safety of belongings at pool or beach

Teufs

What do people do with their belongings to keep them safe? Like phone, camera, money and cruise card. I have seen mention of waterproof pouches. Are they really water waterproof? And I have seen a portable lock box that can be secured to a chair. Any thoughts and any links to products?

If I should post this somewhere else, please advise.

here is the lock box:

https://www.amazon.com/SAFEGO-Portable-Indoor-Outdoor-Combination/dp/B017RQUIC4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks, Cathy

What do people do with their belongings to keep them safe? Like phone, camera, money and cruise card. I have seen mention of waterproof pouches. Are they really water waterproof? And I have seen a portable lock box that can be secured to a chair. Any thoughts and any links to products?

here is the lock box:

https://www.amazon.com/SAFEGO-Portable-Indoor-Outdoor-Combination/dp/B017RQUIC4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks, Cathy

Some people use waterproof cases. Others get things they can "lock" down to a beach chair (really? I mean, a chair can be moved).

And there are those (like my husband & me) who only carry their ship's card, one credit card, a small amount of cash (all those things can get wet) in our swimsuits. I also have a waterproof camera that's strapped to my wrist.

Things like towels, sunglasses, hats, books, drinks - they don't hold much interest for anyone looking to steal stuff.

here is the lock box:

Thanks, Cathy

There is no need to have money or credit cards with you on board out of your stateroom, so that concern should be moot. As to your cruise card, at the pool on board the cruise card is of no value to anyone else other than you as your picture is embedded on it and every time it is used your picture is displayed on the register. If it is not you using it, the crew will not authorize it.

And most do not show the full room number, which would make checking every similarly numbered room on each deck difficult at best for someone finding your card who is also dishonest enough to want to try to gain access to your room. The cards are also cancelled immediately by guest services upon notification of them missing and replaced with new ones.

So for all these reasons, securing your cruise card at the pool or at the beach - or anywhere else for that matter - should not be a concern IMO.

As to at a beach, we keep whatever cash, credit cards, or other valuables we have with us on our person in waterproof containers. Cell phones would be in a beach bag if we go into the water which can be seen. I don't expect other passengers with us at the beach to go rifling through our bags. I also see no need for any type of lock box. Just my opinion.

There is no need to have money or credit cards with you on board out of your stateroom, so that concern should be moot. As to your cruise card, at the pool on board the cruise card is of no value to anyone else other than you as your picture is embedded on it and every time it is used your picture is displayed on the register. If it is not you using it, the crew will not authorize it.

And most do not show the full room number, which would make checking every similarly numbered room on each deck difficult at best for someone finding your card who is also dishonest enough to want to try to gain access to your room. The cards are also cancelled immediately by guest services upon notification of them missing and replaced with new ones.

So for all these reasons, securing your cruise card at the pool or at the beach - or anywhere else for that matter - should not be a concern IMO.

As to at a beach, we keep whatever cash, credit cards, or other valuables we have with us on our person in waterproof containers. Cell phones would be in a beach bag if we go into the water which can be seen. I don't expect other passengers with us at the beach to go rifling through our bags. I also see no need for any type of lock box. Just my opinion.

Thank you for your opinion, thats why I asked! I did not realize a picture would be on the cruise card, great to know.

Some people use waterproof cases. Others get things they can "lock" down to a beach chair (really? I mean, a chair can be moved).

And there are those (like my husband & me) who only carry their ship's card, one credit card, a small amount of cash (all those things can get wet) in our swimsuits. I also have a waterproof camera that's strapped to my wrist.

Things like towels, sunglasses, hats, books, drinks - they don't hold much interest for anyone looking to steal stuff.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I like your minimalism.

Thank you for your opinion, thats why I asked! I did not realize a picture would be on the cruise card, great to know.
On some Cruise cards there is no photo.

Is your photo also seen when you use your Cruise card to buy drinks?

It kind of depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing there, but I basically bring a waterproof phone case with my ship card, ID (assuming they ask us to bring it as well), money (cash and/or credit), and my phone and/or waterproof camera (especially if I'm snorkeling). The pouches seem to be effective at protecting anything that's in them, but I'm not comfortable swimming with my phone in one, usually. If I'm going to be swimming properly, I've been known to just try and hide it among my other things (towel, clothes, etc.) and hope for the best. Or, as I say, depend on the waterproof camera. I should note that if I'm not bringing my phone, I'm likely to bring a watch (actually a nurse's watch that I took the fob off) so I know when I need to head back. There aren't always clocks around on beaches. :-)

The picture isn't actually "on" the card (at least on the cruise lines I've been on),. But it shows up when they swipe the card for whatever purpose (purchases, getting on/off the ship).

On some Cruise cards there is no photo.

Is your photo also seen when you use your Cruise card to buy drinks?

The picture isn't actually "on" the card (at least on the cruise lines I've been on),. But it shows up when they swipe the card for whatever purpose (purchases, getting on/off the ship).

Specific to RCI and Celebrity (and I would think most others) the picture is digitally embedded in, and not seen on, the card. Every time it is swiped the picture is shown on the register screen. Even if you have a drink package your card is swiped with each drink ordered to track the drinks released from inventory. So, yes, when you us your card to buy - or obtain - a drink, your picture is revealed at the register.

Specific to RCI and Celebrity (and I would think most others) the picture is digitally embedded in, and not seen on, the card. Every time it is swiped the picture is shown on the register screen. Even if you have a drink package your card is swiped with each drink ordered to track the drinks released from inventory. So, yes, when you us your card to buy - or obtain - a drink, your picture is revealed at the register.

Nope, it is stored on their computers.

Last cruise, the Sea Pass cards were pre-made, but then they took pictures, and did NOT "load" them on the card.

No reason to do so, as the terminal needs to be connected to their network to bill things.

Even if you go to the beach, what do you need?

Photo ID - DL is water proof.

Ship Card - Waterproof

Credit Card - Waterproof

Cash - No problem if it gets wet.

I use on of the cases shown, and they work well. I use them to keep things from getting lost, as my bathing suit pockets are not secure.

I also have a water proof waist pack I got from Amazon. I use this if I need to carry other items, like a cell phone. Last cruise, in Bermuda, we rented a small power boat, and I wanted to have a phone in case the engine quit or something like that. Never had a problem with it leaking. It has 3 zip lock seals, then the top folds over several times.

Nope, it is stored on their computers.

Last cruise, the Sea Pass cards were pre-made, but then they took pictures, and did NOT "load" them on the card.

No reason to do so, as the terminal needs to be connected to their network to bill things.

That may in fact be the case, but the link to that picture bank is stored on the card. In either case the card accesses the picture. And if it is lost (or damaged so as not to be usable) the original card is cancelled invalidating it for use and a new one with the necessary data is issued.

That may in fact be the case, but the link to that picture bank is stored on the card. In either case the card accesses the picture. And if it is lost (or damaged so as not to be usable) the original card is cancelled invalidating it for use and a new one with the necessary data is issued.

BIG difference between being encoded on the card and being called up from the server.

And to be accurate, the link to the picture is not on the card either. The card links to your ACCOUNT, and part of the account is the picture.

I use both boxes pictured above. The blue waterproof case is for credit cards, seapass, license and cash. The white lock box is for phones (I don't trust the "waterproof" pouches), Kindles, etc. I keep it in a beach bag, hook the cable through the straps of the bag and then onto the chair/table. Yes, chairs can be moved, but it's much easier to see someone moving the chair vs. picking up a beach bag or a Kindle. And most thefts are crimes of opportunity; make it harder for the thief and they'll go elsewhere.

At the pool on the ship, all I have with me is my ship card and a book. I don't secure them to anything.

If I am swimming or snorkeling from a beach, my ship card, credit card, and some cash are in a waterproof fanny pack. More to prevent them from being lost while I am swimming than anything else. The phone stays in my cabin.