Two Specific Encore Questions

claudiaYVR

For those of you recently or currently on Encore, I would really appreciate info on the following:

1. Given the absence of self-serve launderettes, is there still a clothesline above the bathtub in the V suites?

2. Given the (new?) policy of only 1 advance online reservation for TK Grill, has anyone been successful making additional reservations for TK Grill onboard? If so how? I've been told to go to Seabourn Square and request them.

Many thanks,

Yes there is a clothesline.Also the bag for $50.00 is a great deal.You can get a lot of clothes in.

We had 1 reservation for the Grill.We had no problem getting additional reservations on board.

Yes there is a clothesline.Also the bag for $50.00 is a great deal.You can get a lot of clothes in.

We had 1 reservation for the Grill.We had no problem getting additional reservations on board.

Thanks Capri73!

We "camped out" at the TK bar at least 4 nights in a row trying to secure a second reservation at the TK grille. We found the offerings in the main dining room to be so mediocre and the buffet theme nights in the Colonnade not to our liking . A few tables were always available but the hostess would not seat us- we were supposedly waitlisted but could not secure a table until the second to the last night of our cruise. It brings to mind the all-inclusive concept in Mexico- tables are available in the "reservation only"restaurants but management preferred that you dined in the less expensive, buffet restaurants. I think that diners are being turned away because the food offerings at the TK Grille are of a higher quality- we enjoyed a delicious Dover sole and the steaks were definitely better than those served in the Restaurant. Very frustrated by the Encore experience.

So funny how we all experience something different.I believe you had issues but we went the night of and always got in.We would look at the menus of the other restaurants and decide on the day of which restaurant to dine in.

Aside from that we would never sail on the Encore again.

So funny how we all experience something different.I believe you had issues but we went the night of and always got in.We would look at the menus of the other restaurants and decide on the day of which restaurant to dine in.

Aside from that we would never sail on the Encore again.

My experience with TK Grill was on Quest, not Encore, but during that sailing I actually received a printed invitation to dine there on two evenings, even though I'd already eaten there on two other evenings earlier in the cruise. I hadn't asked to be waitlisted or tried to make these reservations, they offered them to me without me asking. So I don't think, on that cruise at least, they were trying to take cost cutting measures.

On the Encore in general, nothing I've heard direct from friends or read here at CC and elsewhere online has persuaded me to sail on this ship.

My TA called me just last week with two very good offers later this year but at this stage I'm not at all convinced enough to hand over my hard earned cash.

I suppose I will try Encore at some point, but for now I'll stick with the lovely 'O' class ships.

We did a 35 day cruise on the Encore Singapore to Athens arriving May 6. This was our 3rd and most enjoyable Sebourn Cruise.

The only disappointment was the TK Grill, in general the food is poor. We ate there four times, never had a problem getting additional reservations. The TK Bar was great, we spent most evenings before going to the Restaurant having pre-dinner drinks. The piano player and singer (a woman) was also good.

The TK items served in the Restaurant were very good. We enjoyed eating in the Restaurant.

While we were onboard Seabourn was converting an area into a laudry and ironing room. I am sure by now it is available for use,

Just back from Encore. Yes to the clothesline and yes the $50 stuff a bag is a pretty decent deal/alternative. In regards to MDR food and TK Grill. We enjoyed every entree we had in the dining room, especially the TK designed ones (and I consider myself a fairly picky eater). I was disappointed in the Colonnade. It is severely understaffed and the food there is not as good as I remember from previous Seabourn experiences (we never ate there at dinner time though). TK Grill was a highlight. The food and service was very good...so much so that I asked very nicely on the way out if we could secure another reservation for the following week and had no problem doing so.

We did a 35 day cruise on the Encore Singapore to Athens arriving May 6. This was our 3rd and most enjoyable Sebourn Cruise.

The only disappointment was the TK Grill, in general the food is poor. We ate there four times, never had a problem getting additional reservations. The TK Bar was great, we spent most evenings before going to the Restaurant having pre-dinner drinks. The piano player and singer (a woman) was also good.

The TK items served in the Restaurant were very good. We enjoyed eating in the Restaurant.

While we were onboard Seabourn was converting an area into a laudry and ironing room. I am sure by now it is available for use,

I just got off last week. You should not be sure they are available as I can assure you they are Not.

Perhaps the food situation was impacted by numbers- the Encore was fully booked during our cruise and the MDR was very busy. Trying to provide freshly prepared food for a crowded dining room may have been challenging, at the very least. We had one "special order " dinner which was prepared perfectly- unfortunately every other evening was mediocre to poor. TK was likely to offer us the best experience due to the smaller number of diners- and the service was most definitely more polished. Quest, Sojourn and Legend delivered a much better dining experience and size may have been a factor. I only hope that cost cutting isn't responsible for the average food and service- if so, then many past cruisers will choose a different way to spend their time and money. Many of the passengers on our cruise also expressed their disappointment with Encore at various times and I can only hope that management will take note and make the necessary changes.

• 3 months later...

We recently sailed on Encore and were able to eat at the TK Grill twice. Here's how it worked. Some friends we met onboard had made a reservation for four--and invited us to join them. We did. Then, we had our own reservation for two. We enjoyed that as well. I would not say that the food at the TK Grill is any better than at the MD. The ribeye steak was very tasty, but tough--not surprising for grass fed beef. My husband had a special---a chicken pot pie and loved it. I had Eggplant Parmigiana the second night---it was just ok. The ambience was nice though. We did ask the staff to turn down the volume of very loud canned music. They did and the ambience was improved.