Help with Royal Caribbean Survey

The survey is incredibly important actually. Coming from a hotel background, I can tell you for certain how important those scores are and the comments are taken very seriously. We do everything we can to ensure people give us good scores. Now granted, I come from a high end background where our owners care about our scores as opposed to other hotels where they are in it for the money and hope the scores are okay. However, a lot of hotels, the surveys, not tripadvisor, drive the direction.

RC uses a company called Medallia, which a lot of hotel companies also use and they ask you for 9's and 10's for a reason. The scoring is broken down like this:

9-10: Promoter, someone who enjoyed your product and will most likely promote your product to others. Effectively scoring them 100%

7-8: Passive, this person somewhat enjoyed your product but you did not make a good enough impression for them to promote it. Effectively scoring them 0%

1-6: Detractor, this person did not enjoy your product at all and may even detract from people booking your product. Effectively -100%.

When you put it all together, you get a Net Promoter Score and this is how the product (hotel, ship, restaurant) is scored. Also known as, Likelihood to Recommend. So when you think an "8" is great, it's actually hurting the net promoter score significantly. The link below will help explain for anyone interested....

https://www.medallia.com/net-promoter-score/

Every time I get a mammogram, I'm asked to take the survey, given everyone's names and pleaded with to give high scores....same with hospital visits...a survey always follows. I tend to NOT fill them out. I get tired of them. If someone isn't doing their job, there will be complaints. If there is good feedback, that's great, but it does get old after a while.

The survey is incredibly important actually. Coming from a hotel background, I can tell you for certain how important those scores are and the comments are taken very seriously. We do everything we can to ensure people give us good scores. Now granted, I come from a high end background where our owners care about our scores as opposed to other hotels where they are in it for the money and hope the scores are okay. However, a lot of hotels, the surveys, not tripadvisor, drive the direction.

RC uses a company called Medallia, which a lot of hotel companies also use and they ask you for 9's and 10's for a reason. The scoring is broken down like this:

9-10: Promoter, someone who enjoyed your product and will most likely promote your product to others. Effectively scoring them 100%

7-8: Passive, this person somewhat enjoyed your product but you did not make a good enough impression for them to promote it. Effectively scoring them 0%

1-6: Detractor, this person did not enjoy your product at all and may even detract from people booking your product. Effectively -100%.

When you put it all together, you get a Net Promoter Score and this is how the product (hotel, ship, restaurant) is scored. Also known as, Likelihood to Recommend. So when you think an "8" is great, it's actually hurting the net promoter score significantly. The link below will help explain for anyone interested....

So we all need to score RCI low -> to get a better product!(y):cool:

On our last cruise, a B2B, waiter mentioned the survey on the final night both weeks. He stressed how important high ratings are to them, and asked that we please complete the survey. He was however, very careful not to say what rating we should give.

All 10s as usual in future if it means new ships.

Agree. There is more to the Survey then people realize

So in order to get new ships you are willing to take crappy food, etc? Makes a lot of sense to me. :rolleyes::rolleyes: How many more new ships do they really need? New and bigger isn't always better imo. I guess I'll have to start giving 1's in order to offset all the 10's. :D

Very interesting thank you.

So in order to get new ships you are willing to take crappy food, etc? Makes a lot of sense to me. :rolleyes::rolleyes: How many more new ships do they really need? New and bigger isn't always better imo. I guess I'll have to start giving 1's in order to offset all the 10's. :D
If the food or service was sub standard I would let them know immediately.

Fortunately 9 or 10 is the scores I give because they have been deserved.

So we all need to score RCI low -> to get a better product!(y):cool:

Your point is well taken. Many here complain about declining food quality, cut backs, and occasionally service. They also give high scores in the surveys to protect the crew members that they have personal relationships with.

It is a paradox. If you complain about the dining room quality or staff cutbacks that are the result of corporate decisions, Royal will use it as a hammer on the crew members. If you don't give low scores, Royal will use it to affirm their cutbacks.

Giving low scores when proper is important to prevent you from eventually voting with your business.

whats the point of a survey with a wide range of responses if they treat everything not 10 as a failure?

Here's how these surveys work.

They are used to cut costs. If everything is a 10, they can cut some more and wait and see. Still 10's? Cut a little more.

How does it impact a server? They may have to get a 92 or 95 or 97% overall on their surveys to qualify for their full compensation payout. If their average survey is, for example, 90%, they could lose part of their compensation in that pay period.

So in essence the staff sort of guide you towards a 10 for their compensation, but the real cost is a reduction of offerings and service over the long term to the paying guests.

Flawed survey? Absolutely. Game? Absolutely. Done in many industries exactly similarly? Absolutely.

I'm not super picky about service, I just expect "good" service, but I can't recall too many times I've had truly wow, exceptional, impressive service. Most of my experiences in life are probably a 7 or 8; wait staff returns 10 seconds after they put a plate down to ask how it is before the food has been touuched, they disappear and leave empty water glasses, empty plates sit a while, they forget to bring an item, etc. Nothing a big deal, you roll with it, but stuff like that isn't a "10".

The one thing I highly disagree with as a practice is holding the service staff responsible for the food quality.

I try to always answers survey's honestly. If that hurts the staff, then either the company is flawed in what they are doing, or the staff should be missing some. I feel if you do not give honest answers, it does nothing to actually fix any issues.

All that said, I do take value into the equation. On RCI, I do not expect 5star dining in the dining room, as I am not paying for 5star dining. We could not even buy 3 5-star meals per day for what we pay for the cruise, and there is so much more to the cruise than just the food. If I was willing to pay for a high-end line, then my expectations would be much higher.

+1 (y)

Just got off HOTS and had an amazing time. Wife and I are doing the survey and it asked if anyone asked us to provide positive feedback on survey. I know we had a couple workers talk to us about the survey but was wondering if they were supposed to or not. I don’t want to get anyone in trouble so how do we answer

There is an easy solution to this. Press "Delete" when you get the email! #toomanysurveys

During my last cruise on Anthem I was severely and continuously mistreated by the My Time Dining Staff. When I complained to guest services onboard I was told the "manager" would contact me but that never happened. So on the survey I reported my bad experiences and said please e-mail me to show somebody cares. I never got any response which tells me they don't read these comments and/or they don't care.

Why bother adding comments with the survey?

During my last cruise on Anthem I was severely and continuously mistreated by the My Time Dining Staff. When I complained to guest services onboard I was told the "manager" would contact me but that never happened. So on the survey I reported my bad experiences and said please e-mail me to show somebody cares. I never got any response which tells me they don't read these comments and/or they don't care.

As some have said on here email

Michael Bayley your complaints.

Host Clarea or someone else will give you his email address.

You shouldn't have to accept mistreatment.

On Allure last month, we had dinner nightly in specialty restaurants. One waiter mentioned the survey and told us that we should give them (him) an 8 or better. So, I guess an 8 is still ok.

None of the other waiters ever said a word to us about the survey, but their service was so over the top that we would give them a 10 anyway. By the way, we went back to that restaurant a second time, and had the same waiter and he gave us the same spiel the second time, but we told him we already knew the drill as he told us a couple of nights before.

IMO the best place to record your dissatisfaction ( with examples, in great detail) is their Facebook page. That stimulates an immediate response...