"Smart Casual" dress code in the MDR.

It says men need to wear long sleeves on casual nights. Is this enforced? Are nice golf shirts a no no?

On Celebrity site:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the Celebrity Theatre for all evening performances.

Edited by easyboy

We got off of the Solstice last week. We had only packed one long sleeve shirt (besides the ones for chic nights) for DH. We didn't know about this policy until we boarded. He had 2 other shirts both short sleeve - a polo shirt & a cotton short sleeve. We talked to our butler about the policy & she told us he would be fine with those shirts, which he did wear 3 of the he 7 nights. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hopefully there are many who have recently (& not so recently) sailed on Reflection who are still reading these boards...what did THEY see the chaps wearing in the MDR?

The classification 'T-shirt' can be taken a number of ways. A collar-less short sleeve shirt (with or without motives/slogans) is what I would call a t-shirt, not in the slightest bit smart casual and not what I would expect to see in an evening restaurant. But a plain short sleeve with collar polo type shirt, perhaps with a little horse or laurel wreath 😎) is a different thing. Certainly costs a lot more in most cases ! A whole lot smarter. That is what DH was hoping to wear on a few evenings. Also I'm sure tailored cotton short sleeve shirts were allowed on previously cruises - surely sleeves don't have to be long ??

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

It says men need to wear long sleeves on casual nights. Is this enforced? Are nice golf shirts a no no?

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Your husband will be perfectly fine with a short sleeve shirt or a nice golf shirt on casual nights. My husband always wears shirts with short sleeves on casual nights and we have seen men with golf shirts as well. The only time my husband wears a long sleeve shirt is for 'chic' nights.

Your husband will be perfectly fine with a short sleeve shirt or a nice golf shirt on casual nights. My husband always wears shirts with short sleeves on casual nights and we have seen men with golf shirts as well. The only time my husband wears a long sleeve shirt is for 'chic' nights.

OP just make sure the golf shirt is indeed nice. On X this means a designer golf shirt, like a Lacoste, or a Ralph. I personally like Greg's stuff. He will be snickered at if he wears a nice Kirkland golf shirt, well maybe not on the ship, but on this board he surely will.:)

Short sleeve dress shirts are allowed.

Hopefully there are many who have recently (& not so recently) sailed on Reflection who are still reading these boards...what did THEY see the chaps wearing in the MDR?

The classification 'T-shirt' can be taken a number of ways. A collar-less short sleeve shirt (with or without motives/slogans) is what I would call a t-shirt, not in the slightest bit smart casual and not what I would expect to see in an evening restaurant. But a plain short sleeve with collar polo type shirt, perhaps with a little horse or laurel wreath ) is a different thing. Certainly costs a lot more in most cases ! A whole lot smarter. That is what DH was hoping to wear on a few evenings. Also I'm sure tailored cotton short sleeve shirts were allowed on previously cruises - surely sleeves don't have to be long ??

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Short sleeve dress shirts are definitely allowed in the MDR. They were allowed on Silhouette's April 2017 Transatlantic, Silhouette's November 2016 Transatlantic, Eclipse April 2016 Transatlantic, Norwegian Fjords following the Transatlantic and Eclipse Transatlantic in 2015. They were also allowed on the other cruises we have taken with X but I can't be bothered listing them. Golf shirts were also allowed.

So are short sleeves not permitted only long sleeves for men? I don't want my husband to run out of shirts he has a tendency to ruin every shirt he wears after a meal so I like to come prepared.

Short-sleeved shirts will be fine. The policy specifies SLEEVED shirts (as opposed to T-shirts or Muscle Shirts.) Personally, I am more comfortable in long sleeves because of the temperature, but you will see many men in short-sleeved shirts.

So are short sleeves not permitted only long sleeves for men? I don't want my husband to run out of shirts he has a tendency to ruin every shirt he wears after a meal so I like to come prepared.

Sounds like he eats like I eat.:o

I've read nothing on Celebrity's or this site that indicates I should not wear my usual MDR dinner attire which is a nice Hawaiian shirt plus long pants (docker style, no jeans) and usually sandals. I respectfully call that attire "Hawaiian formal".

I normally do not bring any long sleeve shirts unless I bring my tux, which lately I have not as it takes up too much room and weight in the suitcase. On our next Celeb cruise in January I might just take a sports jacket and a couple of "dress shirts" to substitute for the Hawaiian shirts. If I am wearing a sports jacket what difference does it make if I wear long or short sleeve shirts? Plus I will be wearing leather shoes, not sandals on those nights.

On the dailies it says long sleeves, sport casual. Sorry for the confusion.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

So this is starting to get more confusing.

I thought it was simple, wear a shirt with sleeves (short or long) and a collar, preferably one that doesn't have a silly picture or words on it. Now this statement about dailies suggesting long sleeves makes me believe even Celebrity doesn't know what it wants.

So this is starting to get more confusing.

I thought it was simple, wear a shirt with sleeves (short or long) and a collar, preferably one that doesn't have a silly picture or words on it. Now this statement about dailies suggesting long sleeves makes me believe even Celebrity doesn't know what it wants.

The only thing not confusing is that Celebrity is totally confused!

Heck, I'd be really confused if somehow Celebrity started to make sense! :D

Recently sailed Reflection and I can say that on every evening, including Chic nights, short sleeved shirts were acceptable in the MDR. I took many long sleeved shirts but did not wear some of them other than on Chic evening when we chose to wear jackets in addition to long sleeved shirts.

I only wear 'golf' or polo shirts during the day for breakfast and lunch and when off the ship on shore. It's just me but I believe those are too casual for me for dinner.

From Celebrity Website:

What is the onboard dress code?

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• • A cocktail dress
  • • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• • Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
  • • Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• • Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• • Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.