Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:47 PM.
21,993 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by JMorris271
I am pretty sure ta a glass of wine has more tan 1.5 oz. of wine in it?
The guidelines actually define one alcoholic drink as follows:

One alcoholic drink-equivalent is described as containing 14 g (0.6 fl oz) of pure alcohol. The following are reference beverages that are one alcoholic drink-equivalent: 12 fluid ounces of regular beer (5% alcohol), 5 fluid ounces of wine (12% alcohol), or 1.5 fluid ounces of 80 proof distilled spirits (40% alcohol).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wherever the wind takes me I travel as a visitor. (Horace)
1,576 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
The issue here of course, is that the guidelines have no basis in fact. Having lived in Spain for several years, I can vouch for the fact that if the guidelines had any resemblance to reality, every Spaniard woukd be dead by the age of 30!
New evidence now suggest that moderate drinkers live longer than teetotalers. Just off to open my first bottle of wine for the day!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app
Las Vegas
12,129 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by K32682
Of course I drink more. 3 oz. a day on a cruise? That wouldn't take me past breakfast.
How much alcohol is there in a Bloody Mary?

DON
Utah
9,700 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by miamianchor
Is it just me, or do cruisers drink more because the hard liquor has a lower alcohol content than the stuff we're used to ?
Welcome to CC. What "proof" are you basing your comment on?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 2019 Cruise:

March 2019 Cruise:

September 2019 Cruise:

March 2020 Cruise:

March 2020 Cruise:

Chicago
314 Posts
Joined May 2014
Originally posted by davekathy
I too would be interested in the legitimacy of the claim
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
OH
1,110 Posts
Joined May 2017
When I go out on the weekend, I like to have a good amount of drinks. On the cruise ship, it varies from day to day. Buying an expensive drink package, and forcing them down to feel like I got my monies' worth is a waste to me.
Minnesota
554 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Is it just me, or do cruisers drink more because the hard liquor has a lower alcohol content than the stuff we're used to ?
Where's the 'hook-line-and-sinker' meme. What ever, quite the first post.
Las Vegas
12,129 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by champagne123
1 to 1 1/2 ounces of vodka.
I guess that my breakfast Bloody Mary is around 50% of my alcohol for the day. LOL!!!

DON`
South Carolina
450 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by George C
If you have rccl drink package you can get doubles
Holland America has Happy Hour 2 for 1 from 4 til 5. Wine 2 for 1 from 5 till 6
Happy Hour 2 for 1 from 10 till 11 pm.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Holland America Konningsdam 14 day Norway's Fjords July 8-22, 2018
RCL Independence 12 Day Canary Islands 6/2017
MSC Davidina 8 Day Eastern Carib. 9/10/2016
Costa Diadema 7 Day Western Med. 5 /16,2016
NCL Pearl 10 Day Panama Canal Dec 21 ,2015
Celebrity Reflection...12 Day..Eastern Med. 6/15
Princess Coral...10 day Alaska Cruise/Tour 5/2014
Viking Danube... Heart of Europe....5/2012

Viking Sun ...... 14 Day River Cruise in China, 6/2005
Carnival Glory... 7 Day Western Carib,
NCL Majesty...... 7 Day Southern Carib,
Constitution........10 Day Trans Atlantic,
Carnival Fantasy...3 day.Bermuda
NCL ..Dawn. ....... Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy....Bermuda 8/10
Carnival Fantasy.....Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Pride....... Western Carib
Carnival Ecstasy... Western Carib 6/02
NCL Majesty..........Southern Carib 5/2001
NCL Sky.................Southern Carib
RCL.. Jewel of the Sea's...Southern Carib
Celebrity Millennium 15 day Japan 4/13/19
Dallas, Texas
10,179 Posts
Joined May 2003
Originally posted by champagne123
Light weight
We have same routine every Sunday have 3 or so bloody Mary’s each with about 3 oz of Smirnoff then order pizza and open a nice bottle of Chianti.
2 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
Originally posted by davekathy
Some friends and I did a taste test using Ketel One vodka purchased on the ship and the same from a bottle smuggled onboard. The bar tender showed us their bottle and it said 80-proof (40% alcohol), but clearly we all could taste the difference. The bottle from home was clearly stronger. We also noticed that we could drink all day and night and would only get a moderate buzz. As one guy put it, "there is no way I can drink five martini's."
Finally the bartender confessed that the alcohol content is lower. It's manufactured that way for sale to bars offering all-inclusives, ladies night specials, two for one drinks, etc. He said they buy that because if they didn't, cruisers, particularly those with booze packages would drink way too much, which of course could lead to everything from alcohol poisoning to fights, etc. He said the only thing that isn't lower alcohol was beer and wine.
Chicago
314 Posts
Joined May 2014
Some friends and I did a taste test using Ketel One vodka purchased on the ship and the same from a bottle smuggled onboard. The bar tender showed us their bottle and it said 80-proof (40% alcohol), but clearly we all could taste the difference. The bottle from home was clearly stronger. We also noticed that we could drink all day and night and would only get a moderate buzz. As one guy put it, "there is no way I can drink five martini's."
Finally the bartender confessed that the alcohol content is lower. It's manufactured that way for sale to bars offering all-inclusives, ladies night specials, two for one drinks, etc. He said they buy that because if they didn't, cruisers, particularly those with booze packages would drink way too much, which of course could lead to everything from alcohol poisoning to fights, etc. He said the only thing that isn't lower alcohol was beer and wine.
I think that bartender was pulling your leg. Many of these cruise lines are based in the US and the penalties would simply not be the risk based on the laws. Also, it's highly unlikely Kettle One is making separate patches of lower proof alcohol yet marking it as higher proof alcohol.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laredo, TX
421 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Some friends and I did a taste test using Ketel One vodka purchased on the ship and the same from a bottle smuggled onboard. The bar tender showed us their bottle and it said 80-proof (40% alcohol), but clearly we all could taste the difference. The bottle from home was clearly stronger.
This likely has more to do with the quality of the spirit rather than the alcohol content.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Utah
9,700 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Not buying it! What cruise line was this on? If anything it appears the bartender was pouring light shots. You should have stuck with the "smuggled" vodka.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 2019 Cruise:

March 2019 Cruise:

September 2019 Cruise:

March 2020 Cruise:

March 2020 Cruise:

North West NJ
6,003 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Hogwash.