Packing rum runners

We have had drink packages thrown in our last several cruises.

Looks like we are booking the Anthem & going to have to pay for drinks/package--BOO!

I have some clear rum runner bags from years past.

Is it still possible to pack those in the bags we check at the port? Or has the technology to check bags improved so much that they will confiscate it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Shampoo and conditioner bottles, buy the resealing caps off amazon. Fill them to the top, top off with a tiny bit of water if necessary. Put the seal on them and cap tight. If they take them out for visual inspection it wont sound like there full of liquor cause there will be very very little air inside if they go to shake them. 

Pack them in your checked luggage w/ your toiletries...  Also bring your allotted wine and or sodas, check your cruise line's restrictions. 

• Like 1

have read where some have resealed( with glue?) mouthwash bottles. don't know if it works. we will be sailing for 8 days. do not  think 2 of us would drink enough alcohol to equal the amount of a beverage package. $ 816 and thats with the pre-sail discount.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They worked for me too. If you use them split them up among your luggage, so if one gets seen, the others may not be noticed.  Don't put them with clothes or they will be seen. Put in with other liquids or tooth paste bags and they likely will not be seen. We put them in our toiletry bags and in our snorkeling fins.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 8:08 PM, KKB said:

We have had drink packages thrown in our last several cruises.

Looks like we are booking the Anthem & going to have to pay for drinks/package--BOO!

I have some clear rum runner bags from years past.

Is it still possible to pack those in the bags we check at the port? Or has the technology to check bags improved so much that they will confiscate it?

I pack them down by the base of luggage, top, and in the middle usually in pant legs. I have never had a problem. its nice when youre in the room and don't have to go to the bar. we don't take too much, but have in the past 

True story.   We were boarding in San Pedro.   The family in front of us went through security and scanner.   One gentleman beeped and was pulled aside.   He was wearing cargo shorts...the kind with multiple pockets.   He had two pints in different pockets.   Only reason he beeped and got caught was he forgot to take his keys out of his pockets.  His pints were confiscated.    We were next and I had a half filled rum runner in my purse.   Didn’t really mean to have it there but we had been traveling and I forgot to pack it at the hotel so threw it in my purse last minute.   It was not detected.

I have a daughter who routinely packs eight ounce rum runners in her sports bra when she attends concerts.   Says she goes in well endowed and exits less endowed.😀

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Stmar said:

3 for 3 passengers successful, 2 rum runners per suitcase. Vodka, Tequila and Crown. Not cheap, just like to have drinks on the balcony without having to go to a bar and carry back to the cabin.

Most cruise lines will sell you a bottle for your cabin for that purpose.

1 hour ago, mymillie said:

I'm not the drinking on the balcony person, I wish I could afford a balcony. The rum runners, in my case are purely for monetary reasons......and the fun of beating the system. No harm done ha!

Hmmm, we lost the ability to bring bottled water and bottled soda onboard because of smuggling so I wouldn't say no harm done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Hmmm, we lost the ability to bring bottled water and bottled soda onboard because of smuggling so I wouldn't say no harm done.

Why did we lose the ability to bring booze on board? 25 years ago you could bring anything you wanted. Corporate greed, same reason for bottled products, not smuggling.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Stmar said:

Why did we lose the ability to bring booze on board? 25 years ago you could bring anything you wanted. Corporate greed, same reason for bottled products, not smuggling.

Exactly!! People wouldn't be smuggling if they kept their prices reasonable.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stmar said:

Poor reason to violate the contract you agreed to. I'm sure if the corporation violated their portion of the contract you wouldn't be okay with it.

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Poor reason to violate the contract you agreed to. I'm sure if the corporation violated their portion of the contract you wouldn't be okay with it.

I think you misread or did not understand my question. I was asking why they changed their policy and smuggling was not the reason they outlawed water as you intimated.