Let's talk about motion sickness

lesey

We are going on our first cruise in November, we've always want to try. Small speed boats, pontoons, fishing boats, small ferries etc do not make me ill. However, I was sea sick on two large tour ferries, one of them being the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. I've been told several time that people don't feel sea sick on big cruise ships because of stabilizers. What do you guys think, what advice have you gotten?

Looking forward to chatting with you thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seasick on the ferry to Newfoundland.....

NEVER EVER sick on a cruise!! Its a whole different experience. I wouldn't stress it, and if you do start to feel a bit nauseous just GET OUTSIDE (the promenade deck is great) and look at that horizon and breathe deeply!

We are going on our first cruise in November, we've always want to try. Small speed boats, pontoons, fishing boats, small ferries etc do not make me ill. However, I was sea sick on two large tour ferries, one of them being the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. I've been told several time that people don't feel sea sick on big cruise ships because of stabilizers. What do you guys think, what advice have you gotten?

Looking forward to chatting with you thanks,

Here we go again.....

This is the third thread within a week on the same subject.

Links to earlier threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2536048

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2506026

Here we go again.....

This is the third thread within a week on the same subject.

Links to earlier threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2536048

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2506026

So sorry for the annoyance. I'm new to CC, and it's my second time posting. I should have realized this must be a popular question in first time cruising. I was just was looking for someone to chat with it currently.

Seasick on the ferry to Newfoundland.....

NEVER EVER sick on a cruise!! Its a whole different experience. I wouldn't stress it, and if you do start to feel a bit nauseous just GET OUTSIDE (the promenade deck is great) and look at that horizon and breathe deeply!

Thanks so much for your positive words! This gives me hope.

I'm Canadian and one day we will definitely tour the east coast of this beautiful country, can't wait to see Newfoundland

Thanks so much for your positive words! This gives me hope.

I'm Canadian and one day we will definitely tour the east coast of this beautiful country, can't wait to see Newfoundland

I always get sick on cruises and pack Bonine .However, I have yet to get sick on ferries.

I always take non drowsy Dramamine to fly, go on a ferry and sometimes in a car. I always get sick on the ferry to Catalina Island, sick when whale watching in Monterey, Ca, and had sea bands and had taken Dramamine. I took a Carnival cruise to Mexico years ago, again did the meds, and only got sick when we hit a storm, 20+ foot waves. I was told many crew and guests were sick and missed dinner that night. Hoping with Allure being larger and hopefully no storms I'll be fine on my next cruise. Take meds, ginger pills, drink ginger ale if you feel 'off'. I take Dramamine the day before and through my cruise. My cousin who gets motion sick went on the Allure just recently and had no issues at all.

So sorry for the annoyance. I'm new to CC, and it's my second time posting. I should have realized this must be a popular question in first time cruising. I was just was looking for someone to chat with it currently.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I guess you will less likely to have motion sickness on a cruise ship than your previous ferry ride. But just in case, you may well consult your physician for your medication.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry if it sounded like I was annoyed. I actually had a smile on my face when I posted that. I was just heading you into the threads that already have a lot of information on them.

Keep on chatting. I'm sure you'll have other questions.

I agree with the thought about talking to your doctor about whether you might need any actual (prescription) medications, or if over the counter meds may work for you.

My husband (who has gotten motion sickness since he was a kid on all manner of transport) started with the transderm scop patch (prescription) for our first few cruises, but it seems his body has learned that being onboard a cruise ship isn't all that bad, and now uses sea bands for really rocky seas.

I have absolutely no issues with sea sickness (and believe me, we've been on a couple of really rocky seas), so I have no experience with what's available out there.

All of this varies by person and by cruise.

Some people are more prone to sea sickness then other people.

On the same voyages one could have rough sea swells and the other one be perfectly calm.

My advice is always to hope for the best but to prepare for the worst.

For those who are concerned about getting sea sick I recommend a room that is more mid ship and on a lower deck.

And for all cruisers I recommend coming prepared with items that can help prevent sea sickness.

Keith

It is my non-statistical, but credible, observation that most people do not get seasick with normal cruising conditions - and by "normal" I mean a fair amount of rolling and pitching.

If you look around the Lido or dining room on days when there is significant motion, the crowds are rarely thinned.

Even when there is very rough going there are plenty of people who seem to have no problem. I am inclined to think that the "problem" has been overblown by posters on these threads - and a lot of people may be talking themselves into having a problem which they might not have. Fresh air, sensible eating, minimal alcohol (until you know your reactions), and helping your equilibrium adjust - looking at the horizon helps.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

You aren't alone in worrying about being seasick on your first cruise ship.

It's so very likely you will not be!

While we've never been sick on a ferry ride (Cape May Ferry which gets very rough at times), many do who have never been sick on cruise ships.

Enjoy your cruise! :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I totally understand what you mean! Before my first cruise (1995) I went to my Doctor and got meds for seasickness, nausea and diarrhea. I never used any of them! Our first cruise was on a small ship too!

I've never gotten seasick. With that said, I get motion sick on anything that spins in a circle and playing video games.

Hope that helps! Enjoy your cruise! Watch out, they're addicting!

Karen

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I have an issue with motion sickness. I have literally gotten sick on a waterbed in the showroom of a furniture store. Can't ride in the back seat of a car for very long, etc. I use Bonine and take one the first day on the ship. If all goes well from there, meaning no rough seas, I don't need to take another one for the rest of the cruise. Bonine is a brand name, similar to Dramamine, but less drowsy. These ships are so big, even the small ones, that it's almost like being on dry land, unless you hit really rough seas. I also take some ginger candy with me to help keep nausea at bay, if needed, until Bonine or Dramamine can kick in. Everyone is different, but this has worked for me. I love cruising so I don't want to let my motion sickness stop me! Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dont worry about the Negative ppl on here they just being asses lol .... anyways this will be my first cruise as well , alot of ppl told me to get motion sickness patches, which u can order them online off of amazon . just put a patch behind your ear before u board the ship , they say they last for about 3 days . I am also cruising in Nov as well . Nov 25th to be exact .

...get motion sickness patches, which u can order them online off of amazon . just put a patch behind your ear before u board the ship , they say they last for about 3 days . .. .

Umm.... no. The transderm Scop patch is by prescription only (generally the patch that most people refer to when talking about motion sickness). Can't order it from Amazon.

Now, if you're referring the the patch that's just herbal ingredients - that's on Amazon.

I just got off the Carnival Victory on Friday. It was my second cruise on the

Victory and both times I didn't get sick. I got sick on the Carnival Fascination to the Bahamas and the Princess ship to Alaska. I get extremely car sick. I cannot ride in the back seat and very often I can't even be a passenger.

On my first Victory trip I had a prescription for the "patch" - the Transderm scop. I loved it because I never got sick with all the motion of not only the ship but also the travel of excursions. It made me thirsty and made my pupils HUGE, but that was it for side effects. However, a few months later I used it for a harbor cruise in DC and the side effects were so bad that I was never going to try it again. Pounding headache, unbelievable thirst, and paralyzing nausea.

So this time I got a prescription for Meclizine and Phenegran from my dr. but I didn't use those scripts. Instead. I ended up doing this with much success:

I started taking the dramamine GINGER on Thursday (we had a 7:30 am flight on Monday.) This dramamine is the researched, clinical dosage of ginger - it's not like candy or something where you are guessing at how much you need. I took it every night at bedtime.

I used the sea bands (yes a lot of what I read stated they aren't clinically proven, but I thought it couldn't hurt.)

I bought "Motion Eaze" - an oil that goes behind the ears - that I found at CVS and it was over the counter. I really liked this and used it often, especially when the ship set sail at a time far away from my 24-hour dosage of dramamine.

I bought the less drowsy 24 hour dramamine which is meclizine - turns out it was double the dose from what my dr prescribed! I took the less drowsy at 3:30 pm when our ship was scheduled to leave at 4 and continued to take it at 24 hour intervals or later if the ship had a later sail time. I rode in the BACK SEAT of the taxi in Cozumel, buses in Key West and the Everglades, as well as the air boat in the Everglades with no problem!!!

None of this gave me any side effects and I was never sick.

Let me say I have 20 years in clinical research and a Master's degree that taught me to research everything to infinity. LOL! Which I researched this heavily and this worked for me.

Good luck to you because being sea sick is a miserable feeling!! I hope you will have a wonderful trip!

Umm.... no. The transderm Scop patch is by prescription only (generally the patch that most people refer to when talking about motion sickness). Can't order it from Amazon.

Now, if you're referring the the patch that's just herbal ingredients - that's on Amazon.

Yes i am referring to the herbal ones ..... i know you cant get PRESCRIPTION ones online lmao

We are on our first cruise next march and we are interested in these sea bands . What is it that they do to help. We are in the aft two bedroom suite will looking out the back cause any issues like the old days of station wagons with the rear seat facing out . Yes I am old to remember those cars

We are on our first cruise next march and we are interested in these sea bands . What is it that they do to help. We are in the aft two bedroom suite will looking out the back cause any issues like the old days of station wagons with the rear seat facing out . Yes I am old to remember those cars

Aft cabins are the best!!! Highly soughtafter and hard to get lately! You'll love it! I don't get motion sick on the back and I did in those lovely rear-facing station wagons!

I believe sea bands work like acupressure. They have small plastic studs that apply pressure on your wrist.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app