Quilter cruises

prarie cruiser

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

This is an old thread. Don't know if anyone looks at it any more, but I just found it. I've actually been on two quilting cruises and will be going on my third in Feb of 2005. RCI's Mariner of the Seas to the Eastern Caribbean. The group I am with is usuallly around 40 or so quilters and then assorted husbands and friends who go along for the "ride". The group is sponsored by QuiltPro which is actually a quilting software company, but we have all types of classes. Carol Doak teaches paper piecing, Sharon Hultgren does design and machine piecing and Alice Wilhoit does various hand work classes plus we've had beading classes and of coure computer classes. Obviously I've had a good time as I am going back for the third time.

Suzanne

• 1 month later...

Also, there will be about 20 quilters on the Carnival Glory, Nov. 5, 2005. It isn't a quilt cruise...just a quilting group. I think they are going to do their own classes. They all live in Florida near the port and I believe that they are bringing their machines.

I quilt, but won't be in their group....but do hope to meet them and see what they are doing.

Enjoy your quilt cruise, Suzanne, and the Mariner of the Seas....have been on her and she's a beautiful ship.

• 7 years later...

I'd love to hear anyone's feedback on any of these quilt cruises. My mom and I are planning a trip and, as it's our first trip, hard to know even where to start. Reviews of the actual cruises are hard to find.

Limace, I'm booked on the March 23 Quilting Cruise out of New Orleans! It's all paid for, and we're just waiting for any pre-cruise instructions. So far, nothing has been sent out.

This will be my first quilting cruise, and my cabinmate's also, so I'm afraid I can't tell you much until after the cruise.

Oh, I can't wait to hear your report, Labeelady. Please come back and update once you sail. I'm interested in the quality of the classes, but I also don't want to feel that I have to be quilting all the time, especially since this is our first cruise. I just looked and it looks like you're on the Craftsy cruise. I don't see pictures of the projects you'll be doing on the website; did you get that info? That's one of the struggles we're having, some of the cruises talk about instructors but give no info about the actual projects. We're both picky, and especially my mom, who's done a ton of classes and doesn't want to pay a fortune to retake something basic.

Edited by limace

• 2 weeks later...

Limace, I will certainly come back here after the cruise and left you know how it went. I'm more or less a newbie to quilting, so any classes at all will be the first ones for me! So far I've only had one actual class, and that one was using the twister tool.

• 2 weeks later...
I just looked and it looks like you're on the Craftsy cruise. I don't see pictures of the projects you'll be doing on the website; did you get that info?

No, I haven't gotten any info on the projects yet. All I know about are the instructors, like you said. Hopefully it will be some easy sewing and not too complicated. I just sent off my info sheet last week (per their request), so I suppose they're getting ready to send out pre-cruise instructions.

No, I haven't gotten any info on the projects yet. All I know about are the instructors, like you said. Hopefully it will be some easy sewing and not too complicated. I just sent off my info sheet last week (per their request), so I suppose they're getting ready to send out pre-cruise instructions.

Oh man, that would make me crazy! I definitely am picking our cruise largely based on what the projects are (combined with the itinerary, of course); not knowing this close to sailing would annoy me :)

• 1 month later...

Limace, I have since found out about the classes being offered. I am considering only two of these, as the others involve art and drawing, and I'm not good at either.

The other two concern hand-applique and improvisational piecing. I'm not that into applique, but I do need to learn about doing it.

We do have the option of taking all 4 classes, but I'm only going to sign up for the 2 I'm interested in. There's so much to see and do on board the ship, I don't want to spend all my time at a sewing machine!

Labeelady, I definitely recommend hand applique! I love it, and I especially love being able to carry around small projects that I can work on wherever I am-in front of a TV, in a boring meeting, etc :)

Dlutrell, definitely one of the companies I've been looking at :)

• 3 months later...

Labeelady, now that you're back it's probably sad to haunt the cruise critic board :(. But if you do swing by, can you give a quick review of your cruise? We are still in the decision making stage and looking for any information possible.

I just saw Stitchin' Heaven's travel page with all the great quilt cruises. I'm seriously thinking of going on one of these cruises if I can get my sister, who also quilts, to go along with me. Especially since several of them leave from Galveston, which is close to me.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I just saw Stitchin' Heaven's travel page with all the great quilt cruises. I'm seriously thinking of going on one of these cruises if I can get my sister, who also quilts, to go along with me. Especially since several of them leave from Galveston, which is close to me.

I looked at these too, but signed up for one with World of Quilts Travel, they are going through the Panama Canal and have over 20 workshops. This trip is sponsored by the Road to California Quilt show, so I know it will be great. I've been on a few of their cruises before and everything has been A++.

• 4 years later...
Woohoo! We are booked...Jan 27, 11 days on the Noordam. So excited :)

Hi, I've been on a quilting cruise through stitchin heaven. I must say I was totally impressed. You walk into the conference center and every machine is set up, threaded, ready to go. The teachers were amazing, and I can't say enough about the professionalism. They did everything! They are expensive- all of the quilt trips are, seems even with all the companies that do it, but I can't say enough about it. I'm doing a 16 day panama canal cruise with stitchin heaven in November 2018.

I was on the World of Quilts Travel Panama Canal Cruise in January this year. The Panama Canal is fabulous and the cruise, tt was incredible! Everything first class, well organized and smoothly run. The sewing machines are set up and ready to go from the minute you board...there is technical help all the time and the machines were high-quality Janomes, they even offered you a great price if you wanted to buy one. I compared the different quilt cruise providers before traveling with Deb Roberts and World of Quilts Travel several years ago. I tried a couple other quilt cruise providers and have come back to World of Quilts as my only quilt cruise company, they also do land tours which look amazing as well (my husband likes to cruise). I highly recommend quilt cruises, at least try it once. There is plenty of time for sightseeing and other activities onboard. I will be joining the World of Quilts Travel Hawaii cruise in February, 2019 and also hope I can swing it to go on their Mediterranean one later in the year, it is another fundraiser (she does lots of charity cruises...which I think is an added bonus) for the quilt museum in Lincoln, Nebraska.

• Thanks 1