HOU or IAH

CrusinCyndi

Hey everybody:

We have not sailed before from Galveston. We will need to fly in as we are coming from Chicagoland, and just need to stay for 1 night. I have a few questions please and would greatly appreciate your help and wisdom.

1. Which Airport ? HOU or IAH ?

2. Where should we look for a hotel, staying for 1 night pre-cruise, not looking for anything fancy. Port area or airport?

3. Do hotels have a shuttle from the airport to their hotel ?

4. Do hotels offer a shuttle from their hotel to the port? I realize it's about a 1 hour trip.

Any information is appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Hey everybody:

We have not sailed before from Galveston. We will need to fly in as we are coming from Chicagoland, and just need to stay for 1 night. I have a few questions please and would greatly appreciate your help and wisdom.

2. Where should we look for a hotel, staying for 1 night pre-cruise, not looking for anything fancy. Port area or airport?

4. Do hotels offer a shuttle from their hotel to the port? I realize it's about a 1 hour trip.

Thanks in advance.

1. HOU, it's much closer to Galveston and is a much smaller airport, so easier to get around.

2. Hotels near HOU will be less expensive than the ones in Galveston. Be aware that the HOU area isn't the best, so plan on staying around the hotel or spending money on a taxi or Uber to get anywhere.

3. Most of the hotels in the HOU area have shuttles between the hotels and the airport.

4. No shuttle from the hotels to Galveston. You can take the cruiseline shuttle from the airport to Galveston on the morning of embarkation.

I would fly into whichever airport is cheapest (including taxi-shuttle to Galveston) and then find a place to stay on the island. There is not much in the way of restaurants etc around either of the airports. You may pay a little more for a hotel on the island, but there is so much more to see and do, it would be worth it to me.

JB

We sailed out of Galveston last month and like you it was our first time. We were a bit apprehensive just because of the unknown. After it was all done, we would sail again from there.

We flew to Hobby as it is a bit closer to Galveston. We had VIP Express pick us up from the airport when we landed and they took us to out hotel in Galveston. Tons of dining options and they have a trolley that runs up and down the sea wall.

Hotels in Galveston have shuttles to the pier.

VIP Expess picked us up after debarkation at 9:30 am and took as back to Hobby to fly home and our flight was at 12:30pm and we were there in plenty of time.

Mike and Julie, we are going next June. We plan to take Southeest Airlines and take a shuttle since we are a group of 12. I'm trying to figure out where to stay in Galveston. I hope to be able to walk from the hotel and find fun restaurants and maybe little shops. I see some hotels listed as Seawall; is that walking distance to restaurants/shops? Is it near the beach? Just trying to get a feel for the area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mike and Julie, we are going next June. We plan to take Southeest Airlines and take a shuttle since we are a group of 12. I'm trying to figure out where to stay in Galveston. I hope to be able to walk from the hotel and find fun restaurants and maybe little shops. I see some hotels listed as Seawall; is that walking distance to restaurants/shops? Is it near the beach? Just trying to get a feel for the area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The seawall runs right along the beach area. And there are lots of restaurants and shops in that area as well. Some good restaurants are The Spot and Gaido's. And many more to choose from.

This site has a lot of good info.

https://www.galveston.com/

Just as another option, If you do fly into HOU, just a couple exist down I-45 (as you're headed to Galveston) is NASA and League City. The area is nicer than staying near the airports and may be worth it to compare prices.

There's also at least 'some' stuff to do there.

We flew into IAH from Chicago on UAL. It's a hub & they have a lot of non-stop flights. We stayed near the airport at a hotel with a free shuttle & used Galveston Express the next day. It was an easy, less than 1 hour drive.

• 2 weeks later...
We flew into IAH from Chicago on UAL. It's a hub & they have a lot of non-stop flights. We stayed near the airport at a hotel with a free shuttle & used Galveston Express the next day. It was an easy, less than 1 hour drive.

Most of the hotels near IAH or HOU offer free shuttle service to/from the airport.

The Marriott at IAH was just renovated and is located right in the middle of the airport with underground train service to all the terminals.

Carnival offers bus service from Terminal C baggage claim area and from Terminal A baggage claim.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Kands6191

I stressed about these details since it was the first time cruising out of Galveston. There are tons of places to eat along the sea wall. Also there is a public trolley that takes you up and down the sea wall. We stayed at Hotel Galvez it is an older historic hotel with small European styled rooms. It is right on the ocean. We went to Millers Seawall Grill and it was very good. It was walking distance from our hotel. Come back and let us know what you thought of Galveston upon your return.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not sure that carnival runs a shuttle from hobby it may just be from iah.

With 3 full time ships home porting Galveston,

and bringing in the new big one , they will have a shuttles.

1. HOU, it's much closer to Galveston and is a much smaller airport, so easier to get around.

2. Hotels near HOU will be less expensive than the ones in Galveston. Be aware that the HOU area isn't the best, so plan on staying around the hotel or spending money on a taxi or Uber to get anywhere.

3. Most of the hotels in the HOU area have shuttles between the hotels and the airport.

4. No shuttle from the hotels to Galveston. You can take the cruiseline shuttle from the airport to Galveston on the morning of embarkation.

There are private transfers other than ship shuttles from airports to Galveston hotels and/or shuttles.

We flew into IAH and stayed at the Springhill suites. There were 5 of us and we could all stay in one room. Used VIP Express both ways and couldn't have been better. Super service, great guy, nice clean shuttle. Would use again in a heartbeat. Gave tour thru town on the way and stopped at Buckys to get sodas. Got to port in plenty of time. On the way back went thru NASA and got to airport early.

• 1 month later...
Hey everybody:

Thanks in advance.

HOU is closer but the airport is smaller and the options for us were limited, so we flew into IAH. Flights were much cheaper, we took a shuttle from the airport to the cruise port. Longish drive but very comfortable and the driver was a great talker.

• 2 weeks later...
Four full time ships!

Was speaking of Carnival !

There are 6 ships home porting in Galveston

3 Carnival

2 Royal Caribbean

1 Disney

The Cruise lines shuttles have excellent same day service now with airports

Others private shuttles with same day and and not cruising day with both airports:

Galveston Limo.

Galveston Express.

Uber.

Action Limo.

Galveston Cruise Transfers.

Super Shuttle.

In town Galveston service:

Cabs

Uber

Lyfts

Hotel in house transfers

Galveston Island Trolleys

Enterprise Rent A Car open 7 days a week

Edited by ssb

Was speaking of Carnival !

There are 6 ships home porting in Galveston.

Let me be picky! You said three full time ships, I corrected to four.

Galveston has come along way since the Celebration bounced us to Cozumel and Calica.

See you at sea!

Let me be picky! You said three full time ships, I corrected to four.

Galveston has come along way since the Celebration bounced us to Cozumel and Calica.

See you at sea!

You are allowed to be picky and absolutely correct ! :):)

I should have clarified I was speaking about Carnival only and was responding to Carnival comment and question !

I love that there are four full and two seasonal ships in Galveston .

I hear the stacks blow every time ships are in port !

Hopefully see you at sea sometime! :D:D

We are both fans of Galveston.

Hey everybody:

I have a follow up question please to my original post.

We have decided to stay at a hotel near the airport, Hyatt Regency Houston Intercontinental Airport, now my question is, Is this hotel near IAH or HOU? I believe it's near IAH but I am not sure.

It's a silly question, but the hubby wants to stay at this hotel. There is almost nothing available in Galveston even though our cruise is not until end of August 2019 !

Thank you for your responses from my previous original post. Next up will be to book airfare but it's still too early and that's the main reason for my question.

Looking forward to your responses.

Hey everybody:

I have a follow up question please to my original post.

We have decided to stay at a hotel near the airport, Hyatt Regency Houston Intercontinental Airport, now my question is, Is this hotel near IAH or HOU? I believe it's near IAH but I am not sure.

It's a silly question, but the hubby wants to stay at this hotel. There is almost nothing available in Galveston even though our cruise is not until end of August 2019 !

Thank you for your responses from my previous original post. Next up will be to book airfare but it's still too early and that's the main reason for my question.

Looking forward to your responses.

Hyatt is at Intercontinental (IAH).

It is too early to book in Galveston a year out.

The few that would accept will require two nights; as the date nears, one night will be available.

I’m traveling from Chicago for a cruise in January out of Galveston. I have booked thru Southwest into Hobby airport, they have really great deals and the fact that u can change for free is priceless. Hobby seems to be the same cost via southwest as Bush. Uber from the airport looks to be about $30. Leaving two days early (unpredictable chicago winter) staying at the doubletree in Galveston.

I’ll let you know how it goes!

• 4 weeks later...