Tour of the ship?

Sea42

Renaissance offered such a tour on our first cruise with them in October 1999 ... That was on Regatta (then the R2). Never seen anything like it since, not even on our two other Renaissance cruises! Definitely not on Oceania.

Mura

Perhaps security issues are the reason these type of tours are not offered.

Other cruise lines offer them, including NCL, which is part of the same corporate family, so it's not a security issue. NCL has eliminated bridge tours from its behind the scenes tour however.

We were on Marina in July and they offered a behind the scenes tour of the kitchens and galleys for $29 per person. They filled up quickly and we were not able to participate. (I think they said first 20 people) Check with destination services for availability. We had been told they could not offer tours in the past due to “liability issues”.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the information. I've seen them offered on HAL and it was full before we signed up. Looked interesting though. Princess and HAL offered free galley tours and those were quite interesting.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

We were on Marina in July and they offered a behind the scenes tour of the kitchens and galleys for $29 per person. They filled up quickly and we were not able to participate. (I think they said first 20 people) Check with destination services for availability. We had been told they could not offer tours in the past due to “liability issues”.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You would think they would do it for free. Good PR. When we were on Crystal they offered those tours 2 or 3 times during our cruise at no charge. Was very nice but no way I would pay 29.00 plus the same for my BW. :(:(

You would think they would do it for free. Good PR. When we were on Crystal they offered those tours 2 or 3 times during our cruise at no charge. Was very nice but no way I would pay 29.00 plus the same for my BW. :(:(

For what Crystal charges in the first place, they should not just provide the Tour, they should carry you in a litter

180px-Litter_%28PSF%29.png

...but then, I believe that is why you ended up on Oceania in the first place. ;p

We were on a 2015 Riviera cruise in an A1 cabin and were told to go check with the concierge about a ship tour. Sure enough he scheduled us on one for free where they took us to the bridge and engineering. It was pretty cool. But to be honest you’ve seen one bridge, you’ve seen them all. On your next cruise if you are in an A cabin or higher, go talk to the concierge and see what they say.

We were on a 2015 Riviera cruise in an A1 cabin and were told to go check with the concierge about a ship tour. Sure enough he scheduled us on one for free where they took us to the bridge and engineering. It was pretty cool. But to be honest you’ve seen one bridge, you’ve seen them all. On your next cruise if you are in an A cabin or higher, go talk to the concierge and see what they say.

Thank you, it's worth a try!

I've been on the bridge of a river cruise ship when they went under a low bridge and had to lower the wheelhouse. Very few people were on the ship because most people went on a long excursion that day and the tour buses met the ship later in the day. We were on top deck alone when they had to clear the deck and lower the rails. Someone came up and told us that the captain invited us to join him. Really cool.

The kids got a bridge tour on Regatta two years ago as part of the Alaska kids program. Not sure if they still do it.

Mary

We were on a 2015 Riviera cruise in an A1 cabin and were told to go check with the concierge about a ship tour.... On your next cruise if you are in an A cabin or higher, go talk to the concierge and see what they say.

Did the concierge say that those in less than Concierge Level cabins would not be taken on a tour - it just a perq for the A level and up? Just looking for clarification, not complaining.

Thank-you for posting your first hand experience. I have read on other lines where they offered a tour but not advertised and very limited just as you describe. Good to know that it might be possible on O now too for those interested in purchasing a tour.

Did the concierge say that those in less than Concierge Level cabins would not be taken on a tour - it just a perq for the A level and up? Just looking for clarification, not complaining.
Mind you, this was our first O cruise. But we got the feeling it was because we were in a concierge or higher cabin; otherwise we were under the impression we weren't even allowed to talk with the concierge. At least that was our impression. But, if you're in a B or lower cabin, it doesn't hurt to at least ask the question.

Mind you, this was our first O cruise. But we got the feeling it was because we were in a concierge or higher cabin; otherwise we were under the impression we weren't even allowed to talk with the concierge. At least that was our impression. But, if you're in a B or lower cabin, it doesn't hurt to at least ask the question.

If you're talking about the Concierge in the lobby then they are there for all the passengers. The ones in the Concierge lounge and Executive lounge are there for the respective guests that are allowed to use those rooms.

If you're talking about the Concierge in the lobby then they are there for all the passengers. The ones in the Concierge lounge and Executive lounge are there for the respective guests that are allowed to use those rooms.
The one in the main lobby set it up for us. But, that was back in Mar 2015. It sounds like O now charges a small fee for the tour and includes going through the kitchen. May have to check it out when we sail with her next month.

Curious

What sailing were you on?

How was the offer presented ?

Was it in a notice sent to the cabin in Currents ???

Was it only the Galley that was included in the tour?

TIA

The one in the main lobby set it up for us. But, that was back in Mar 2015. It sounds like O now charges a small fee for the tour and includes going through the kitchen. May have to check it out when we sail with her next month.

I asked my DW how we initially found out about the March 2015 bridge tour and she said the Concierge Lounge concierge told us to make a reservation with the concierge in the main lobby. Also, she reminded me that we only saw the bridge on that free tour. We saw engineering on a different Behind the Scenes tour on a different non-O ship.

For what Crystal charges in the first place, they should not just provide the Tour, they should carry you in a litter

180px-Litter_%28PSF%29.png

...but then, I believe that is why you ended up on Oceania in the first place. ;p

Ended up on Oceania for many reasons, the least of them was a ships tour. Crystal was great but for us Oceania is better in most of the things we care about aboard the ship. :)