Gibraltar and the wild monkeys.

tillyboy

Anyone know if the monkeys could be rabid?

Do the ships' Infirmaries stock anti rabies shots?? Just in case Yikes

No, they're regularly checked by vets.

According to the vets, the greater risk is of them getting infections from tourists.

But tourists don't bite if you annoy them. ;)

I think it very likely that ships' infirmaries stock rabies shots - there's a small risk from stray dogs in quite a few ports, even in Europe.

JB :)

There's been several TV series about Gibraltar, shown in the UK, and the keeper of the apes and his staff appeared in many programmes. Although the apes live free on the rock, they're well fed (you can see one of the feeding areas to the left of the funicular) but appear to enjoy taking any extra food they see, from tourists The apes are checked by a vet, are inoculated and micro chipped.

Good question. I had to go look it up. Apparently the monkeys are vaccinated! Who knew? :D

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1189184/Family-hospitalised-attack-rampaging-apes-Gibraltar.html[/quo

I did not know monkeys carried and transmitted ebola I t hink i recently heard there ha s been a small outbreak of ebola bujt not nearly like the last major outbreak.

i hesitated a moment before posting abotr rabies as i was sure some wise e guy would pounce on me for asking that, however , I. was sure some wise guy would pounce on me for mnetioning rabies. However, I did consider it a legitimate question, and still do..

I did not know monkeys carried and transmitted ebola I t hink i recently heard there ha s been a small outbreak of ebola bujt not nearly like the last major outbreak.

i hesitated a moment before posting abotr rabies as i was sure some wise e guy would pounce on me for asking that, however , I. was sure some wise guy would pounce on me for mnetioning rabies. However, I did consider it a legitimate question, and still do..

I think it was a very good question. I had no idea that the monkeys are so well looked after. I knew someone kept a general eye on them, but not about the micro-chipping and vaccination. Very interesting!

The apes are there because of the legend that if the apes leave, then Britain will lose the Rock. Apparently in WW11,the numbers dwindled to just 7, so Winston Churchill ordered more...

A bit like the ravens at the Tower of London, which look free, but legend says that if they leave, the crown will fall- so like the apes, they're well looked after!

I so enjoyed reading all the interesting posts about the Apes/Monkeys/Macaques! Whatever there're called, I'm still very afraid to get too near them. Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and personal experiences. I sure know much more about them since I began this topic. We will look into a private tour with Carl, who one poster recommended so highly. Happy cruising, everyone! :)