Bow Access

cocopico

This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone know why the expansive bow area on Viking Ocean ships are off limits for passengers? I’ve seen some publicity-type photographs where there were passengers up there, but on the three cruises I’ve been on passengers could not go out on the bow. Other (non-Viking) ships we’ve encountered on these cruises allowed such access. I can understand limiting access to appropriate times that would not interfere with crew activities, but it seems like it would be such a great place to enjoy scenic cruising. I’m assuming it is probably a liability issue, but it would be great to utilize that area. Thanks.

I don't know why they restrict access most of the time, but they did open it while we were passing through the Panama Canal. Perhaps it has something to do with privacy for all the staterooms that directly face it.

It;s mostly for the safety of the passengers . Some ships normally open the bow when cruising in protected waters like the Panama canal or Glacier cruises in Alaska . RCCL only open the bow as they aproach and leave port.

As the previous poster mentioned, it's primarily for pax safety & comfort. The bow in any seaway is not the safest or most comfortable part of the ship. Many ships do not provide direct pax access to the bow and many others have it as a crew area.

We really enjoyed being forward on the bow for leaving port parties, but this was by special invitation only. The events were well hosted by the crew, and extremely enjoyable. We've enjoyed this perk leaving port from Lisbon, and also from Reykjavik. The refreshments provided were quite different - cold items leaving Lisbon, and leaving Iceland it simply had to be soup and other hot drinks and nibbles.

I can appreciate that there is a safety aspect to this activity, and I can fully understand why it is limited to invitation only - but boy oh boy there's nothing quite like it.

We did get up once very early to get as far forward as we could when doing the sail-in for our very first Norwegian fjord, and that was quite unforgettable too (it was on a balcony underneath the Bridge), no refreshments, but it was just us and very moving.

Once we were lucky to have a balcony at the aft of the ship, pretty much central location, and for the sail out of Stockholm that was awesome, too.

I don't know why they restrict access most of the time, but they did open it while we were passing through the Panama Canal. Perhaps it has something to do with privacy for all the staterooms that directly face it.

Hopefully, IMHO it does have something (a lot) to do with "privacy" since the only two cabins on deck 3 that face the bow are Explorer Suites and their verandas, living areas, bedrooms and bathrooms all face forward and have extensive windows looking out. Anyone in the open area between the ship's superstructure and the bow can look in if the drapes are not fully drawn. Also the bow area is devoid of any furniture or fixtures other than navigation aides, lights and flag staffs. Access to the bow it through a small crew only doorway between the 2 Explorer Suites. There are many other better locations on a Viking Ocean ship to view where you are going. The bow is just not set up as a passenger viewing venue.

There may also be safety concerns. When we were allowed out there during the Panama Canal partial transit it was with strict instructions to stay within the painted area on the deck. The bow has open scuppers all around that are big enough a leg could go through. I gave myself a fright while leaning on the side of the bow when I let my foot go outside the painted area and realized...esp with the water on the deck...how easily my foot could slip and go right through. This is the only part of the ship presenting this kind of hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There may also be safety concerns. When we were allowed out there during the Panama Canal partial transit it was with strict instructions to stay within the painted area on the deck. The bow has open scuppers all around that are big enough a leg could go through. I gave myself a fright while leaning on the side of the bow when I let my foot go outside the painted area and realized...esp with the water on the deck...how easily my foot could slip and go right through. This is the only part of the ship presenting this kind of hazard.

CharTrav,

We agree wholeheartedly with your perspective on safety issues and expect that those are the primary reasons why the bow area is not normally open for passenger viewing.

There is no 'official prohibition' to bow access in something like SOLAS

My guess is that pass' access was not a factor in the design, so they just don't do it .... as others have mentioned there is no 'wide access' passage for general folks and the privacy concerns for the $$ cabins up there lead me to this conclusion. The ships I've been on that do allow bow access restrict access to certain times like entering / leaving port and daylight.

frankly even tho VO gets an older and hopefully wiser customer base, I suspect there would still be a certain number of ding-dongs who'd want to do the 'Titanic' thing and that is on the Captain's nightmare list!

However without access you'll never get a chance to duplicate this shot .... looking straight down from the peak of the bow, these dolphins are riding the pressure wave in front of the bow ....

enhance

(crappy SCAN of a photo with a few years on it but you get the idea . . . )

They could of course make the 'scupper' opening more closed and make the deck more non skid for walking and even install a bench or two for seating but that won't change the privacy for those $$ cabins or the lack of access.

btw

this is the bow area of QM2 ... access is limited to the 'tan' deck ....

enhance

Edited by Capt_BJ

CharTrav,

We agree wholeheartedly with your perspective on safety issues and expect that those are the primary reasons why the bow area is not normally open for passenger viewing.

All the open areas on deck have scuppers but they are all very carefully protected behind some kind of barrier (tasteful of course). I'm sure you've sat in the World Cafe and watched crew cleaning the deck and pushing the water off through the scuppers. The bow area is the only place with no protections. Of course, as we all learned in Panama that day, it's also like standing in a frying pan.

BJ, nice shot of "PropHenge" on QM2. You are right, of course, VO ships are not designed to have passengers regularly access the bow area. Some others, Seabourn comes to mind, actually have hot tubs, seating, etc. in the bow areas but it can easily be closed off when sea and weather are less than calm. Not a big deal really as Char says about the heat on the bow deck area and VO has such great open deck areas on 8 and 9. I loved the deck forward of Explorers for viewing Suez Canal. :cool:

Not a big deal really as Char says about the heat on the bow deck area

Yep ... big heat dif' 'tween standing on a wood deck versus a painted deck ......

I know ... oh how I know . . .

Yes, off limits.

Except for "special events" that may happen while in port, or in calm waters (moving slowly).

Bow views.

Noted the pictures of broken windows on your blog, it's actually not that uncommon. Back in the 70's & 80's, in heavy weather we had steel shutters that were installed to protect windows at aft end of foc's'le. However on the old Island Princess we lost a couple of fwd lounge windows going into San Francisco, as we didn't get the shutters up on time. On the old Sun Princess I remember having most of the foc's'le damaged while crossing Tehuantepec - 1" steel plates were buckled and bent.

When the wind & seas pick up, even the crew don't head out on the bow. Unfortunately, I can't find any of my old photos.

I forgot what line it was but there was a "special event" on embark day and someone asked when we could use the hot tub and exercise equipment that was there and was told the bow area is considered a crew recreation area when the ship was in motion.

Yes, on many cruise ships there is a pool and/or lounging area for the crew

this is 'tradition'

The foc'sel aka fore castle is traditionally the lounge area for 'the crew'

while the officer area was at the stern .... nearer the 'quarterdeck'

as a cadet on EAGLE

cadets were herded to the foc'sel to 'hang out' .....

While the officer's country deck space was all the way aft at the Captain's Coffin .....

Edited by Capt_BJ

I believe that on Cunard (which we've sailed with far too many times), the prop blades shown in the photo above are called the 'Commodores Cufflinks'. The area forward where they are situated is easily accessible if you walk forward on the relevant deck, but we've never ever been invited to any 'perks' events on Cunard, despite being QG regulars; whereas with Celebrity we've enjoyed visits to the Bridge etc., and also Captains invites to the forward deck section for a sailaway from port.

I believe that on Cunard (which we've sailed with far too many times), the prop blades shown in the photo above are called the 'Commodores Cufflinks'. The area forward where they are situated is easily accessible if you walk forward on the relevant deck, but we've never ever been invited to any 'perks' events on Cunard, despite being QG regulars; whereas with Celebrity we've enjoyed visits to the Bridge etc., and also Captains invites to the forward deck section for a sailaway from port.

Early on in QM2s career, a wit on the Cunard board dubbed that area "PropHenge". Commodore's Cufflinks is a new one for me. Learn new stuff every day on Cruise Critic. ;p

Early on in QM2s career, a wit on the Cunard board dubbed that area "PropHenge". Commodore's Cufflinks is a new one for me. Learn new stuff every day on Cruise Critic. ;p

There's even a nice sign explaining the 'Commodore's Cufflinks' quite near them - and that sign has been there at least 5 years (and that's where I got the info).