SA/SB/SC on Noordam - priority boarding?

Katie333

Hi all,

I've read IRL Joanie's webpage and picked out some cabins (for an itinerary that's not even available yet, gulp) on the Noordam.

If I were to book one of the above category I understand it comes with a variety of perks. Amongst those perks, I read priority tender and priority disembarkation but nothing about priority embarkation.

Is this a perk that HAL offers, or does everyone just do general boarding?

Guests in PS, S, SA, SB, SC are directed to a Suite check in line and are given Priority tag which permits them to board after those in wheelchairs are assisted aboard. They are the first group to board.

It is becoming less 'priority' as HAL has awarded this benefit to four star mariners as well. Though "S" guests pay for this priority, it is becoming less so the more people are eligible. For people like us who are always in an "S or SA" and are Four Star Mariner......where's the benefit? :rolleyes:

You will not have to go to the lounge to collect a tender number in ports where tenders are using. When you wish to go ashore, go to the announced deck where they have the gangway that day and get in the back of the line. There usually is not too long a line as they only let a limited number of folks who have collected tender numbers go to the gangway at once. Until those who are waiting get on a tender, they do not permit another group of people to go there.

Edited by sail7seas

Hi all,

I've read IRL Joanie's webpage and picked out some cabins (for an itinerary that's not even available yet, gulp) on the Noordam.

If I were to book one of the above category I understand it comes with a variety of perks. Amongst those perks, I read priority tender and priority disembarkation but nothing about priority embarkation.

For priority boarding, you get a blue tag you wear and you bypass folks waiting for their group number to be called. There are several kiosks available and you give your info to get your room key, etc. You are then whisked away in one of the glass elevators to your deck. Talk about a slick operation. For disembarkation, it's silent. They make one announcement stating disembarkation is beginning. You then leave according to your assigned times. Good idea in theory, but if they are late, a big jam starts. That's what we had when we had to disembark. There was no lines, no waiting, nothing to go through imigration. Back to the real world. Cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it was in the SA category for us. Yes, we used the neptune Lounge quite a bit. Oh, to only be back there right now.

Hi all,

Priority Embarkation only from the Port you start at, i.e., Ft Lauderdale, San Diego, Seattle, etc. NO priority Embarkation at ports that you are visiting such as islands or ports of call.

We had several Suite Guests who thought they received that perk everywhere and were quite upset to be sent back to the end of the line at one port.

Joanie

We had several Suite Guests who thought they received that perk everywhere and were quite upset to be sent back to the end of the line at one port.

Joanie

I'm wonder how they thought that task would be accomplished:confused:. Strange.

This is great, thank you so much!

My father is a bit of a diva, and he hates waiting in lines. So I want his experience to be as seamless as possible, especially the first impression of boarding the ship.

We are platinum on Princess and agree that the priority boarding is becoming less of a perk given the hordes that now qualify for this benefit. However, it's still nice to be in a special waiting area and to get on first.

Should we arrive around noon to get in the priority line ups?

This is great, thank you so much!

My father is a bit of a diva, and he hates waiting in lines. So I want his experience to be as seamless as possible, especially the first impression of boarding the ship.

We are platinum on Princess and agree that the priority boarding is becoming less of a perk given the hordes that now qualify for this benefit. However, it's still nice to be in a special waiting area and to get on first.

Should we arrive around noon to get in the priority line ups?

I have almost always found the lines on HAL to be better than Princess. I think you'll be happy. I wonder if anyone enjoys standing in line:D. I think the "worst" part of the lines is going through security. After that it's usually pretty darn good. It is likely to be busy around noon. You might want to wait until 1 ish or so. That said, it probably depends on the port.

Edited by lorekauf

JMO

But the priority embarkation for Deluxe Suite passengers is now a JOKE!!

For our Noordam cruise in Nov we arrived at the pier at about 10:50 and had to wait outside until the doors opened. DH and I were numbers 3 and 4 in line.

When the doors opened we were numbers 3 and 4 to go through security.

But when we went over to the Deluxe Suite line to check in there were already over 2 dozen people in line.

They were not handicapped -- they were 4 star Mariners who had entered the building somewhere else. I asked!!

The ladies in charge of the counter had to constantly go back and forth to the other side to get their ID cards and other information -- which took forever.

We finally got upstairs after 11:30.

So much for that suite perk.

Come to the ship at 1:00. By then, the only reason there would be any line would be if several buses arrived from the airport at the same time. HAL has many check in stations so they would spread them out and you would go directly from check in to the gangway and board immediately.

Guests in PS, S, SA, SB, SC are directed to a Suite check in line and are given Priority tag which permits them to board after those in wheelchairs are assisted aboard. They are the first group to board.

It is becoming less 'priority' as HAL has awarded this benefit to four star mariners as well. Though "S" guests pay for this priority, it is becoming less so the more people are eligible. For people like us who are always in an "S or SA" and are Four Star Mariner...

This is my first cruise in years that I haven't been able to score a DeLuxe Suite, but I AM a 4-star Mariner. On the Mariner page, it lists my perks as 'priority sign-in' and says to consult the main page for more info, which I couldn't find. Anyway, do I get priority boarding after my priority check-in?

As a 4 Star we have always checked in with the suites and boarded along with the suites. We are always given a boarding pass with an "S" and no number. Don't know if others have had a different experience.

Chatterbox :):)

As a 4 Star we have always checked in with the suites and boarded along with the suites. We are always given a boarding pass with an "S" and no number. Don't know if others have had a different experience.

Chatterbox :):)

YAY! Thanks, Chatterbox... see y'all in 4 days!

I think the Shore Ops people in Port Everglades do such a wonderful job, no one really waits very long if they arrive a bit after the main crush of people.

I always try to comment about them because they do not get enough praise and credit IMO

This is my first cruise in years that I haven't been able to score a DeLuxe Suite, but I AM a 4-star Mariner. On the Mariner page, it lists my perks as 'priority sign-in' and says to consult the main page for more info, which I couldn't find. Anyway, do I get priority boarding after my priority check-in?

That may vary with different embarkation ports. Four * Mariner status is supposed to get you priority check-in, but not priority boarding, and I have seen it work just that way.

The four * Mariner was sent to the Suite check-in line, but was given an embarkation number, in order, just like everyone else who was not in a suite. The fact that she was in the suite line did bump her closer to the head of the embarkation line, and because of that she did get an earlier boarding number than she would have, had she stayed with the rest of the non-suite check-in group.

But this in no way could be termed priority embarkation.

I am by no means contradicting you, Ruth, but we have been in line behind Four Star Mariners and they were given the same "S" Priority Embarkation tag we were given for "SA" suites.

Probably a case of inconsistency.

I am by no means contradicting you, Ruth, but we have been in line behind Four Star Mariners and they were given the same "S" Priority Embarkation tag we were given for "SA" suites.

I think it is Sail - a case of inconsistency that is. When they called the 'S' passengers for our Maasdam cruise there weren't that many people so there is no way the 4* mariners were included. (There quite a few on the ship according to the captain)

Exactly. As I said, it could vary with different ports.

I've been through great variance in how things are handled before getting to the check-in line, and even after that, while waiting to board.

In Fort Lauderdale in December, I was given an "S" card to board, but that was the first time that had happened anywhere, even though I have checked in at that line many times in many places---including one other time in Ft. Lauderdale.

Until one actually heads to the ship, everything seems to be in the hands of the port people, moreso than HAL. So, HAL's rules may be priority check-in, but not priority boarding, for four * Mariners, but the port people make their own rules.

Exactly. As I said, it could vary with different ports.

I've been through great variance in how things are handled before getting to the check-in line, and even after that, while waiting to board.

In Fort Lauderdale in December, I was given an "S" card to board, but that was the first time that had happened anywhere, even though I have checked in at that line many times in many places---including one other time in Ft. Lauderdale.

Until one actually heads to the ship, everything seems to be in the hands of the port people, moreso than HAL. So, HAL's rules may be priority check-in, but not priority boarding, for four * Mariners, but the port people make their own rules.

I agree that the port Red Coats make their own rules. At our home port we had always had Priority Check-in AND Priority Boarding.

Last cruise we were told sternly and with a bit of "trying to jump the line, are we?" attitude that it is only Priority Check-in, period. Funny because we passed on the way to our area that day another HAL waiting room and saw someone we knew in the Priority Boarding seating area. Inconsistency is rampant!

The last time I checked our 4 star mariner status did not have a halo over it but maybe it should with over 1,200 days with HAL but we have received priority boarding each and every time. You can bet we aren't going to complain and we feel sorry for those that have not gotten it.:):)

• 3 months later...

My wife and I just returned from a 10 day Mediterranean cruise departing from Rome on June 17th. We were in a deluxe veranda suite and did a priority check-in but to my surprise, when embarkation began, we found we had no priority boarding. When I questioned the HAL staff at the boarding area, I was told in no uncertain terms that only the penthouse suite guests had priority boarding. This is the first time I've been denied priority boarding as a deluxe suite guest. Is this a new HAL policy?

My wife and I just returned from a 10 day Mediterranean cruise departing from Rome on June 17th. We were in a deluxe veranda suite and did a priority check-in but to my surprise, when embarkation began, we found we had no priority boarding. When I questioned the HAL staff at the boarding area, I was told in no uncertain terms that only the penthouse suite guests had priority boarding. This is the first time I've been denied priority boarding as a deluxe suite guest. Is this a new HAL policy?

I think it is more a mis-informed employee.