Dog on ship, continued

Thank you for the links. I first learnt about the cats at amusement parks when we were at Europa park in Germany. There was a big fat tabby cat sleeping in the sun next to a kids ride.

Just read Princess Cruise Line Answer booklet regarding service dogs

Please contact us or ask your travel agent to notify us before your voyage of your wheelchair usage, mobility or special needs and/or requests to sail with a service animal such as seeing-eye dogs and hearing-assistance dogs. Emotional support animals are not recognized by the Department of Justice and therefore are not permitted on Princess ships or our lodges.

Please contact us or ask your travel agent to notify us before your voyage of your wheelchair usage, mobility or special needs and/or requests to sail with a service animal such as seeing-eye dogs and hearing-assistance dogs. Emotional support animals are not recognized by the Department of Justice and therefore are not permitted on Princess ships or our lodges.

Maybe RCI will get the message.

Thanks for posting this Princess Cruise Line policy. Sure hope RCCL will implement a similar policy.

Well, considering what going postal means, having an emotional support animal inside the post office might make it easier to bear the uncomfortable feeling one gets at the post office.

Even the US Post Office may have restrictions on emotional support animals.

d66833c48bc150970502047728b5098a.gif

Um, I don't know about support dogs but Seeing Eye are trained to hold it. If support dogs are too then that dog had to go really badly and his owner had been ignoring him. Bad owner!

And where in the world is a support dog gonna poop on a ship? It's not like there's a doggie potty station on each floor. I think this is one of those times where if you can't take care of your dog properly you just don't bring them. If you have to have them by your side, then you don't go - because you can't give them the proper care they need. (It's a 2 way street, they care for you and you care for them.)

A service dog is trained to perform a task to assist a person with a disability. Doesn't matter who trains it, however. It's perfectly acceptable under the law to train your own service dog. An emotional support dog is basically an untrained pet. It doesn't perform any task, and the owner requires only its presence. There are dogs that are trained to be company for persons with certain anxiety and other disorders; they are trained to behave in public places, but if the dog does not actually perform a TASK to help its handler, it is not a service dog. Keeping a person company is not a task, providing love is not a task, and cuddling is not a task. (Although some dogs may be trained to sense a panic attack and react appropriately to its handler, that sort of thing would count as a task.)

ADA doesn't cover the ES dogs but the Air Carriers Access Act does. It allows an airline passenger to bring aboard a comfort pet of their choice for emotional support, but may require documentation (service dogs don't require documentation). It's easy to get documentation, there are websites that will send you a letter signed by a medical professional declaring that you need your pet with you to fly for a hundred bucks or so.

There weren't any species or size regulations either, assuming the animal could actually fit onto an airplane. People brought aboard not just dogs (large and small - there are photos on the internet of the ESA Great Dane that needed its own seat), but cats, pigs, turkeys, fish in bowls, ducks, tortoises, rabbits, monkeys, etc. and then someone tried to bring a peacock onto an airplane. (I do believe that snakes and some rodents, such as rats, are excepted though). Also recent examples of one person bringing multiple animals aboard a plane for emotional well-being. Some of the airlines are cracking down on that.

Airlines are trying to change things up now as far as untrained pets after some high profile instances of other passengers and airline crew members being bitten by somebody's untrained support animal.

Of course it's also way easy to pass off your untrained pet as a service animal, all you have to do if asked is say it performs a task to assist you.

ADA does not provide for a cat to be a service animal. The service animal designation can apply only to dogs and, in some cases, miniature horses. If a cat has been allowed onboard a cruise ship, that is only possible as an emotional support animal (at least working from ADA). It appears RCL does permit emotional support animals onboard if someone was actually permitted to sail with a cat in a stroller, but I know I don't have any knowledge of their criteria for doing so. They're not obligated to allow it by law.

They probably just allowed it to keep kitty's owner from making a fuss.

Edited by makiramarlena

Um, I don't know about support dogs but Seeing Eye are trained to hold it. If support dogs are too then that dog had to go really badly and his owner had been ignoring him. Bad owner!

And where in the world is a support dog gonna poop on a ship? It's not like there's a doggie potty station on each floor. I think this is one of those times where if you can't take care of your dog properly you just don't bring them. If you have to have them by your side, then you don't go - because you can't give them the proper care they need. (It's a 2 way street, they care for you and you care for them.)

They do have them. Just not on every floor.

ADA doesn't cover the ES dogs but the Air Carriers Access Act does. It allows an airline passenger to bring aboard a comfort pet of their choice for emotional support, but may require documentation (service dogs don't require documentation). It's easy to get documentation, there are websites that will send you a letter signed by a medical professional declaring that you need your pet with you to fly for a hundred bucks or so.

There weren't any species or size regulations either, assuming the animal could actually fit onto an airplane. People brought aboard not just dogs (large and small - there are photos on the internet of the ESA Great Dane that needed its own seat), but cats, pigs, turkeys, fish in bowls, ducks, tortoises, rabbits, monkeys, etc. and then someone tried to bring a peacock onto an airplane. (I do believe that snakes and some rodents, such as rats, are excepted though). Also recent examples of one person bringing multiple animals aboard a plane for emotional well-being. Some of the airlines are cracking down on that.

Didn't someone try to bring a velociraptor on board an airplane as an emotional service animal?

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with you regarding the aggressive confrontation. It can be a dangerous path.

However, a dogs butt in the grocery cart, lower level or upper, just seems all wrong to me. In my mind it is no different than a diapered baby or child sitting on the food service counter, at a place such as McDonalds. Worse yet, changing the diaper on an eating table. It just comes down to lack of consideration. Their house, go for it. Public place, no thanks.

Not to mentioned a trained dog has no business in a shopping cart. They should be on a leash by the owner when out in public. Never yipping or barking. If a service dog is out, it would be "working"...

Emotional support animals face restrictions in Southwest airlines, Royal Caribbean cruises, reports say

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/08/15/emotional-support-animals-face-restrictions-in-southwest-airlines-royal-caribbean-cruises-reports-say.html

"We are updating the policy to differentiate emotional support animals from service animals that are trained and certified to perform a function for a person with a disability," Royal Caribbean said in a statement, according to the blog.

The cruise ship company also said it's "important to us that all our guests enjoy their vacation, which is why we put into practice this new policy," adding that the policy for service animals traveling with guests who have a disability would remain the same.

Reservations of travelers with ESAs noted on bookings prior to July 30 would be allowed to sail, the report said.

Other cruise lines Norwegian and Carnival also do not allow emotional support animals onboard, but does permit trained service animals, MarketWatch reported.

As one who has a “real” service animal I too am upset with how badly

This is being taken advantage of. I not only have a trained animal, but I have back-up paperwork that declares my handicap, thus justifying the need for assistance. The described behavior suggests that this owner is not only abusing the system, but also represents an irresponsible pet owner! Airlines are requesting more paperwork to verify which I’m

Happy to offer - RCCL does too, although some Dr’s are willing to write just about anything. Of course these could be bogus too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Emotional support animals face restrictions in Southwest airlines, Royal Caribbean cruises, reports say

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/08/15/emotional-support-animals-face-restrictions-in-southwest-airlines-royal-caribbean-cruises-reports-say.html

Finally. What took RCCL so long to change their policy.

An "emotional support dog" pooped yesterday at Guest Services. Emotionally dependent owner just walked away.

Not familiar with which ship, was it on the poop deck?

(Sorry, yes I have a boy who likes such jokes so I’m obliged to make them!)