Water Shoes

spdwain

I am trying to buy a pair of men's water shoes in wide. I need a shoe that would stretch to a EEE or EEEE. None of the search engines seem to helpful and most descriptions seem to say most shoes are narrow and fit tight. Just curious if anyone has had any success in finding water shoes for very wide feet. Since it is the end of the season, most local stores have little or nothing available to try on which would be preferable, I will probably have to order online.

I am trying to buy a pair of men's water shoes in wide. I need a shoe that would stretch to a EEE or EEEE. None of the search engines seem to helpful and most descriptions seem to say most shoes are narrow and fit tight. Just curious if anyone has had any success in finding water shoes for very wide feet. Since it is the end of the season, most local stores have little or nothing available to try on which would be preferable, I will probably have to order online.

I need similar sizes and have always bought them when visiting Maui. Normally pick up a pair from Maui Dive Shop when booking activities or renting gear.

They don't retail through the website and I don't currently have a pair to provide a trade name to research. I know other dive shops in Maui also stock them and I believe I have also seen them at Costco.

Since Maui probably isn't an option, your best bet might be Amazon

I'm a 3-4E and a decent cheaper pair of water shoes are Body Glove Riptide III. Readily available at Big 5 or online via various outlets- usually under $20.

61a4592b02aab8d74c31a632202d92c8.jpg

If I had my way, OluKai 'Eleu Trainer Water Shoes would be made in wide/extra wide. They are the perfect all around aquatic shoe- standard issue for Hawaii's lifeguards (approx $110) but no wide sizes:

b9097513a8f97581741a4b6bc2cb7209.jpg

Teva used to make a wide slip-on water shoe that was mesh stretch nylon/leather upper and rugged vibram type sole. I had a pair that lasted more than five years of heavy use. It was basically like the Body Glove Riptide III "on steroids." Sadly, no longer available.

Not for swimming in and/or sandy beach wear, do know that there are some open format river hikers made for wide feet. This one is extra wide by design (and cheap at about $25 on sale): https://m.big5sportinggoods.com/mobile/mdetails/Outland+Solstice-II-Mens-River-Sandals/5910142170009/_/A-4476057#

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Here is a link to one...

https://www.xlfeet.com/Large-and-EEEEE-5E-Wide-Water-Shoes-s/316777.htm

When I searched "very wide water shoe" several came up including some on Amazon.

Your link is not exactly water shoes meant for wearing while swimming AND wading on rocky bottoms OR walking through sand. That said, glad that there are still several manufacturers of wide deck shoes like Dunham. Always fearful of discontinuation, I keep at least two new pairs of Sebago Docksiders on standby in my closet. Sperry Billfish should also still be made for wide feet. These are the only shoes a guy would need for deck wear, dinner, tours etc.

Thank you all for your input. I have some good info to go on. There is a croc store near me where we could try on shoes which helps. I never thought about using them as water shoes. The other ideas and websites are also much appreciated. I would love to go to Maui to pick some up for our Caribbean cruise, but sadly I don't think that is going to happen.

As has already been mentioned on this thread; what is wrong with wearing Crocs? Will I not get the same protection (mainly the soles of my feet) as if I was wearing water shoes?

The main problem with both clog and "swiftwater" Crocs is that neither is very multipurpose":

Clog Crocs are neither light weight nor form fitting, which are essentials if you plan to snorkel wearing them. The Swiftwaters are somewhat better but there are far better alternatives.

Clog and Swiftwater Crocs have an open heel area, which does not keep out sand and scree.

The soles of most Crocs are not as non-skid as actual deck or sailing shoes like Sperry or Sebago (made to best grip wet wood, fiberglass, etc.).

With the caveat that makes them useless for us folks that have Fred Flintstone feet, the best all-around (truly multipurpose [walk tour/snorkeling/beach/gym/casual dining]) aquatic shoe remains the OluKai 'Eleu Trainer Water Shoes. Perhaps we can all write to OluKai and ask them to make wide sizes (or, at least, a size 9.5 [uS] EEE[emoji41]).172ea625dc03061a8a75be444c2525c3.jpg

There are a few other wannabes (e.g., Salomon) but, I have yet to find any that fit the "Freds" and the occasional trip to REI can be very frustrating.

Final Note: Land's End makes an "active water shoe" in Wide. But, they get mixed reviews on fit and function.

9d0a9e119f3b78818f3293633866bcd4.jpg

There is a big range in "water shoes".

For snorkeling off of beaches and walking around Hawaiian lava rocks, I use Ocean Pro Dive Booties. They fit in my fins, so I literally wear them into the water, adjust my mask and snorkel, put my fins on, and I'm off. To find these, walk into a dive shop, let them eyeball your feet, and try on the pairs they bring you. You do want them to be kind of tight, so they stay on while you are swimming.

For river rafting and playing around at a water park, I wear Keen Uniq sandals. They are strange looking, but they work extremely well. Zappos and Amazon have tons of styles. Just plug the width into the search function.

For something to wear all day, then kick off to go for a swim, Crocs are great. If you're just wandering around on a beach, you don't need more than that.