Infinite Verandas - Who Knew?

vtcruising

Two captures of the sliding desk in various states of recession from Affluent Journeys' video. Most hard furnishings in the IV video appear very similar to the photos from the recent onboard TA preview. Interesting to see that the power box seems to have changed ever so slightly from what is seen in these videos.

#1 [from Sky Suite]

video link:

table.png

#2 [infinite Veranda, from prior video helpfully linked to by LouTheGlue]

table2.png

The bathroom looks awesome. No complaints on how it looks or is set up !

But it does seem odd that they put the power box on top of fridge.,.and show ice bucket and glasses ( wet items) there as well...We usually do a small set up of ice, glasses & snacks, but would not put anything wet by the electric connections...

Where does the chair go if desk is fully pushed in and you want to use the mirror.?

Guess we'll figure this all out when we get there. For 7 days it will work, and we expect we'll be out and about quite a bit exploring the ship..

We are very happy that we booked a Sunset Veranda cabin for our longer cruise. It is bigger, and has a very large outside balcony...trade off is losing out on BLU and thermal suites., but we'll get a chance to try the MDRs.

Did not attach...they are nice foldable beach chairs. By REEL LEGENDS, .with arms and cup holders. With a nice matching folding table...

On sale 50% off at Bealls, a Fla Dept store

Tempted..but maybe too much to pack!

Aha... a rational explanation...

hope the dresser surface is ok for liquids!

Saw something that could work for our small Veranda..will try to attach pic.. :cool:

If you’re referring to the Sky Suite photo, the white surface on which the sparkling wine is resting looks very much like Corian, or some similar material. Liquids shouldn’t be an issue. I’d bet there would be a metal tray to hold the ice bucket in the IV staterooms.

I have not been following the Edge development closely, other than making two bookings to take advantage of pricing as best I could. I just now looked at some of the pictures of the IV cabins and I am left with one immediate opinion...cramped. I'm 6'5" tall, so I'm used to having to bend and fold myself into plane and car seats, but I don't want to encounter that problem on a new cruise ship, especially when so many other options are available. I immediately thought of my SIL's opinion of her trip on the new Princess ship..."magnificent public areas but cramped staterooms." She is at this moment on her first Oceania cruise, having voted with her feet with Princess.

Coincidentally, yesterday Oceania sent us a flyer on the redo of their older ships, and I must say from the pictures I find the design extremely attractive. We've already fallen in love with Regent, and Oceania might be next up after our first cruise with them next March. I sure hope X knows what it's doing, but DW and I are ready to cut bait and move on at the drop of a Celebrity cruise.

If you’re referring to the Sky Suite photo, the white surface on which the sparkling wine is resting looks very much like Corian, or some similar material. Liquids shouldn’t be an issue. I’d bet there would be a metal tray to hold the ice bucket in the IV staterooms.

The white surface looks great for liquids but would not want them near my electronics or electric box, and would not keep them there.

I have not been following the Edge development closely, other than making two bookings to take advantage of pricing as best I could. I just now looked at some of the pictures of the IV cabins and I am left with one immediate opinion...cramped. I'm 6'5" tall, so I'm used to having to bend and fold myself into plane and car seats, but I don't want to encounter that problem on a new cruise ship, especially when so many other options are available. I immediately thought of my SIL's opinion of her trip on the new Princess ship..."magnificent public areas but cramped staterooms." She is at this moment on her first Oceania cruise, having voted with her feet with Princess.

Coincidentally, yesterday Oceania sent us a flyer on the redo of their older ships, and I must say from the pictures I find the design extremely attractive. We've already fallen in love with Regent, and Oceania might be next up after our first cruise with them next March. I sure hope X knows what it's doing, but DW and I are ready to cut bait and move on at the drop of a Celebrity cruise.

On Edge the IV stateroom is 202 ft2 and balcony adds 42ft2.

On S-Class the standard stateroom is 194ft2 and balcony is 54ft2. Same for M-Class ships too. So Edge IV cabins have a tiny bit more space but it might appear even larger with the IV open. The grass is always greener on lines that you have not yet tried but go for it! Or try a suite on Celebrity for more space as an alternative option.

On Edge the IV stateroom is 202 ft2 and balcony adds 42ft2.

On S-Class the standard stateroom is 194ft2 and balcony is 54ft2. Same for M-Class ships too. So Edge IV cabins have a tiny bit more space but it might appear even larger with the IV open. The grass is always greener on lines that you have not yet tried but go for it! Or try a suite on Celebrity for more space as an alternative option.

I think the grass is absolutely greenest on a brand new ship that no one has tried yet. We are all hoping for the best, but we are paying handsomely for the privilege of experiencing an unknown product. For example , on our first Edge Cruise an S1 cabin is now costing more than a suite on Regents newest ship for the same length cruise. For us a suite on Celebrities other ships has been very doable and enjoyable , but I doubt we will be trying one on Edge, not at current prices at least. In any case I think the king size bed is a contributor to my concern over being cramped. Even at my height, I don't require that big a bed. Next March we will be on the Oceania Riviera and in April we'll take our first cruise on Edge. We'll learn soon enough which we prefer

Ah, yes, high prices for an unknown product. It’s exciting but also fraught with risk. As you intimate, anyone who feels a certain aspect of the stateroom or ship is “make or break” for a good cruise experience should definitely avoid booking Edge until real world reviews are out.

Waiting for the reviews is a good option, but my personal is, I’ll give it a go myself. We booked very early while on a Bermuda cruise and did OK, even decided to do a B2B. My problem with reviews is so many are: ‘absolutely love it’/’absolutely hate it’ about the same thing. Will be good to read some, but having cruised many times on Celebrity, I’ll go with the bet that the Edge is going to be a fun experience, especially being a new experience with the IV SRs, the multiple MDR choices, the Magic Carpet and all the other common area options that look very intriguing.

Someone mentioned the new Princess ship’s IV SRs appear to be cramped/small. We found that on the existing Princess cruises we’ve done and when we go with them, we get a mini-suite. you can’t even have another couple over to socialize in a Princess standard SR. The Edge standard SR’s look as if they are more spacious than the current Celebrity SR’s and with the veranda open, it appears the SR will be very spacious. The current Celebrity veranda is very much a separate space; the Edge veranda extends the room nicely so the poster thinking the SR looks ‘cramped’ should take that into consideration. The poster said they were 6’5’’ and he and I have a similar issue, I’m 5’6”.

Den

Though I’m eagerly awaiting those initial Edge reviews, I’m just as eager to check her out myself;) I booked Edge the day the schedule was released, so I can’t complain too much about price. Yes, Edge prices were, and are, higher than prices for the rest of the fleet, but that’s neither unusual nor unexpected for new ships. I can recall the raving about prices when Solstice was launched. I also recall the vociferous, and prolonged, outcry about the storage above the bed on S-class ships (which we found quite useful). Now there are numerous complaints because it’s not a feature on Edge:')

We were intrigued by Edge in general, and the IV stateroom. We wanted to book the first season, but not the first few cruises. Like everyone else, we have our preferences, but I can’t think of a “make or break” design requirement. IMO, given Celebrity’s historically high standards (for design, service, food, general cleanliness, and maintenance) I’d guess they’d try extremely hard to get everything right on their new ship. That said, I would expect, and forgive, a few minor glitches during the first few cruises. We’ve been on five Celebrity cruises. We’ve experienced some glitches and annoyances on each one, but we’ve very much enjoyed them all. I don’t expect our Edge cruise to be any different.

Ah, yes, high prices for an unknown product. It’s exciting but also fraught with risk. As you intimate, anyone who feels a certain aspect of the stateroom or ship is “make or break” for a good cruise experience should definitely avoid booking Edge until real world reviews are out.

I agree with those who want to try and decide for themselves. But the risk is not too bad IMO. Many of us signed up for Edge initial sailings sight unseen because we have great experience with Celebrity over many years and actually trust them to do a great job on a design. build and then service on a new ship. Therefore it is not an unknown product per se. Celebrity is a known quantity to us.

We have been on many X ships ...starting with Century , Mercury

Never had a bad cruise on any ship...we have our favorites but don't see our 2 cruises on EDGE as a risk..We will experience AQ class, BLU, the amazing looking thermal suites and the window Veranda set up...

on a later cruise in 2019, we'll have a Sunset outside balcony with MDR choices,,,

If we waited to book, we could not have afforded either,

How could I trust the opinion of people I have never met, whose tastes may or may not match mine? That goes for any subject, not just new cruise ships. So we'll take the seven day Edge cruise in April and based on that decide what to do regarding the November TA. Frankly, I hope we like her, as the cost of the TA was much to our advantage. I am a traditionalist and Edge just might be a bit too modern, too sleek, maybe even cold or sterile for my taste. Again, I hope not

I've got my measuring tape packed. I plan to measure the closets and drawers in whatever cabins I can get into. Someone said that on the pre-pre-cruises to nowhere there are empty cabins that we can look at (since TAs and media are onboard). I'm really hoping that is so. I am bringing little bottles of VT Maple Syrup to reward anyone who appears amenable to letting me take a quick peek at their cabins. On my first cruise I won't find out my cabin type until mid-October. I am hoping for an IV so I can measure the most prevalent cabin on the ship to my heart's desire. :D

I've seen some measurements on S Class closets on here, but it was years ago. Maybe we can enlist some people cruising on S and M Class ships to do the measurements this fall. I will be in an M Class AQ in March, but would be nice to find out sooner. I have a tape measure app on my phone (My Measures) so anyone could measure without taking a measuring tape with them. Any volunteers to do S and M Class closet measuring? :D

We are sailing on the Infinity Nov 10. I will be happy to measure and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! When I told my family that I would be measuring closets on my next cruise, they thought I was crazy. They just don't get it! ;)

I’m afraid they do get it......we are crazy, but we already knew that by spending so much great time on these threads. Love it!

My wife and I teach a travel class and so much of the good info we pass comes from you and so many others here.

Den

• 2 weeks later...

I have been gone a while on Royals Presidents cruise which was great,by the way. In catching up I came across this photo on the blocks are in the house thread. I for one wondered about storage space for those misc. items, and was pleased to see that the corner does contain storage. htt https://i.pinimg.com/originals/28/b7/5d/28b75da5fe24445fbe6e8149506430b4.jpg p://

I have been gone a while on Royals Presidents cruise which was great,by the way. In catching up I came across this photo on the blocks are in the house thread. I for one wondered about storage space for those misc. items, and was pleased to see that the corner does contain storage. htt https://i.pinimg.com/originals/28/b7/5d/28b75da5fe24445fbe6e8149506430b4.jpg p://

Glad you are okay! I almost started a thread "Where's kearney?". ;)

Glad you had a great cruise!

We were on Harmony. First time for us. Love the storage. Two reasonable closets on either side of the bed...one with cubbies and drawers. I think Edge will be better than sleek design suggests. However if you have more than two in a cabin that could be an issue. It is nice that smaller items can be tucked away out of site.