Get Your Flu Shop Please - Get all of your shots !

TTraub1250

Not surprised at your attitude. You take the low road on just about every discussion on these boards. :rolleyes:I hope to never run across you on a cruise. Having to come into contact with your nasty disposition would certainly ruin my day.

We would get along fine until you reverted to your usual overbearing, self-righteous, condescending behavior. Then both our days would be ruined.

I have never ever believed a thread should be closed down . Not once ! Yet this one has turned from informative to personal and harsh . Perhaps there is nothing new to say .

I have never ever believed a thread should be closed down . Not once ! Yet this one has turned from informative to personal and harsh . Perhaps there is nothing new to say .

I think you are right, but I just can't stop myself (the devil made me do it:evilsmile::evilsmile:). Some people are just plain selfish, always have been, always will be. The internet just gives them a platform to shout it out (proudly!) to the world.

Statement/Question: "Simply because moralizing busybodies declare it is a social obligation". Is it a social obligation to cover your mouth when you cough, sneeze, and put bodily fluids in the air at your dinner table on the cruise ? Is it a social obligation to have the cook & waiter keep his/her fingers out of your food ? Is it a social obligation to pull hair from your food by the waiter, when they see it ? Point is, some dangers we can readily identify / see, and others are much more difficult to understand the dangers. There are short term dangers and long term dangers, just anybody that has done their expat assignment in India and/or China !

I've never gotten the flu shot. I always thought I would when I worked in a preschool but never did. Has never occurred to me to do it before going on a cruise

Getting it before cruising is as much as about not being able to cruise because you are sick as it is about the increased chance for exposure.

There are some people who if coming across a person on the ground in serious distress, would simply step over them and continue on their way - unless there was something to be gained for themselves, of course. Unfortunately, several of these people have posted on this thread.

Being a health care professional, I have seen the sad results of preventable flu deaths. People should take this more seriously, both for themselves, and as a responsible member of whatever community they are participating in at the time. Remember, viruses, such as the flu, are spread through tiny droplets in the air that are released when a sick person sneezes, coughs, or blows their nose. A person can also catch viruses if they touch their nose, eyes, or mouth after touching something contaminated by someone who has the virus, such as doorknobs, handrails, chair arms, etc.

In the end, in most cases the flu virus is spread by people who have not been vaccinated against the flu and even though they do not know it because "I have never gotten the flue", they actually have a very mild infection that they then spread to other people.

People who refuse the vaccine are in most cases the carriers.

Feeling bad for 3 days isn't close to feeling hit by a truck for 2 weeks.

While I somewhat agree with your observation about so medicine ads, I also think,,,,,,,,,,,, If someone has dreadful disease for which one of those meds is providing beneficial treatment, then it is NOT TOO many.

Not everyone can get the shot. The more people who opt out because they don't feel like it, the more at risk those people who are precluded from the vaccination are.

You are right, Some people cannot get a flu shot and they are naturally at risk.

There are some people who if coming across a person on the ground in serious distress, would simply step over them and continue on their way - unless there was something to be gained for themselves, of course. Unfortunately, several of these people have posted on this thread.

You can also blame it on the litigation world we live in. Sometimes it's best to simply dial 911 and not get involved on things that don't personally concern you.

You can also blame it on the litigation world we live in. Sometimes it's best to simply dial 911 and not get involved on things that don't personally concern you.

Sad. When caring about others is superseded with the paranoid fear of litigation, society has clearly devolved.

Maybe there are some localized shortages b ut hardly nation wide. CVS stores in our area have been giving free flu shots for weeks and continue to now. If there was a shortage, my guess would be they would try for good profits. and charge accordingly

Most insurance won't cover it unless you're 60 or older. On your own the older vaccin was over $200.

I get my flu shots at the grocery store pharmacy. Coupons!

They knocked me on my backside for about 48 hours, but they are 95% effective, and 48 hours of feeling yucky is better than 48 minutes of shingles.

Some insurances do cover the new shingles shots 100% even if under 60 years old. Thank goodness ours did. It is suggested for 50 and over. We also felt like we had the flu after it for about 24 hours, both times. Our pharmacist said he felt the same way.

As for the flu shot, we get ours every year. I have had to have it for my job for many years or else do patient care with a mask on all season. No thank you! My son refused to get it saying he has never had the flu, which is true. I feel to each their own...

It's a free country we live in. Write to your congressman if you want the law changed.

Perhaps I was a bit premature with my comment. I should have said "Sad. When all that people care about is themselves only, society has clearly devolved" - as you are proving. :rolleyes:

Had my flu shot already. Available and recommended September 1 at my doctor’s office.

Dr. also recommended re-doing shingles shot. Had shingles and also the old shot. New shot is waitlisted at my clinic/pharmacy. It’s also expensive. I have a Medicare Advantage plan and copay is $160 for each shot and you need two shots.

It was free on my Medicare Advantage plan - the same as other vaccinations. I messaged the doctor to ask about it last Friday because I learned about the new shingles vaccine from this thread. He said I should get it and that they had it in supply even though there is a national shortage. Got it this morning.

It was free on my Medicare Advantage plan - the same as other vaccinations. I messaged the doctor to ask about it last Friday because I learned about the new shingles vaccine from this thread. He said I should get it and that they had it in supply even though there is a national shortage. Got it this morning.

Glad you were able to take care of and that you didn't have to pay a hefty copay. I know clinics and pharmacies in this area cannot give an estimated time frame. Copay is probably dependent on individual plans.

That doesn't mean they get to control my actions. Lots of folks take actions that have consequences for me. So what. I live in the world as it is. I don't try to restrict what other people do.

I wonder how many would say the same about smoking? It seems like a fair analogy:

One could make the argument that as a smoker, why should others get to regulate what you choose to do? It's not your problem if exposure to your smoke might lead to disease in others; let them go around taking precautions -- wear a face mask for goodness sake, or just stay away from smokers.

But it's the accepted canon that second-hand smoke causes unacceptable health risks in others who are exposed to it; thus, smokers are subject to a lot of regulations regarding where they can and cannot light up.

Perhaps we should do the same with vaccines. No vaccines = no cruise, no flying, no dining in restaurants, etc. :evilsmile:

I wonder how many would say the same about smoking? It seems like a fair analogy:

One could make the argument that as a smoker, why should others get to regulate what you choose to do? It's not your problem if exposure to your smoke might lead to disease in others; let them go around taking precautions -- wear a face mask for goodness sake, or just stay away from smokers.

But it's the accepted canon that second-hand smoke causes unacceptable health risks in others who are exposed to it; thus, smokers are subject to a lot of regulations regarding where they can and cannot light up.

Perhaps we should do the same with vaccines. No vaccines = no cruise, no flying, no dining in restaurants, etc. :evilsmile:

Smoking is not a fair analogy because to prevent the "risk" the person needs to stop doing something and can resume once out of the immediate vicinity. With the flu shot a person must actively seek it out and can't "undo" the effects of it which remain with him/her permanently.

If a person is employed in an health facility where exposure to at-risk people is likely then requiring a flu shot is appropriate. To extend that to cruising, dining and flying is overreaching and totalitarian.

I think smoking is "Settled LAW " in many countries now.

I would have thought the Smallpox vaccine would make a better analogy:o. I know that vaccine was a little more permanent than the flu vaccine but I have wondered if certain strains of flu could have become extinct by now if everyone that year had got a vaccine:confused:.

For those planning on getting a flu shot before you cruise, please don't wait until the day before. The immunization is not immediate, the shot takes about 10 -14 days to become fully effective.

Yep. Plus, handling your luggage (including hoisting it into overhead bins on flights) is harder with a sore arm.

What are you going to do about your Canadian fellow travelers? Flu shots aren't available yet and traditionally don't arrive until later October. Are they not allowed to cruise? Is there a date you would be happy with?....what about European guests? Immunization is not endorsed by all countries.....just putting it out there that cruises are not US passengers only.

I also work in a hospital. Flu vaccination is a requirement, however we are lucky to get 67% of staff compliance - despite it always being available 'in house'.

I personally am committed to having the vaccine, despite being mildly allergic to it. I have had to be monitored by nurses to watch for reactions until a plan could be put into place. Not everyone can take the vaccine - nor are they as committed to persevering.

People have reasons for and against.....just like anything else. The only thing we can control is how we act and what is immediate around us. You can avoid people or places that offer high risk if you choose. If that includes cruises, then alternate methods of vacation are available.