Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Yes, staying inside is a good idea. I'm so glad you're safe.

My daughter, in Oregon, says it's pouring rain there, hopefully the rain will be moving down the coast and bring some very welcomed relief to everyone.

I can't help but feel a deep sadness for those who lost their homes and the frightening experience that all are enduring during these wildfires.

CCI will need lots of help to get through this and to maintain the safety and security of their beautiful dogs. It's a huge task......the staff will truly be tested through it all. I send my very best wishes to keep up their strength and energy and to be safe!

They are reporting that all of the dogs have been safely transported. We could sure use the rain, but it doesn't look like it will be coming this far south.

Dianne

They are reporting that all of the dogs have been safely transported. We could sure use the rain, but it doesn't look like it will be coming this far south.

Dianne

Dianne,

Anyone whose had any dealings with this remarkable organization is feeling the pain for them.......It's so heart wrenching to think of the confusion in these dogs heads right now. I know they'll forget all about it and when they go back to Santa Rosa they'll be happy boys and girls again. I also know how well they're all being treated and that does my heart good!

Exactly what I was thinking when I wrote about Disney. I miss him too!

Sorry I haven't been around lately. Work has been crazy busy and I'm in the final stages of planning our Disney World trip in December. I'm also in the beginning stages of planning next years October Disney world trip. Everything here is going pretty good. Gretel is working out great. I know one of the Puppy Raiser/Breeder/Caretakers that lost her house and car in the fires in Santa Rosa. It's hard to even see the photos on TV. But Roz, you NEED to take a Disney Cruise. I've been on Carnival, RCCL & Disney. Disney is the best by far.

Hi DKD - good to "hear" from you .... "We" - that would be H.M. Roz and her wonderful court ;):cool: - worry you know when we haven't "heard" from someone in a while but tell me about it, sometimes life just gets busy and where does that time go?!

That's great Gretel is doing well. I'm so sad to read about these terrible fires and people have lost everything. It's just been on the news again ... But despite all that these wonderful people take care of the dogs .... It's heartbreaking.

I am off tomorrow for the annual girls cruise. I can't wait, I am ready. Today will be a long day of waiting.

Halo is not going with. He is staying home with daddy, my husband, who has been gone for a week. Halo is a Velcro dog today. I wish I could get in his head, I hope he doesn't think he is getting abandoned. He will be with his buddy tomorrow until Rich gets him. Hopefully that will keep him distracted, I am sure it will.

Linda and Halo

Bon Voyage Linda! :D

Halo will be fine - he'll have a great time with his Daddy! All boys together, they'll be snuggled up on the sofa together, eating treats, and maybe missing Mum! Ha ha! And they will both be so pleased to see you when you get home!

Enjoy your girls trip! :cool: Take a leaf out of Keith's book, enjoy the drinks package! :halo::D

I've really been having trouble getting in here. I finally uninstalled the app and reinstalled. I can get in now but it takes forever to load the page.

Since all the devastation on all the islands, our itinerary has now changed to Western Caribbean. We are not happy but understand why. That being said, has anyone been to Costa Maya with their dog? Years ago they wanted a yearly rabies but from the list posted by someone in June, looks like that's changed and they will take the 3 year one now. Any info will be helpful.

Cindy

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Bon Voyage Linda! :D

Halo will be fine - he'll have a great time with his Daddy! All boys together, they'll be snuggled up on the sofa together, eating treats, and maybe missing Mum! Ha ha! And they will both be so pleased to see you when you get home!

Enjoy your girls trip! :cool: Take a leaf out of Keith's book, enjoy the drinks package! :halo::D

I did get the drink package for the first time. I cruise Carnival. They added the specialty coffee, sodas and water; it was the coffee that sold it for me. I have so much more room in my bag since I am not smuggling:)

I know Halo will be fine, but I still worry about him. He has his first sleep over Saturday night, just one night. Halo and Bear have been together since 5 months, they are the same age. I do in house dog sitting and Bear comes several times a week. Bear trains, kind of, with Halo when I work Halo. Bear is not a service dog but has picked up on some of the training. And Bear's mom and dad are the most familiar with Halo's training and his needs.

Linda and Halo

Linda, I know you are probably already gone, but have a great trip. Halo will be having the time of his life (hopefully). Him and Bear can stay up all night watching movies, eating popcorn and making crank phone calls! BOL (bark out loud) You are so lucky to have someone that you trust to leave him with. I think in the back of my mind, that is why I haven't booked a cruise in like forever. My sister can come stay with Travis, Jezzy Lou and Leann Emily, but I would worry, did she open the front door and Jezzy bolted? She won't come back on her own. We live on a very busy street with a 35 mph speed. Do most of the drivers do 35 or less. NO. idiots. That is my biggest fear that Jezzy will get out. We are going to have a courtyard put in the front yard with a gate on it. Just haven't gotten around to it. Anyway, babbling over. Have a fantastic cruise.:cool:

Antie Roz,

We are getting the itch! Chocolate Lab pups in our paper. 9 of them! Hubby even was picking out names! We may have a new baby in the house. Just worried if we are up to the 2 years of puppydom. I say yes, then re-think it. Will keep everyone posted. I can smell the puppy breath!

Sorry I haven't been around lately. Work has been crazy busy and I'm in the final stages of planning our Disney World trip in December. I'm also in the beginning stages of planning next years October Disney world trip. Everything here is going pretty good. Gretel is working out great. I know one of the Puppy Raiser/Breeder/Caretakers that lost her house and car in the fires in Santa Rosa. It's hard to even see the photos on TV. But Roz, you NEED to take a Disney Cruise. I've been on Carnival, RCCL & Disney. Disney is the best by far.

I'm so glad to hear that you're busy planning all good stuff and that Gretel is working out well. I'm sure that you see and hear "Orson" at every turn in your home and that he remains inside your heart ♥ I swear that sometimes I see Brenda laying in the hall, in front of the front door, waiting for me to leave, and making sure that I don't leave without her!

I heard that Jean Schulz [Charles Shulz' wife] had to be evacuated from her home in Santa Rosa and that it was lost, along with a lot of Charles' stuff. The Peanuts [Charles Shulz Museum] in Santa Rosa has been saved along with the majority of memorabilia. Charles & Jean Schulz meant so much to CCI and have given, unselfishly since the 1970's. Jean has remained on the Board of Directors since CCI's inception. I wish her well.

Doing a Disney cruise definitely remains on my bucket list. [it will have to be out of San Diego] unless, they start leaving out of L.A. again. Hopefully, I can fit one in, in between the cruises that I already have planned in the future.

Take care, and do check in with us every now and then ♥

Antie Roz,

We are getting the itch! Chocolate Lab pups in our paper. 9 of them! Hubby even was picking out names! We may have a new baby in the house. Just worried if we are up to the 2 years of puppydom. I say yes, then re-think it. Will keep everyone posted. I can smell the puppy breath!

Nancy, I'm so sorry I didn't respond to this sooner......so much is going on and so busy. I'm so happy for you.....Your life will be changed forever. Yes, it's tons and tons of work but the final result and partnership will be so, so worth it. Please let us know how it's all going and if you've done it yet!

The only reason that CCI has not turned out Chocolate Labs is they haven't had the breeders but we all hope that we'll see some in the future. I asked a trainer if there were any other reasons because I had actually heard that Chocolate Labs were different in their behavior.......she said that's nonsense.....a Lab, is a Lab, is a Lab!!!!! Just like people; some are easier to train than others! ;p

I hope everyone is safe and doing well. I'm getting closer to Horton's Vet appointments in preparation for our Hawaii cruise on December 2nd. That always starts me with the goosies and getting excited.

Have a good weekend everyone! ♥

I am back. Good cruise, but got a bad headcold. Just taking it easy and working on getting over the cruise. I think I got it because I have been bragging about never getting sick on cruises (this was my 14th).

Halo did great on his first sleepover and the stay with Bear and his family. I did get the big dog hug and he has been, somewhat, clingy since I have been home.

Hope everyone is doing good.

Linda and Halo

Well the Chocolate Lab pup fell thru. The guy had 3 boys left when he placed the add. He had them all sold before the add even came out. :( But he did give me another contact, here in Arizona. Hubby really wants to get a grey one. So I went on the computer and found a breeder sorta close to us. In the past, we could only find a breeder in Alabama or Arkansas. (It was one of those "A" states) So, I will probably be calling this breeder next week. We are getting some remodeling done in the next couple of months, so not sure it will be a "good" environment, but need to take the leap of faith. Not even sure when the next litter is due. Antie Roz, will keep you all posted.

A disturbing trend is starting here in California that will likely impede access to pooches everywhere. (Lots of states follow along when California legislates a controversial new law).

Proposed California law would restrict pet sales to rescue, shelter animals

Our breeder friend says he thinks the breeder lobby is strong enough to bring some balance into the debates in Sacramento but nonetheless he's still a bit nervous about it.

Has anyone else heard anything more on this subject, especially when it comes to the breeding and sale of service animals?

A disturbing trend is starting here in California that will likely impede access to pooches everywhere. (Lots of states follow along when California legislates a controversial new law).

Proposed California law would restrict pet sales to rescue, shelter animals

Our breeder friend says he thinks the breeder lobby is strong enough to bring some balance into the debates in Sacramento but nonetheless he's still a bit nervous about it.

Has anyone else heard anything more on this subject, especially when it comes to the breeding and sale of service animals?

I thought I read it just makes it so that pet shops can't use breeders, must restrict pet sales to rescues. This will affect the puppy mill breeders but not legit breeders that sell on the private market.

It sounds like a good thing. But, I could be completely wrong.

Linda and Halo

That sounds scary, Walt.

I've heard about the importation of "rescue" dogs from other countries. In many cases, they are simply puppy mill puppies by another name, just somewhere else.

Scooter is a mutt from a relative of a co-worker that neglected to have their dog spayed. A great dog. We were lucky. Next dog, however, I want to find a reputable breeder who knows the lines to get the dog from.

Laws like this might make more limits, but might not.

I'm not sure what the author meant about laws that require animals be spayed or neutered. None of those laws near me. Do communities really have the right to legislate that? That pets must be fixed? How is that justified? Good idea, yes. Required?

On the other hand, I require that pets in the homes I rent to people are fixed, but a long way from law.

I am back. Good cruise, but got a bad headcold. Just taking it easy and working on getting over the cruise. I think I got it because I have been bragging about never getting sick on cruises (this was my 14th).

Halo did great on his first sleepover and the stay with Bear and his family. I did get the big dog hug and he has been, somewhat, clingy since I have been home.

Hope everyone is doing good.

Linda and Halo

Linda, sorry about your head cold. I hope your cruise was a fun one except for the cold germ!

I'm sure Halo missed his mom ♥

Well the Chocolate Lab pup fell thru. The guy had 3 boys left when he placed the add. He had them all sold before the add even came out. :( But he did give me another contact, here in Arizona. Hubby really wants to get a grey one. So I went on the computer and found a breeder sorta close to us. In the past, we could only find a breeder in Alabama or Arkansas. (It was one of those "A" states) So, I will probably be calling this breeder next week. We are getting some remodeling done in the next couple of months, so not sure it will be a "good" environment, but need to take the leap of faith. Not even sure when the next litter is due. Antie Roz, will keep you all posted.

Any pup would be very lucky to be in your home......Good luck with the remodeling and hopefully the new baby!!!

Walt, I heard that the law will require that pet shops NOT be allowed to sell dogs from puppy mills. Encouraging the shops to sell rescue/shelter dogs/cats instead. There will be investigators who will hand out warnings and then hefty fines along with the potential of having the shop closed.

The puppy mills will be virtually non-existent. Yay, that will be good news not only for the public but for the puppies, too!!!! Private breeders will have to live up to a higher standard and be open for inspections, making sure that they're not running a "mill" of sorts.

Aww Nancy I was hoping you'd get the chocolate lab. They are my favorite! My first lab Rebel, was chocolate. But I have to say he wasn't very smart. I actuallyasked another service dog org why they didn't have chocolates and he said they weren't smart enough. I don't know if I agree with that. Here's a pic of him as a puppy.

Cindy 5091668c12b8d262eeb03ceca2c3bc18.jpg

Aww Nancy I was hoping you'd get the chocolate lab. They are my favorite! My first lab Rebel, was chocolate. But I have to say he wasn't very smart. I actuallyasked another service dog org why they didn't have chocolates and he said they weren't smart enough. I don't know if I agree with that. Here's a pic of him as a puppy.

Cindy 5091668c12b8d262eeb03ceca2c3bc18.jpg

OMG! Those eyes! A trainer at CCI said the reason they don't have Chocolate Labs is because they just haven't bred them. She said that Chocolate's are just as sharp, dedicated and loyal as other Labs.

Linda, sorry about your head cold. I hope your cruise was a fun one except for the cold germ!

I'm sure Halo missed his mom ♥

One of my cabin mates just messaged me and said she has pneumonia.

The cruise wasn't bad, but the headcold sure put a damper on it.

I have to say I am sure glad to be back home with Halo.

Linda and Halo