"Taxes and Fees" Higher on Celebrity When Booking

Ramona760

On my last cruise I signed up for a future cruise to take advantage of the onboard credit offered. I booked a cruise and transferred it to my TA. The fees and taxes and "port expenses" totaled $585. My TA's website and all other checks on the same cruise charged $535 in taxes and fees. When I transferred, the TA said they couldn't reduce that amount because it was set by Celebrity. I got a better price and perks but don't understand why Celebrity is charging an extra $50 in their fee section. Has anyone else noticed this?

r - you have several options here (in no particular order of importance):

1) call X to inquire about difference;

2) go to X's website to compare fees and taxes to what is showing on your original invoice;

3) wait until final payment to see if there is an adjustment; and/or

4) compare what is on X's website to your TA's website.

It is possible that one website or the other is not updated?

Is it possible that in the interim from purchase that taxes and fees have been adjusted by either the ports/countries being visited or X?

I believe you have some ground work to do before coming here to complain or inqire.

Let us know the results of your homework.

bon voyage

r - you have several options here (in no particular order of importance):

1) call X to inquire about difference;

2) go to X's website to compare fees and taxes to what is showing on your original invoice;

3) wait until final payment to see if there is an adjustment; and/or

4) compare what is on X's website to your TA's website.

It is possible that one website or the other is not updated?

Is it possible that in the interim from purchase that taxes and fees have been adjusted by either the ports/countries being visited or X?

I believe you have some ground work to do before coming here to complain or inqire.

Let us know the results of your homework.

bon voyage

Agree with this.. Taxes & Fees change all the time..We've been on over 20 cruises on other carriers & have often had taxes & Fees (AKA Port charges) change up to departure time.. Sometimes they increase & sometimes they could decrease.. These fees are set by each county visited & can't be changed by Celebrity or any Travel Agent..:cool:

P.S. We've even had to pay either an extra tax or fee when arriving or departing a country because of a last minute change, but that is rarely done..

Edited by serendipity1499

Agree that taxes can change. On Equinox last month when we had our itinerary re-arranged some got a refund of around $36 others got $6. It just depended on the booking date.

So from when you booked to now its quite possible there would be a difference in taxes and fees.

When taxes and fees went down by the sailing date we've always gotten a refund in the form of a refundable OBC. We've never been charged more when they went up, even when we upgraded our stateroom.

Our experience, too. However, my understanding is that these taxes are per person, irrespective of cabin category? Or is that just the port fees?

I recently took advantage of a price drop and was told by my TA that the taxes and fees had dropped. She went on to,tell me that I would have to request a credit for the difference while on the ship since the amount could not be changed on the reservation. I need to remember to do that but hope,it will be taken care of if I forget because I am having too much fun.

Our experience, too. However, my understanding is that these taxes are per person, irrespective of cabin category? Or is that just the port fees?

It is per person, you pay the same if you are in an inside cabin as the person in the Penthouse Suite. The taxes are not sales tax.

• 2 months later...