thoroughly enjoyed it both times. The service was some of the best we have had even though it was not originally a cruise ship.

Have now done over 60 cruises including five on the Independence in 2009, one of which we one.

We live in England so have to fly to America if we want to cruise round the Caribbean.

:D:D

The Norway is the best. I took some pictures of her leaving New york for the last time in 2001 just before 9 11. I have built many models of her in the last 12 years.Here is a a shot of the Norway pulling out of pier 88 in 2001. i included a model I built a few years ago.

I built her as a model back in the 60's when she was the SS France. It was the pride and joy of my top shelf in my bedroom for years.

Imagine my surprise when I saw her big and blue in Miami after her rebirth.

Don't know what happened to the model.

My first cruise was on the Norway as well. It was the week of July 21-27, 1986. The last night on board was my birthday. I went with a group and was paired in a cabin with a lady I had just met. Our room was a phone booth with bunk beds. We literally could touch the beds, closet and bathroom with our arms outstretched. But it was heaven and will always hold precious memories for me.

NCL kept this in the fleet for a long time. It used to be in the port of Miami alot. But in 2003, an engine or something blew up and killed 8 crew members while in port. I dont think any passengers were on board at the time. NCL took it away and said they were making repairs but silently removed it from its fleet. NCL paid the victim's families over $20 million I think. You can google the article. I live in Miami and remember when it happened. It looked funny in the port next to these modern ships but so many people loved it that it continued to sail.

On May 25, 2003, having docked at 5.00 am in Miami, the Norway was severely damaged by a boiler explosion at 6.30 am. Seven lives were lost as well as seventeen injured. None of the passengers were affected. On June 27, 2003, NCL/Star decided to relocate SS Norway. She departed Miami under tow, although at first NCL/Star refused to announce her destination. However, she headed for Europe and eventually arrived in Bremerhaven on September 23, 2003. Soon NCL/Star announced that boiler parts were available to repair her, and to build a new boiler was out of question.

Star Cruises sold her to a Bangladeshi (Liberian registered) breaker who renamed her Blue Lady after which she headed off to be broken up but was soon stopped due to a massive outcry by her loyal followers as well as Greenpeace, who protested regarding the huge amount of asbestos onboard. Apparently, Greenpeace claimed that she sailed to Malaysia illegally due to some asbestor law, and that all asbestos should have been removed prior her departure for Asia. SS Blue Lady was forced to return to Port Klang and was anchored just outside the port, where she remains today (May 7, 2006).

610x.jpg

Reuters Pictures 28 months ago

Workers dismantle "Blue Lady" ship at the Alang shipyard, about 260 km (162 miles) west from the western Indian city of Ahmedabad October 1, 2007. Environmentalists, including Greenpeace, say the 46,000-tonne Blue Lady contains toxic waste like asbestos, risking the health of poorly equipped workers at the Alang ship-breaking yard in the western state of Gujarat. Picture taken October 1, 2007.

Soon NCL/Star announced that boiler parts were available to repair her, and to build a new boiler was out of question.

I'm assuming that's supposed to say un available.

SS Blue Lady was forced to return to Port Klang and was anchored just outside the port, where she remains today (May 7, 2006).

She's since been completely chopped up.

Yes, it was my first cruise and it was in 1986. I absolutely loved it. But to be quite honest I am not totally enthralled as many are. However, the ship herself was most beautiful, and there certainly was an ambiance that is hard to describe. Perhaps it was the absence of bells and whistles. there are certain beautiful things I remember--a harp player during tea. And yes, the midnight buffets were outstanding.

However, I sometimes think that it is easy to have selective memory. When I think about the reality of it, several things come to mind. I remember vividly that boarding took hours. There was next to no room service. The dining was lovely, but we were seated at a table with miserable people and a very old couple. The meals were elaborate to the point where really you went from meal to meal to meal. And all of those meals were at this table with these miserable people. (Obviously that was not the norm--but just saying--that is my experience.) I mean people who love elaborate dining would truly have loved this experience, but I will take Freestyle any day. DMH, perhaps we had the same room--yes those bunk beds and honestly I think you could put your arms out and reach from wall to wall. Two of those rooms would fit in the current worst inside room (even on the Majesty). I happened to have pulled my photo album out recently--the room was very plain and frankly--ugly. There was no way to call home except this complicated and expensive ship to shore thing. The lobster at that time was the same bad lobster as it is today. I remember it vividly--being from New England I was astounded that they called it lobster. There were no coffee pots in the room, no cappuchino anywhere (for sale or otherwise), and, as is the case now, no bubbly uppon boarding. There was no breakfast buffet, and there was no hot lunch buffet. There were, and I quote my brochure from 1986 "complimentary burger and hot dogs" in the swimming pool area. Thus one was pretty much stuck eating those million course meals in the formal dining room. There was no hot tub. There was this tiny television that only showed updates about the ship. There were no movies.

Nevertheless, we had a magical and marvelous time and I am most happy I had the experience. But it fascinates me that there is such idealization of the Norway, when in fact, the cruising experience that almost everyone (not everyone--but an awful lot of people) complains about now, actually has far more amenities than the Norway (at least in 1986).

Incidentally, the cost of our bunk bed room in the bottom of the ship in 1986 as described above, was approximately the same amount as an oceanview cabin on the Jewel (our last crusie) in January 2010. That might have included our airfare, all I kept was the final bill. Still and yet. . . . Food for thought.

Archived