Plastic straws

Acrusa

Respectfully, I disagree. Paper straws do not have the same mouthfeel and almost inevitably disintegrate. A California 9-year old’s questionable study led to this growing hysteria over plastic straws. John Stossel has a great video on this online. There are items that are far worse for the environment. But these were an easy target, and are the thin end of the spear for zealots.

(And yes, ideally no shipboard non-biodegradable trash should ever end up just blowing into the sea.)

We will bring some plastic and metal straws with us....

The video I saw, involved a 14 year olds sketchy research claiming that over 8 million pounds of straws get disposed of every year. Love to know what "Antifa" clown coached the kid on that research.

The video I saw, involved a 14 year olds sketchy research claiming that over 8 million pounds of straws get disposed of every year. Love to know what "Antifa" clown coached the kid on that research.

If you stood at the back of an Oceania ship on the Terrace,you would see them all blowing into the sea.Probably 8 million!!

If you stood at the back of an Oceania ship on the Terrace,you would see them all blowing into the sea.Probably 8 million!!

Obviously your idea of a joke:(

I think more crap in the oceans/lakes come from private boats than cruise ships

The crap that comes ashore on our lake is NOT from a cruise ship

Let's not mention the garbage that gets thrown out of cars that end up at the curb or on the side of the roadways

Let's face it some people are just slobs & no amount of legislation or fines will help them

Let's not mention the garbage that gets thrown out of cars that end up at the curb or on the side of the roadways

Let's face it some people are just slobs & no amount of legislation or fines will help them

Err yes! But this is an Oceania forum and I was very upset on our trip to and from French Polynesia,how the shrugged shoulders from staff seemed to be the response as I watched meal after meal,day after day the amount of sugar,pepper,salt,butter wrappers,paper serviettes and straws were just left to blow into the sea.My concern was the sea life eating these things when it could be preventable.

Of course the world has far bigger issues with plastic but small pieces are a very serious danger when ingested.

One baby turtle,small bird,endangered fish may seem petty to some but it’s a constant threat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Respectfully, I disagree. Paper straws do not have the same mouthfeel and almost inevitably disintegrate. A California 9-year old’s questionable study led to this growing hysteria over plastic straws. John Stossel has a great video on this online. There are items that are far worse for the environment. But these were an easy target, and are the thin end of the spear for zealots.

(And yes, ideally no shipboard non-biodegradable trash should ever end up just blowing into the sea.)

We will bring some plastic and metal straws with us....

I agree. Some people love to jump on a bandwagon - any bandwagon. The attention being paid to this issue surprises me when there are so many more important environmental issues out there.

I agree. Some people love to jump on a bandwagon - any bandwagon. The attention being paid to this issue surprises me when there are so many more important environmental issues out there.

Fortunately, many of us can pay attention to more than one issue at a time!

Just pack some washing up liquid to keep them clean & hygienic

On line that do not supply free bottled water we take our reusable bottle

Ditto, my own reusable water bottle and a supply of plastic straws. Been doing this for a couple of years.

It's a charming but true anecdote that a 14-year old's estimate was the beginning of the interest in bans on plastic straws, but the issue has been taken up by university researchers. Sorry to burst your bubble about Antitifa clowns being the source of the estimate, but here's the reality, "So he called straw manufacturers himself, asking what they estimated to be the straw market in the United States per day."

Here's a link to the child's original estimate and updates on his estimate:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/07/18/anti-straw-movement-based-unverified-statistic-500-million-day/750563002/

Here are a few links to articles about university scientists involvement with the issue:

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-science-amount-straws-plastic-pollution.html

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2018-04-20/science-says-amount-of-straws-plastic-pollution-is-huge

One of our drivers a few years back was driving one of our trucks to a job(We're a large catering co.)I was behind her & I watched her toss out a cig. butt out the window(as did a "Statie" on the side of the road). Obviously we ALL had to pull over & wait as he read her the riot act. I actually had him write her a ticket. I also told anyone caught smoking in one of our vehicles is fired on the spot, NO excuses. You don't want the rich flavor of tobacco taste in your food, do you? Well neither do I! Same goes for trash tossers. You get caught, you're fired, period!

It's a charming but true anecdote that a 14-year old's estimate was the beginning of the interest in bans on plastic straws, but the issue has been taken up by university researchers. Sorry to burst your bubble about Antitifa clowns being the source of the estimate, but here's the reality, "So he called straw manufacturers himself, asking what they estimated to be the straw market in the United States per day."

Here's a link to the child's original estimate and updates on his estimate:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/07/18/anti-straw-movement-based-unverified-statistic-500-million-day/750563002/

Here are a few links to articles about university scientists involvement with the issue:

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-science-amount-straws-plastic-pollution.html

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2018-04-20/science-says-amount-of-straws-plastic-pollution-is-huge

It still doesn't prove that 8 million lb. of straws wind up in the sea. Either way I'm fine with going with paper straws. we offer them. I know some say NO straws, but downing a frappe or similar drink can be pretty messy without some kind of straw.

• 2 weeks later...
Err yes! But this is an Oceania forum and I was very upset on our trip to and from French Polynesia,how the shrugged shoulders from staff seemed to be the response as I watched meal after meal,day after day the amount of sugar,pepper,salt,butter wrappers,paper serviettes and straws were just left to blow into the sea.My concern was the sea life eating these things when it could be preventable.

Of course the world has far bigger issues with plastic but small pieces are a very serious danger when ingested.

One baby turtle,small bird,endangered fish may seem petty to some but it’s a constant threat.

Seriously. Crew members are away from family for 9 months at a time.

They miss birthdays, anniversaries, deaths, Christmas, etc.

They work every single day for those 9 months without one day off.

Yet you were "very upset" at their shrugged shoulders when "stuff" blew into the ocean.

You should live their lives for one year. Screw the baby turtles!;p

Yet you were "very upset" at their shrugged shoulders when "stuff" blew into the ocean.

At this point in time with what I and my family are going through,I would have gladly lived their life for the past year.

As I said this is an Oceania Forum and I have no idea why you have skipped from HAL to have a go at me.Your only Oceania post!

Edited by janecambridge

“Screw the baby turtles”..... such an ignorant statement! Yes crew can be tired at times and they work hard BUT there’s no excuse for allowing anything to go overboard

• Thanks 1

I agree on water bottles.... however, when the focus is on a situation that was not a problem, never was a problem, people get plain fed up and realize that if you give an inch the zealots and crazies will take miles. What will they want next !!!!

People who were caring are going to react by not caring and see any placation or pandering to the nut-jobs is only going to clear the way for more and more radical agendas. This stupid straw thing will turn off far more people from caring about the environment than it will enlist more support....... Any conservation idea in the future is going to fall on disfavor...form the general public who is fed up with this never ending demands on them....

Going to crummy paper straws by these duped corporation is going to create a lot of angry customers, and quietly the plastic straws will re appear. And the 9 yea rold's research will be forgotten before his 11th birthday party

Watch Plastic Oceans , it’s a real eye opener! This is about so much more than just straws

On Sirena chasing Florence across the Atlantic right now. So far, they have straws if you ask for them, and it seems to me that the milkshakes are deliberately more runny so that you won’t ask for one. The result? I always ask for a thick shake and a straw. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watch Plastic Oceans , it’s a real eye opener! This is about so much more than just straws

Was Al Gore a producer? I have serious questions on these " the sky is falling" productions who's real goal is to get a lot of $$$$ donations so that these folks can live a comfortable life... telling everyone how to behave..

I am reminded of a joke. Whats the difference between a hard working family man and an environmentalist. The family man hopes to some day to have a house by the beach. The environmentalist already has one !

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Got off Insignia recently, and they had straws (plastic) for the milkshakes without asking.  In other areas, straws were available/given.  I'm perfectly happy drinking iced tea or diet Coke without a straw, but milkshakes are really hard to deal with without straws.

• Like 1