san pedro (cruise terminal area).....

cabinboy1945

Re Sunrise hotel and reading reviews. This little gem was inserted within a recent 4 star review on TripAdvisor

"Only other thing..the floors were quite dirty in our room, I was barefoot and my boyfriend was wearing white trainer socks and both of our feet were covered in black after walking around for a little while!"

• 2 weeks later...

Bruin Steve-

I have enjoyed reading your comments. I was born in San Diego and grew up in West Covina. My really good girlfriend moved to San Pedro in 1969 after we graduated from high school- they were very well off and their house was on the hill with a great view; thus I am very well acquainted with S. California. I get what you are saying.

These boards are so helpful and I hope the people who are cruising out of San Pedro and Long Beach are still following. Believe me when I say that these are NOT ports where I would be excited about an extended stay!!!

I was so disappointed when I learned that our Panama Canal cruise would be leaving from LA, AKA San Pedro! Darn, I wish it had at least been Long Beach!!!

Oh well, anyway, I am quite relentless in hotel research and use the tools available to me: general searches, Trip Advisor, Priceline, etc. I kept at it and obtained a decent rate at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro because it is close to the port and has a shuttle. I will continue to monitor and maybe get the rate down even more.

WE do not go overboard, but consider needed lodging stays a part of our vacation and budget accordingly. True, we could fly down the same day as embarkation, but that is too stressful.

P.S. When we could, we left S. CAl and migrated to the Northwest and love it here.

NOT a whole lot to see or do in Pedro now. Ports-O-Call area is mid remodel with few things still open. Area immediately around cruise center has numerous half way houses and has homeless issues

Thanks for the update... we still don't really have a plan for San Pedro, we will be there Wednesday from 0700-2100. We were just going to go for a walk from the port, but maybe not such a good idea??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can think of two things within walking distance. USS Iowa is with in a 1/2 mile walk. Have no idea of the cost of admission. Further down is the Los Angeles Maritime Museum, again never been. The Ports-O-Call area is just beyond that.

You don't think DownTown Los Angeles (DTLA) has gotten safer in 27 years? You don't think people live in DTLA?

DTLA is one of the hottest communities in LA right now. They can't build condo towers fast enough.They are even starting to build tony condos south of the 10 Freeway. It is also one of the hottest foodie destinations in the LA area.

The construction of Staples Center and LA Live completely shifted the landscape of DTLA. There are many great hotels in DTLA, including 5 star properties and more coming.

Let me add something as you are assuming I don't know anything about downtown LA since the time I was helping my friend. I didn't mention working there as I didn't stick around after hours, but I have worked at jobs, including for my friend's father just blocks from DT.

Also my hubby has spent much of his 34 years working for the city of LA (he retired in 2015), working at City Hall, at Piper Tech, and at Parker Center (his last couple of years was at the LAPD valley dispatch center here in the SFV so that was the only time he wasn't working DT).

He worked many years on the grave yard shift and he wouldn't stay downtown. In fact, when he was a supervisor over a 24/7 operation, he would fight for his AM shift employees to get permission to park in the parking lot in city hall so they wouldn't be having to deal with going from even a nearby parking lot.

So maybe I haven't been downtown a lot in the past 30 years, but I have been to the Reagan building for hearings a couple of times and also a courthouse for a decision that was affecting my community -- all in the past few months. I was with others, and we tried to park either in a close parking lot or just a few blocks away -- and that was in the day time. And I'm sticking with the idea that DTLA is not a place to stay...unless you're there on business and your company is paying for one of the better hotels there, and also for transportation.

For a cruise out of the Port of LA or LB, there is not a single reason I can think of to stay there. My hubby would certainly agree with this, and he is very familiar with the area.

We recently stayed at Crowne Plaza in San Pedro never again! Our room was on the 10th floor and they only had 1 working elevator, it would take a very long time to get up to our room. If you used the stairs you had to exit the hotel and walk around to get to the lobby. There is NO free coffee in the lobby (there is a small coffee maker in your room), and there is no free breakfast. The breakfast is an additional $12-$14 a person and there was a 45 minute wait the morning we were there. For almost $300 a night with taxes and fees I expected a lot more out of a Crowne Plaza, this place is pretty run down and it's obviously only busy because of the cruisers using it.

We were there off the Star Princess. San Pedro is a waste of time. Ports O call all boarded up, lots of construction. We walked down to there then back, used the ports free wifi and spent the rest of the day pool side.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums