1st seating traditional main dining room-rushed?

We have always had traditional 2nd seating for dinner.

For those who have done 1st seating, do you feel rushed through dinner because they need to clear out & prep for 2nd seating?

We have niot felt rushed in first seating.

I did notice on our recent cruise in June they have you order your appetizer, main course, and dessert all at the same time. I'm sure that makes things more efficient for them but we always choose first seating and haven't ever felt rushed

I did notice on our recent cruise in June they have you order your appetizer, main course, and dessert all at the same time. I'm sure that makes things more efficient for them but we always choose first seating and haven't ever felt rushed

I HATE this new method of ordering. Very tacky, and I bet there is a lot of wasted desserts.

I HATE this new method of ordering. Very tacky, and I bet there is a lot of wasted desserts.

I agree that it is very tacky. However, the amount of food wasted on RCI (and all other cruise lines) has always been enormous so that has not really changed. Last time my wife and I ate at the MDR (last April), we asked our server if we could just order appetizers and main courses and order dessert later and the server answered "of course". So the new system of ordering desert in advance is not really mandatory, just like the menu suggestion of ordering only three courses is not mandatory (although it probably does reduce the amount of food that gets wasted). You can still order 2 starters (and probably even more, although we have not tried that). You can also request a second helping of any item. All you have to do is ask.

On Harmony 2 weeks ago, we experienced the order your whole meal at the beginning method.

We didn't think to ask if we can hold off on dessert order until after the meal. We also felt that we would've rather waited after to see if we were still hungry, and by that I mean did we only want 1 dessert or get the ice cream a la mode as well

Our experiences when ordering (appetizer, soup, salad, entree and dessert) is we advise the wait staff not to bring our next selection out until we are done with the previous selection. Never been a problem, never been rushed. No different then in the past at least for us. We set the pace for all our courses not our wait staff. Plan on doing it this way for our March 2019 B2B cruise on the Freedom.

Edited by davekathy

On Harmony 2 weeks ago, we experienced the order your whole meal at the beginning method.

We didn't think to ask if we can hold off on dessert order until after the meal. We also felt that we would've rather waited after to see if we were still hungry, and by that I mean did we only want 1 dessert or get the ice cream a la mode as well

What is the big deal about ordering your entire meal. If you don't want dessert they simply will not bring it to you. If you want a second or third they will also serve it for you. Desserts are already made and not specifically for you, unless it's a special order.

Tacky, is bringing everything at the same time.

Our orders for salad, soup, appetizers, entrée have been taken at the same time since our first cruise in 1991, on all our cruise lines. I don't see a problem there. And of course each one will not be delivered until we finish the previous one. If we change our minds on anything along the way, we just tell the waiter.

Our orders for salad, soup, appetizers, entrée have been taken at the same time since our first cruise in 1991, on all our cruise lines. I don't see a problem there. And of course each one will not be delivered until we finish the previous one....

Yes but the point is the member in post #7 mentioned their dessert order was also taken at that time... new for dinner (although lunch in the MDR has been this way - order dessert at the same time as lunch entrée). If that's the way it's going fleet-wide, I don't like it. ;p

Never felt rushed at Dinner on the early seating, but we always felt rushed to get to dinner, when we had to leave whatever we happened to be doing to get to the early seating. I do feel, though, there is a more relaxed atmosphere during 2nd seating.

Mark.

The only times we felt rushed were on one cruise when four people in one family showed up late every night. The waiter had us all wait to order until the others arrived and they were always at least 15 minutes late and they couldn't make up their minds what they wanted.

After the 3rd night, the rest of us asked if we could order as we were tired of having to wait for them every night. He did take our orders and we did get the appetizers before the others arrived, but they ordered the full dinner when they ordered. We had to wait for our entrees until they finished their appetizers.

I felt they were really rude and had no consideration for the others at the table, but nothing was ever said to them.