Help Me Pick My Shoes!

betty barnacle

I am getting this dress for an upcoming cruise and am thinking of getting these shoes.... I'm wondering if the shoes have too much "bling" to add to the sequin gown. Do you think the velvet helps balance the look or should I stick with a basic, but beautiful, pair of black or nude pumps? What say you, beautiful cruisers?

Beautiful dress/gown and the shoes are lovely, this is only my opinion, you'd not be able to see the beauty of that particular shoe with a long dress. You asked, hope this helps.

Excellent point. Thank you and I am taking that into consideration. I guess they could be a little surprise peeking out every now and then while walking, but that would not help me to enjoy them since I would not be able to see them. I need long gowns because my ankles tend to swell in tropical climates so they help hide the cankles. I guess I am a sucker for a pretty shoe, but I do need to face the reality that they often don't look that pretty on me once the swelling kicks in. I'm so torn.... ;)

Both beautiful. I'd wear the shoes (if I could still wear heels) with a short flirty hem dress to really show them off! Love the dress but it'd be too warm for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gorgeous dress!

The shoes are gorgeous too, but perhaps not with that dress? Are you very comfortable in high heels for an entire evening? I would also worry about the sequins on the back of the shoes possibly catching on the hem of the dress, pulling the fabric and spoiling it, or even tripping you up. Not worth the risk as the shoes won't be that visible.

I would suggest a pretty mid heeled sandal in perhaps gold or silver, to peep prettily from the the hem of the dress? A wedge heeled court could be more flattering than a ballerina pump, but I would go for a dark colour or metallic look, rather than nude.

If you are tempted by the shoes, treat yourself to a shorter dress, or ballerina length, to show them off!

Both beautiful. I'd wear the shoes (if I could still wear heels) with a short flirty hem dress to really show them off! Love the dress but it'd be too warm for me.

Thank you for the suggestion. I love over-the-top heels, but mostly in colder climates (ankle swelling) so maybe I'll go ahead and buy them for a future land based event where edema doesn't seem to be an issue and could wear a shorter dress, or even ankle pants, where you could see the shoes. With a great coat over the top for trips between buildings and vehicles! Thanks for keeping me real!

Edited by betty barnacle

Gorgeous dress!

The shoes are gorgeous too, but perhaps not with that dress? Are you very comfortable in high heels for an entire evening? I would also worry about the sequins on the back of the shoes possibly catching on the hem of the dress, pulling the fabric and spoiling it, or even tripping you up. Not worth the risk as the shoes won't be that visible.

I would suggest a pretty mid heeled sandal in perhaps gold or silver, to peep prettily from the the hem of the dress? A wedge heeled court could be more flattering than a ballerina pump, but I would go for a dark colour or metallic look, rather than nude.

If you are tempted by the shoes, treat yourself to a shorter dress, or ballerina length, to show them off!

I'm actually more comfortable in heels than flats. Great point about the ornament possibly catching the hem, I thought about that myself so you validated that concern. Thanks for "voting" on whether I should wear dark heels or nude. I love the look of black with navy blue, but also love the elongating look of nude heels. I think you are right, dark would be better in this case. Thanks!

Those shoes are too much for that dress. You've got a "bling" dress, so I'd go for plain shoes. Not nude though.

Thank you -- it seems everyone is in agreement so far with dark shoes and that these ornamental shoes might be wasted on the long, floor length gown. Thank you so much for taking the time to help!

Beautiful dress/gown and the shoes are lovely, this is only my opinion, you'd not be able to see the beauty of that particular shoe with a long dress. You asked, hope this helps.

Excellent point. Thank you and I am taking that into consideration. I guess they could be a little surprise peeking out every now and then while walking, but that would not help me to enjoy them since I would not be able to see them. I need long gowns because my ankles tend to swell in tropical climates so they help hide the cankles. I guess I am a sucker for a pretty shoe, but I do need to face the reality that they often don't look that pretty on me once the swelling kicks in. I'm so torn.... ;)

Those are beautiful shoes but I would prefer the bling on the front of the shoes and then you could see it. There's a pair of Badgley Mischka and a pair of Nina that have the bling on the front of the shoes on that site. Don't know how to link like you did.:o

Those are beautiful shoes but I would prefer the bling on the front of the shoes and then you could see it. There's a pair of Badgley Mischka and a pair of Nina that have the bling on the front of the shoes on that site. Don't know how to link like you did.:o

Thank you! I found a pair of the Nina's like you suggested and they are gorgeous. Plus, several inches lower which my husband would actually appreciate....;p Officially added to my option list. You're awesome!

What a beautiful dress! I could see where you would be attracted to shoes with the details on the backs because of the slit in the back of that dress...however, I would agree with the worry of the dress catching on the backs of those shoes... Really like the idea of a peep toe though...I think that you need to have a flash of skin on the bottom of that dress to counterbalance all that coverage. I don't love the black shoes that the model is wearing...did someone suggest a metallic shoe? A matte metallic would be lovely...depending on your skin tone and what would be best for you and the undertone of the navy IRL...I would check out a deeper pewter or bronze...something that would not be as contrasting to your skin as a dark shoe but something that would have a bit more color than a typical nude color.

What a beautiful dress! I could see where you would be attracted to shoes with the details on the backs because of the slit in the back of that dress...however, I would agree with the worry of the dress catching on the backs of those shoes... Really like the idea of a peep toe though...I think that you need to have a flash of skin on the bottom of that dress to counterbalance all that coverage. I don't love the black shoes that the model is wearing...did someone suggest a metallic shoe? A matte metallic would be lovely...depending on your skin tone and what would be best for you and the undertone of the navy IRL...I would check out a deeper pewter or bronze...something that would not be as contrasting to your skin as a dark shoe but something that would have a bit more color than a typical nude color.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful suggestions! It just so happens I have a strappy pair of heels in a goldish/pewterish tone with very subtle tiny rhinestones. They match my skin tone so don't break up the leg line at my ankle or foot - perhaps I already have the perfect shoe sitting in my closet...:D

• 4 weeks later...
I am getting this dress for an upcoming cruise and am thinking of getting these shoes.... I'm wondering if the shoes have too much "bling" to add to the sequin gown. Do you think the velvet helps balance the look or should I stick with a basic, but beautiful, pair of black or nude pumps? What say you, beautiful cruisers?

Lovely dress; however, I would never pay that much ... unless it would be useful for other occasions.

I'm practical: given that it's long and the shoes won't show too much anyway, I'd opt for something that's already in my closet ... and/or I'd be sure that the shoes would match a couple other things that I'd wear on the cruise. For this dress, yes to dark, no to nude.

I absolutely love those shoes, but for that dress I would go with a strappy sandal. I'm wondering if you tried on the shoes with the dress, will the bling on the back of the shoe would get caught on the bottom of the dress. I would wear those shoes with a cocktail dress though, for sure.