Roatan, Honduras

Royal docks at Coxen Hole...always.

I have no idea if Royal customers can access Mahogany Bay facilities.

Having been to both locations, we always flee the manmade beach and other facilities at Mahogany Bay for the wonderful. natural beaches in West Bay.

Having been to both locations, we always flee the manmade beach and other facilities at Mahogany Bay for the wonderful. natural beaches in West Bay.

Could you recommend a great beach that has great snorkeling? Thank you ever so much!

Could you recommend a great beach that has great snorkeling? Thank you ever so much!

The beach mentioned, West Bay Beach has abundant opportunities for snorkeling....and for sensory overload search for Roatan snorkeling on You Tube.

Can anyone recommend a beach not littered with those blow up courses?

We've been to Roatan many times. Tabyana is, by far, the best snorkeling right off the beach. It is a short swim out to the reef wall (the first time you go out, it is best to hire a guide. There are shallow areas.)

They have one blow up water slide, but it really isn't a problem. The worst thing are the vendors, but just politely say no thank you, and they leave. The vendors aren't supposed to be in the area, and there are security guards on the beach.

As others have said ... Coxen Hole is where you'll be docked so you absolutely will need to take some sort of excursion or transportation to get to a beach.

Tabyana has easy snorkeling off the beach.

Another option is to take catamaran sail to snorkel. Amazing snorkeling and LOTS of fun.(y)

Why would you want to go to the crappy cruise port beach when you can take a cab to WestBay Beach which is fantastic? Mahogany Bay was built by Carnival so passengers would spend all their Money with the cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mahogany Bay was our favorite stop! We did the zip lining tour and were spoiled forever. All the beach tours were rained out the day we were there, but up in the mountains it was beautiful and sunny! And the rum....oh the rum!

Does this have to be an excursion or can you take a taxi and just show up and enjoy? Do they have good restaurants in the area?

No need for an excursion...just negotiate a taxi for all day. We usually pay $25pp for 4 people, the driver hangs around the cab while we are enjoying our activities and then we have no problem getting back to the ship.

As for Tabyana beach...somewhat of a misnomer (imo). Use google earth, search for West Bay Beach, Roatan. The beach is long,white and clean...it is all public...it is lined with resorts, one of which is Tabyana, another is Bananarama, and there are more. We just taxi to West Bay Beach, walk up/down the beach till we find something we like and park ourselves for the day. We like to find beach chairs with a little shade and access to food and rest rooms...usually we find something for $10.pp .

No need for an excursion...just negotiate a taxi for all day. We usually pay $25pp for 4 people, the driver hangs around the cab while we are enjoying our activities and then we have no problem getting back to the ship.

As for Tabyana beach...somewhat of a misnomer (imo). Use google earth, search for West Bay Beach, Roatan. The beach is long,white and clean...it is all public...it is lined with resorts, one of which is Tabyana, another is Bananarama, and there are more. We just taxi to West Bay Beach, walk up/down the beach till we find something we like and park ourselves for the day. We like to find beach chairs with a little shade and access to food and rest rooms...usually we find something for $10.pp .

Very cool! This is what I was looking for. Thank you kindly!

I would also recommend Fantasy Island for great snorkeling. It's a beach resort/hotel with a pool and poolside bar, a lovely beach and great snorkeling. They also have an adjacent nature reserve where the local monkeys will make fast friends - particularly if you have food in your hand! We loved our time there! Roatan is one of our favorite ports - perhaps our very favorite on the western itineraries.

Bananarama is very nice. Restroom and changing areas, great bar with food and the beach out front. We also hired a guy right off the beach to take us to Snorkel on his boat on the reef that is a few hundred yards out. Great Snorkel.

Try the Monkey LaLa at the bar.

They have a website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 7 months later...

I can't find out major differences between All-In-One Tour and Accessible Roatan in the Roatan excursions offered by Royal Caribbean. Anyone have any information that could help us decide? Thank you.

We've been to Maya Key (an excursion offered through the cruise companies) and we'll probably be going to Little French Key (private beach booked separately) when we go on the Allure in August (although, I'm a little lukewarm on how they treat their animals there). Maya Key also has snorkeling nearby.

Same here we go through Island Marketing for $33 pp to take us to West Bay Beach - includes the cab, chairs, entrance to the beach and 2 beers, so very good value. We did it the first time we were in Roatan and are taking the same excursion off Allure in Dec.

Try Tabyana beach at West Bay. Beautiful snorkeling.

This one you can only go to on a Royal Excursion -way cheaper to do Island Marketing. you go to the exact same beach just a little further down. We snorkeled there also and it was really good.

Bananarama is very nice. Restroom and changing areas, great bar with food and the beach out front. We also hired a guy right off the beach to take us to Snorkel on his boat on the reef that is a few hundred yards out. Great Snorkel.

Try the Monkey LaLa at the bar.

They have a website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is where we go with Island Marketing! Awesome beach and facilities.

We've been to Maya Key (an excursion offered through the cruise companies) and we'll probably be going to Little French Key (private beach booked separately) when we go on the Allure in August (although, I'm a little lukewarm on how they treat their animals there). Maya Key also has snorkeling nearby.
We have done Maya Key in past and will be going there again this July. Good for family and great snorkel just offshore.

Steven

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

How far is West Bay from Coxen Hole?

We were there last week. The road is a mess. They are fixing all the pot holes at once. It took us about 40 minutes to get from Coxen Hole to the Mayan Princess.