Do either of the companies that rent scooters in Miami have before boarding pickup?

A friend and I are on the Vista out of Miami and need to rent two scooters. I had heard that one of the companies had a kiosk set up to pick up your scooter before boarding. Anyone know if that is still true?

and before the blazing begins, yes we have an accessible cabin - my friend is renting for the first time as her pulmonologist has ordered her to have an oxygen concentrator at all times so carrying her business will become a problem at boarding. Luckily we are traveling with others who can help, but easy boarding would be great!

A friend and I are on the Vista out of Miami and need to rent two scooters. I had heard that one of the companies had a kiosk set up to pick up your scooter before boarding. Anyone know if that is still true?

and before the blazing begins, yes we have an accessible cabin - my friend is renting for the first time as her pulmonologist has ordered her to have an oxygen concentrator at all times so carrying her business will become a problem at boarding. Luckily we are traveling with others who can help, but easy boarding would be great!

I can't help with that question, although I do know that you can elect to have the scooters delivered to your hotel rather than the ship, if that helps.

If you aren't able to get it prior to boarding, most lines offer boarding wheelchair assistance, so there will be additional help to be had.

Have a great cruise.

You're best to just contact the companies directly and ask that question. CareVactions used to have kiosks at a couple ports prior to Scooteraround acquiring them. SpecialNeedsatSeas also use to have kiosks a selected ports a few years ago but don't know which ports .

Both companies will deliver to the hotel if a pre-cruise stay is planned., If this is case your will have to arrange transportation to the port but that shouldn't be an issue as Miami does have accessible cabs

You're best to just contact the companies directly and ask that question. CareVactions used to have kiosks at a couple ports prior to Scooteraround acquiring them. SpecialNeedsatSeas also use to have kiosks a selected ports a few years ago but don't know which ports .

Both companies will deliver to the hotel if a pre-cruise stay is planned., If this is case your will have to arrange transportation to the port but that shouldn't be an issue as Miami does have accessible cabs

I have contacted both companies, but have not received any replies - guess I need to call them. I was just hoping the kiosks were still there. I usually have my own scooter when sailing out of my own home port, but I am not taking it to Miami - too many transportation hassles. We are flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before so transportation was too difficult to arrange for our group. (too many of us for an accessible ride)

Not sure about in Miami but we are using Scootaround in Vancouver and they are delivering to our hotel the day before out cruise, no additional cost. I just gave them a call with our reservation number and they changed it for us.

I have contacted both companies, but have not received any replies - guess I need to call them. I was just hoping the kiosks were still there. I usually have my own scooter when sailing out of my own home port, but I am not taking it to Miami - too many transportation hassles. We are flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before so transportation was too difficult to arrange for our group. (too many of us for an accessible ride)

It's always best to phone and not email as you'll get a faster response. Neither company is high pressure. Have always found them to quite helpful any time I've phone.

• 4 months later...

Hubby and I rented scooters yesterday from Special Needs at Sea for our Allure Cruise in April 2018. ( Out of Ft. Lauderdale ) We were told that they now have them available PRIOR to check in at the Kiosk in the Terminal area. This we are hoping will be a vast improvement over :) having to wait to get them in our Stateroom!

We are on the Norwegian escape right now and rented from Special Needs at Sea. This is out of Miami. The device was available in the terminal so we had it before boarding. You need to call your rental company and ask their procedure for your port. I also understand your equipment can be delivered to your hotel but you'll have to get it to the ship.

Wish they all did - been on so many cruises where people in rental scooters have no clue how to use them and run into people or hit tables/chairs. Let people have some practice time in more open space than starting from scratch in the tight hallways/rooms on the ships.

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, calico cruiser said:

Special Needs at Sea has a list of kiosk on their website. There is one in Ft Lauderdale.  Wish there was one in San Francisco.  son was there I. December and saw it at the pier. I would call, they are very helpful.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  You may wish to note the dates of the posts you are replying to.   I doubt if in this case, they will reply, as it was 2 years ago Oct ‘17. 

13 hours ago, calico cruiser said:

Special Needs at Sea has a list of kiosk on their website. There is one in Ft Lauderdale.  Wish there was one in San Francisco.  son was there I. December and saw it at the pier. I would call, they are very helpful.

I sure can't find it on their website.

Thank you - I found some other condensed listings:

"Special Needs Group is pleased to be able to provide Kiosk service to the following ports with respective cruiselines and/or specific ships:

·  Fort Lauderdale – Holland America, located curb-side prior to entering the cruiseline’s terminal;

·  New York – Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Gem, located inside the NCL terminal prior to going through security.

·  Miami – Norwegian Escape and Norwegian Getaway, located inside Norwegian’s Terminal B;

·  Seattle – Holland America and select Princess ships, located curb-sized prior to entering the terminal(s)

Guests are able to pick-up prior to embarking and drop-off upon disembarking their mobility equipment at the available Kiosks. All other equipment is delivered to the cabin."