Cats show on the Oasis of the Sea

lorijon

It's a show which divides the audience. Some like it, for others it's not their cup of tea.

I am not a big fan of the show but I do believe it is a really good production and certainly worth seeing if for no other reason, then to satisfy your own curiosity. Reading up beforehand really helps to understand the story otherwise easy to get lost if not bored in the first half.

Personally, I believe certain types of shows don't suit cruises and this is perhaps one of them.

For those of you who have seen Cats elsewhere can you please advise as to whether you think some of the poor reviews are because of this particular version of Cats or just personal taste ?

We've booked for next Nov and I was thrilled to see Cats available since I'm a huge fan. We do a fair number of shows generally and Cats is still one of , if not my all time favorite. I've seen it twice in Toronto, and once on Broadway, and dh has seen it twice in Toronto as well. We both have loved it, but we don't wish to waste the time if this version is not so great.

Funny though in terms of personal taste....when we were originally booked on Allure which we cancelled and saw that it was MammaMia we had already decided that was a non starter because we definitely did not enjoy that show in Toronto. Although the music was ok we found the storyline to be sooooo boring and predictable yet that seems to be more popular on here.

The cast is fine the set is well done, it is just the plot is so sad and you don't feel good when you leave the show. On vacation I want to be happy,the songs are fine but you don't want to sing them on the beach. Hairspray or Mamma Mia you want to whistle those tunes.

You would think a show that played on Broadway for over 30 years would be a wonderful show, you would be wrong. You go on a cruise to be happy, upbeat and entertained. You get none of that with Cats. the show is such a downer no plot we along with many many others left at intermission, Some people didn't even wait until then, The ice show was fun upbeat and filled with joy. Not just for kids. The show Come Fly With Me was the best production show I have seen on RC.

Just did this ship last month. It was the first time seeing Cats for me. I enjoyed it very much. There was definitely a plot, and the singing was superb. Not every show is for everyone, and that is okay. Come Fly With Me was excellent, especially from out seats. I love the forward balcony area looking across the stage.

I am really hoping that they will get Wicked on one of their ships.

For those of you who have seen Cats elsewhere can you please advise as to whether you think some of the poor reviews are because of this particular version of Cats or just personal taste ?

We've booked for next Nov and I was thrilled to see Cats available since I'm a huge fan. We do a fair number of shows generally and Cats is still one of , if not my all time favorite. I've seen it twice in Toronto, and once on Broadway, and dh has seen it twice in Toronto as well. We both have loved it, but we don't wish to waste the time if this version is not so great.

Funny though in terms of personal taste....when we were originally booked on Allure which we cancelled and saw that it was MammaMia we had already decided that was a non starter because we definitely did not enjoy that show in Toronto. Although the music was ok we found the storyline to be sooooo boring and predictable yet that seems to be more popular on here.

According to my wife who saw it in the West End it is very similar, although she said the singing was even better on board.

My option (for what its worth :D) is that with Oasis 'wow' is around every corner and instant gratification is the norm. This isn't like that, I think you need to know a bit about the story beforehand and its a slow burner which rewards at the end.

Then again I'm a Brit who likes cricket that can last five days so what do I know :')

You would think a show that played on Broadway for over 30 years would be a wonderful show, you would be wrong. You go on a cruise to be happy, upbeat and entertained. You get none of that with Cats. the show is such a downer no plot we along with many many others left at intermission, Some people didn't even wait until then, The ice show was fun upbeat and filled with joy. Not just for kids. The show Come Fly With Me was the best production show I have seen on RC.

I also thought Come Fly with me was fun and entertaining. I liked it even more than Blue Planet on Allure. As for Cats, I would invite you to find my May 2016 review of Oasis including CATS. Glad I saw it once, now I know better!

I liked Cats when I have seen it in a theatre. However; the last 20minutes of the first half really is not my cup of tea.

As others have said the 2nd half is better

Looking forward to seeing when on Oasis next year.

I would argue the 2nd half is not better, just songs more people would recognize. People who like cats were probably applauding when the Emperor showed off his new clothes. ;) Ok, being intentionally snarky and running for cover .

It's a show which divides the audience. Some like it, for others it's not their cup of tea.

I am not a big fan of the show but I do believe it is a really good production and certainly worth seeing if for no other reason, then to satisfy your own curiosity. Reading up beforehand really helps to understand the story otherwise easy to get lost if not bored in the first half.

Personally, I believe certain types of shows don't suit cruises and this is perhaps one of them.

Great posts. Although even with my wife explaining to me, I was still lost by the pirate scene. My wife told me it was a pirate scence, I thought they were rats from Mars. I could summarize my feelings about Cats with this: Grisabella walks to the front of the stage and you can tell she is about to sing. 4 minutes later she starts. The song "Jellico Cats" caused the worst ear worm ever, I can now say the title without PTSD kicking inn. If we showed it to prisoners of war, the Geneva Convention would be brought up.

We saw Cats on Broadway and the couple we went with had seen it in London. We were all blown away by how good the production was. My wife went 3 times. We also went to all of the other singing engagements the cast did in the lounges (Dazzles, Jazz on 4, etc.). They are a very talented group. The people you see posting the comments are speaking to the play itself not the performance. If you look at the negative posts it usually surrounds not understanding or liking the play. I am not normally a fan of musicals (except Spamalot and Book of Mormon), and go as a conscientious objector with my wife, but I was shocked by how good it was. Where else could we sit in row 2 center stage.

This version is not a waste of time, I would go and make your own judgement. We really enjoyed all the music and did not find the plot hard to understand or depressing. The actor playing Deuteronomy on our sailing also played the role on Broadway for a while (I googled him). He was excellent and also did a session in Jazz on 4 with another of the leads. Keep an eye on the cruise compass to see if any of the leads are singing there on your sailing.

Many people left the show at intermission on our sailing, probably about half, but our show was around 5pm, so not sure if they left because of dinner or because they didn't like the show.

It is funny you mention Mamma Mia, we just saw that on Allure in May. I only went because my DH really wanted to see it. I did end up enjoying myself, but I could have easily skipped it.

People really get dramatic about CATS on these boards. I am glad I went and I would go again if we book Oasis again.

I think it's personal taste/a shift in what most people want out of musicals. The cast was superb and did extremely well when we saw it, I just think that popular opinion has shifted in favor of jukebox musicals (Mamma Mia, Jersey Boys, or We Will Rock You for instance) or movies adapted from more modern pop culture sources (The Lion King, Shrek, Spamalot), or more edgy original material (Avenue Q, The Book of Mormon, Urinetown).

I would argue the 2nd half is not better, just songs more people would recognize. People who like cats were probably applauding when the Emperor showed off his new clothes. ;) Ok, being intentionally snarky and running for cover .

No...it really is better.

I'm sure it will be better than Grease on Harmony which I thought was awful

How is it anyone's loss? That is the thing about art. It doesn't matter if it is a painting, music, or a show. Some people will like it and some will not. I could like a song that you can't stand. That doesn't make it your loss. It just means we have different tastes.

Right? Exactly. Just like when I cried my eyes out when watching the sand artist in the ice show some years ago on Oasis. Others probably rolled their eyes. I thought it was phenomenal. :D

~

I haven't seen Cats so cannot comment to that, but I do understand how some would leave at intermission if they weren't enjoying the show. I do get it.

Right? Exactly. Just like when I cried my eyes out when watching the sand artist in the ice show some years ago on Oasis. Others probably rolled their eyes. I thought it was phenomenal. :D

~

I haven't seen Cats so cannot comment to that, but I do understand how some would leave at intermission if they weren't enjoying the show. I do get it.

If we had been on the same sailing we could have shared a box of tissue.;)

Cant see these 3 ending up on a ship.

Never laughed so much when went to see Book of Mormon.

Couple in front of us walked out after first song...expensive night :D

I can not imagine the cruisecritic posts or Guest Service line if they did Book of Mormon. Like you, I laughed so hard I cried, but ohhh the complaints that play would generate.

I believe it is a matter of personal taste. The quality of the show was excellent IMO and I have seen the original in the West End (London).

I also saw Mama Mia on Allure recently and thought it was really good.

I can not imagine the cruisecritic posts or Guest Service line if they did Book of Mormon. Like you, I laughed so hard I cried, but ohhh the complaints that play would generate.

I had to google it to figure out what you meant, but I get it.

I believe it is a matter of personal taste. The quality of the show was excellent IMO and I have seen the original in the West End (London).

I also saw Mama Mia on Allure recently and thought it was really good.

I too thought the dancing, costumes, and singing were spectacular, for at least 60 minutes. Then, because I was sitting in row five, my wife's choice, I had severe facial cramps from fighting back yawns. I didn't want the cast to see my yawning. It was just too long and drawn out. I'm a big Sci-fi fan and I just got back from Bladerunner 2049 and thought it too was really drawn out. Usually you see a movie you like and can't wait for the Director's cut. For this movie, I'd like the abbreviated version better.

I've seen Cats on and off Broadway so I knew what to expect on Oasis and did not plan on going to a performance. While I love the music, it is a long performance and gets very slow at times. And it always makes me cry which is not what I want on my cruise vacation.:rolleyes: But I just happened to be outside the theater during an afternoon performance so decided to watch a little.

The staging and performance was excellent but I thought it was sad for the performers as there were so few people in the audience, the theater was almost empty.

I've always wondered what Royal was thinking when they chose Cats?:rolleyes:

Sherri:)

I've always wondered what Royal was thinking when they chose Cats?:rolleyes:

Sherri:)

If they didn't, I never would have seen it. I probably spent $200 or more on tickets for my wife and daughter. At least I can say I've seen it. Had I paid money to see this in a land theater, I would have felt worse, but at least I spent more time with my wife. If we went back on Oasis again, and she wanted to see it, She would have to go alone.

If they didn't, I never would have seen it. I probably spent $200 or more on tickets for my wife and daughter. At least I can say I've seen it. Had I paid money to see this in a land theater, I would have felt worse, but at least I spent more time with my wife. If we went back on Oasis again, and she wanted to see it, She would have to go alone.

When I wandered in to see it, my husband “wandered” in a different direction.:D He had seen it with me several years ago and has always said it was the most miserable 2plus hours he has ever spent in a theater. I believe he has also used the word excruciating to describe Cats.:')

Sherri