Solo and beaches

dcwalker

I bought a waterproof case for my phone and ID that hangs around my neck. I also have a slightly larger pack (from AquaVault) that locks around the arm of a beach chair (and can't be cut) to hold other stuff while I'm in the water. Handy at the pool on the cruise ship as well.

I bought a waterproof case for my phone and ID that hangs around my neck. I also have a slightly larger pack (from AquaVault) that locks around the arm of a beach chair (and can't be cut) to hold other stuff while I'm in the water. Handy at the pool on the cruise ship as well.

Thanks. If it hangs around your neck, do you worry about it getting away from you while swimming or snorkeling?

I bought a waterproof fanny pack from REI many years ago and use that for swimming or snorkeling for my camera, keys, and money when traveling. It has taken me around the world. The only thing I leave on shore is my towel.

Well, looks like the consensus is keep your stuff with you. OK. I bought a little waterproof case at Dicks Sporting Goods today. It's only big enough for my sail and sign card and some cash. I should be able to attach it to the shoulder strap of my swimsuit. My phone I can leave onboard for one day. Thanks, everyone.

This kinda case can hold anything from a phone to cash and cards and just straps round your arm out of the way

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-Waterproof-Armband-Case-Swimming-Sport-Arm-Band-Cover-For-Iphone-6-Plus-5s-Underwater-Capa/32450832883.html

There are also similar ones with both the wrist or arm band as well as a neck strap so you can use them multiple ways. I have used several brands for doing underwater photography with my iphone.

I have always been able to find someone I recognize from the ship sitting on the beach. I look for a couple with two sets of gear. I talk to them, asking how they like the cruise. I ask if the both go out at the same time to snorkel, and usually they say they take turns because of their personal belongings. I offer to watch their stuff while they go together, if the will watch my stuff while I go. I have always been able to goo out and enjoy myself without worrying.

• Like 2

This kinda case can hold anything from a phone to cash and cards and just straps round your arm out of the way

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-Waterproof-Armband-Case-Swimming-Sport-Arm-Band-Cover-For-Iphone-6-Plus-5s-Underwater-Capa/32450832883.html

There are also similar ones with both the wrist or arm band as well as a neck strap so you can use them multiple ways. I have used several brands for doing underwater photography with my iphone.

This is exactly what I had in mind, something I could secure on my arm. But the ones I found were so much more expensive. Thanks.

I offer to watch their stuff while they go together, if the will watch my stuff while I go. I have always been able to goo out and enjoy myself without worrying.

I had been wondering about this approach. Thanks for the insight, poolreader.

• 1 month later...

Just want to report back. Went to Coki Beach in St. Thomas. Walked up to the cab area and said I wanted a cab to Coki, was told oh, this family does too, just wait with them, got in the cab with them and a bunch of other people (I guess it was more of a bus) , and at Coki kind of attached myself to this family - shared an umbrella and a couple of lounges - and had my money and ship card attached to me in a waterproof case and enjoyed a couple of hours of snorkelling. Worked out great.

• Like 1

Just want to report back. Went to Coki Beach in St. Thomas. Walked up to the cab area and said I wanted a cab to Coki, was told oh, this family does too, just wait with them, got in the cab with them and a bunch of other people (I guess it was more of a bus) , and at Coki kind of attached myself to this family - shared an umbrella and a couple of lounges - and had my money and ship card attached to me in a waterproof case and enjoyed a couple of hours of snorkelling. Worked out great.

What type of waterproof case did you buy?

I bought it at Dicks Sporting Goods, in the store, not online, for about $5. It's a small hard plastic box with a hinge opening that seals shut. It has a caribiner clip that I attached to the strap of my swimsuit and a cord that I looped around my neck. It's small so only held my ship card and cash. I left my phone on board. It would have been nice to have, to take pictures of the huge, and hugely bold, iguanas that were roaming the beach and scaring people. The next time I'll get the case that straps to your arm and holds your phone.

I have always been able to find someone I recognize from the ship sitting on the beach. I look for a couple with two sets of gear. I talk to them, asking how they like the cruise. I ask if the both go out at the same time to snorkel, and usually they say they take turns because of their personal belongings. I offer to watch their stuff while they go together, if the will watch my stuff while I go. I have always been able to goo out and enjoy myself without worrying.

I've done this as well or have asked staff to watch my belongings. Fortuantely for me, I've never had any issues with this approach so far.

• 1 month later...

REI makes several waterproof bags in various sizes.. I attach my bag to a childs inflatable ring with a benji cord, then attach the ring to my ankle with a smaller gauge cotton cord.  Adjust the cord length for the depth you want to dive so you dont pull the bag and ring under.

Edited by Michael Kays

On 8/16/2018 at 9:00 PM, dcwalker said:

I'm going on my first solo cruise in three weeks. Solos, what do you do with your cash (for getting back to the ship) and your phone while you snorkel?

If you are on a boat, with other cruisers just put your stuff in a water proof sack. If you are snorkeling off the beach you can usually find someone from your ship that will watch your stuff. Cash you can keep in a pocket with you.

• 1 month later...

Another recommendation is to book a beach excursion to a private club, where there are usually lockers or at least a secure storage area available.  My swimming excursions always had those, and I was able to swim without worrying for my belongings.  I locked away my wallet, camera, and passport copy, and just took my ship card in my shorts pocket.  My clothes weren't designer, my backpack looked beat-up, and I doubt anyone would swipe my ship's towel.  

While I could ask someone to keep an eye on my stuff, it somehow didn't feel right to me to put that obligation on someone who met me less than an hour ago.