AMA Stars of South Africa April 17, 2018

BitburgBoy

We leave Tomorrow for Miami to begin our AMA trip. That flight to Capetown looks like a doozy. Four nights at Cape Grace followed by four on Zambezi Queen then Vikeys Falls then Tinswalo Lodge ... away we go✈️

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Wonderful! A trip report to my taste!

4/21/18 Today was an interesting bus trip along the coast South to the Cape of Good Hop. Saw the tiny penguins at Boulder Beach and stuffed ourselves at the lunch stop on the water. Took the funicular up half way then walked up to the lighthouse, great views!You be the judge.105852aad307f79414e7997cca216216.jpg5ac5ce36b2c150db9a8432f06f8d1ba8.jpg87abea3cbc0722f49949bf4173125053.jpge7d142230d779d12d06ebcdf85f50450.jpgd1b707fab36ac816b251a1045b65bcea.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can't wait to read reviews and see OP's photos from this cruise...I'd be interested in seeing how South Africa looks via cruise boat! I just have to interject a second recommendation for the Harbour House in Kalk Bay. Fabulous.;)

Can't wait to read reviews and see OP's photos from this cruise...I'd be interested in seeing how South Africa looks via cruise boat! I just have to interject a second recommendation for the Harbour House in Kalk Bay. Fabulous.;)

These AMA trips are river cruises on the Chobe River. They start in Cape Town at a hotel and also include a hotel stay in Victoria Falls, and then various options add a land safari or a luxury rail trip. The only pictures of South Africa from a cruise boat will be if BitburgBoy takes the Robben Island excursion option [or an independent 20-minute harbor cruise] in Cape Town.

These AMA trips are river cruises on the Chobe River. They start in Cape Town at a hotel and also include a hotel stay in Victoria Falls, and then various options add a land safari or a luxury rail trip. The only pictures of South Africa from a cruise boat will be if BitburgBoy takes the Robben Island excursion option [or an independent 20-minute harbor cruise] in Cape Town.

:')

• 4 weeks later...
We leave Tomorrow for Miami to begin our AMA trip. That flight to Capetown looks like a doozy. Four nights at Cape Grace followed by four on Zambezi Queen then Vikeys Falls then Tinswalo Lodge ... away we go✈️

Really curious how your trip was and have been checking back daily, but you must be too busy having fun to catch us up! We are considering one of the AMA in Africa adventures. Thank you so very much for your review thus far!

Really curious how your trip was and have been checking back daily, but you must be too busy having fun to catch us up! We are considering one of the AMA in Africa adventures. Thank you so very much for your review thus far!

We just got back from this trip (slightly different version than BitburgBoy) on Tuesday, and I'm still digging through the accumulated mail and other obligations before I can start processing my photos and building the blog and review. Short review: terrific! We saw so many animals, in natural settings very unlike any zoo or safari park, and also had interesting experiences in two major cities (Cape Town and Jo'burg) and a small Namibian village. And to top it off, on Sunday morning DW and I were petting the belly of a young male Lion as part of a 45-minute "walk with the lions" in Victoria Falls!

Jazz, since you made it back in one piece, I reckon that you were petting the outside of his belly and not the inside! Glad for that. Excited to see your pictures and blog when you have time. That flight back is a killer and it takes a LONG time to recover. Good luck!

Looking to maybe revisit this area in 2020.

Pickypicky, I did South Africa by cruise ship in 2011, and my pictures from that trip are uploaded in my SmugMug galleries (link in my signature). We did a RT out of Cape Town including East London, Maputo, Richards Bay, Durban, Port Elizabeth, and Mossel Bay. There are also some pictures from the Robben Island Ferry that our host mentions.

I am pretty sure that Terry (TLCOhio) did a picture review somewhere on CC of his SA cruise as well. So those pictures are out there if you still want them.

Having done SA by both land and cruise ship, I prefer the land version. Just saying.

And to top it off, on Sunday morning DW and I were petting the belly of a young male Lion as part of a 45-minute "walk with the lions" in Victoria Falls!

OMG:eek: I am so looking forward to reading your blog! And seeing the pics of the lion’s belly rub! Did you make a wish? Mine would have been....“oh please let me live to tell the tale”!

Wow!!!! Those pics are truly amazing! You two are certainly intrepid travelers. We had read your posts about receiving your travel docs, and we did some research on your trip. Looking forward to reading your blog after you’ve had a chance to catch your breath. Thank you so very much for posting the lion pics!

Here are some photos to amaze and reassure you:

47a8db39b3127cce9854af28ce9f00000010100AcM2rVy1ct23A

47a8db39b3127cce9854af16cea100000010100AcM2rVy1ct23A

47a8db39b3127cce9854af294fae00000010100AcM2rVy1ct23A

47a8db39b3127cce9854af154f9200000010100AcM2rVy1ct23A

47a8db39b3127cce9854af174f9000000010100AcM2rVy1ct23A

47a8db39b3127cce9854af14cea300000010100AcM2rVy1ct23A

Wow! Incredibly brave, naive or crazy not sure which. We asked the question “ what would happen if we stepped out of the Land Cruizer,the Guide said “ he’d kill you”! Glad you survived.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...
We just got back from this trip (slightly different version than BitburgBoy) on Tuesday, and I'm still digging through the accumulated mail and other obligations before I can start processing my photos and building the blog and review. Short review: terrific! We saw so many animals, in natural settings very unlike any zoo or safari park, and also had interesting experiences in two major cities (Cape Town and Jo'burg) and a small Namibian village. And to top it off, on Sunday morning DW and I were petting the belly of a young male Lion as part of a 45-minute "walk with the lions" in Victoria Falls!

I have a question. Did your AMA Stars of S Africa include the @walk with the lions”? Or was that an option offered?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a question. Did your AMA Stars of S Africa include the @walk with the lions”? Or was that an option offered?

Thanks in advance

Neither. In my advance planning I checking the website for the Victoria Falls Hotel where we would be staying, and it was listed as one of the activities available from them. But it turned out that our local AMA guide is a friend of the owner of this company, so she booked it for us. The tour includes pick-up and return at your hotel; you pay at the site (credit cards accepted).

Neither. In my advance planning I checking the website for the Victoria Falls Hotel where we would be staying, and it was listed as one of the activities available from them. But it turned out that our local AMA guide is a friend of the owner of this company, so she booked it for us. The tour includes pick-up and return at your hotel; you pay at the site (credit cards accepted).

Lucky you! I may have to look into doing that. Just wondering what you didn’t do because you arranged to do that tour. What was the name of your AMA guide as we are on the Aug 17th Stars of S Africa departure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums