Suite Life: What are all the perks?

Guest ccpm

If you want extras for having a suite then try Cunard. We had an upgrade last year, had 2 bottles of bubbly on arrival, fruit bowl in the room refreshed daily, chocolate truffles with turn down, 2 separate sundecks with the most amazing sun loungera- you were basically lying on a normal mattress! Separate dining room with a different menu to the normal dining room and also a separate bar as well. It was more expensive but you did get something different compared to what everyone else could use.

We are giving Cunard a try this year. We have booked the Queens Grill and I'm looking forward to seeing what the differences will be. One of the things we are most looking forward to is having our own table for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Selbourne, we have considered a suite but have heard that they have ordinary bathrooms. How does your wife manage without the accessible bathroom if you don't mind me asking?

Since my wife’s mobility has worsened we have mostly used accessible cabins as my wife finds it useful to wheel the wheelchair in and out of the bathroom and the large shower bench is useful. When we have used a Suite we have always double checked that there is nothing more than one step and there is a stand alone shower cubicle that a shower stool can fit in and it has a grab rail. P&O kindly provide a shower stool as my wife is unable to stand unaided. My wife also uses a narrow wheelchair which goes through cabin doors that standard width wheelchairs don’t. I have to do a lot more assisting in a suite than in an accessible cabin, which I don’t mind doing but my wife prefers to be independent, which she can only be in an accessible cabin. We have a suite booked on Arcadia this year for just 7 nights but I think it could well be our last Cruise in a suite as it’s becoming increasingly challenging. As with everything, it all depends on the individuals level of mobility challenges. We did a ship visit to Arcadia and were shown the specific suite we had booked to satisfy ourselves that it was manageable. That could be one way of you deciding if it could work for you?

Thank you Selbourne. Sadly the bathroom step would be a deal breaker (I am an independent soul also). I think we will have to stick with the accessible cabin again for next year.

In some suites the ‘step’ is quite shallow but in others I have had to assist my wife over it. As I say, ship visits are a great way to satisfy yourself whether or not it’s an option for you.

I would highly recommend anyone considering a suite that they try the Yacht Club offering from MSC. Simply superb. Butler, private lounge, restaurant, pool area, fully inclusive drinks, priority everything for a comparable price to a suite on P & O. A week in med with flights should be around £1600 pp

We treated ourselves to a suite for the first time last month on Azura and it was great. Due to recent health problems we tend to spend more time in the cabin so loved the extra space.

We enjoyed the welcome party which made for a nice calm start to the cruise. Champagne and chocolates waiting for us in the suite was also very welcome.The butler unpacked and packed for us which was great. We loved breakfast at the Epicurean and also in suite meals served by our butler with linens, glasses etc.

In short we loved it and for us it was well worth the money. We love cruising and P&O are our favorites ( along with Princess) Every time we cruise we feel privileged and being fortunate enough to have suite made it even more special. I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

In fact we loved it so much we are doing it all again on Britannia next month!

Anyone know how the priority tender works for suite passengers? Also do you get priority coming back, if so again how does that work ? Thanks.

We were given passes which enabled us to go directly to the tenders whenever we wanted, rather than having to go to a lounge, obtain a number and then wait until our number was called. The only problem was the daggers looks or sarcastic comments from passengers who think you are pushing in.

There is no priority given on the return transfer.

Question for the knowledgeable please. Occasionally I see mentioned that suite passengers get priority boarding in the Caribbean. Is this the case please? I have seen passengers requiring assistance quite rightly by-passing the lines but not others.

Just remember room service is only free if you order via the Butler not direct.

We had a suite on Ventura this last time. We asked our Butler (who was fantastic by the way...I came up with curveball things for him to do for us) about room service. He said we didn't need to order via him. just phone up and order as per normal. We did, and were not charged.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, cbb3657 said:

We are in Ventura in a suite and in the shade 100% because above is deck 15 and has a huge overhang blocking out the sun.

I cannot understand when cruise ships put their premium cabins underneath the lido deck overhang, Celebrity's Solstice class have their Aqua class cabins on this deck as well.

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I cannot understand when cruise ships put their premium cabins underneath the lido deck overhang, Celebrity's Solstice class have their Aqua class cabins on this deck as well.

These cabins are only standard balconies. Celebrity created “Aqua class’ to upsell at a much higher price standard balcony cabins that would otherwise have been seen as really undesirable and it worked brilliantly.

The perks for being aqua were good but the stroke of genius was the exclusive Blue restaurant which was worth the extra money alone. Lovely light and healthy food and anytime dining before it came into vogue on other lines.

Blue created a problem though as the suite guests were then not happy that they did not have an exclusive restaurant which is why the pancake houses were taken out and the exclusive suite class restaurants created in the space.

Guest ccpm

Reporting back ahead of time. Had a suite on Ventura at a good price as a last minute holiday. Very pleased - no going back now. Butler was great, canapes not so much., had some room service but no in suite dining. Glass House experience best ever for lunch and split time between epicurean and sindhu in the evenings again super meals and brilliant staff. 

Edited by ccpm

15 minutes ago, Babyeddiedog said:

Did I read that binoculars were also included in suites....or was that another company? 🙂

They are. But next time round I'll be making sure I keep my glasses on before putting them anywhere near my eyes. Picked up an eye infection (the only one I've had in at least 20 years) a couple of days after using them, and I'd hazard a guess that that's where it came from. No certainty, of course, but it seems a strong possibility.

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

They are. But next time round I'll be making sure I keep my glasses on before putting them anywhere near my eyes. Picked up an eye infection (the only one I've had in at least 20 years) a couple of days after using them, and I'd hazard a guess that that's where it came from. No certainty, of course, but it seems a strong possibility.

Oh no,  thank you for telling me that, I've always got hand sanitiser with me so I think it might come in useful!

11 minutes ago, Babyeddiedog said:

Oh no,  thank you for telling me that, I've always got hand sanitiser with me so I think it might come in useful!

Good idea. I’d add though that they weren’t in very good shape anyway and next time I’ll be taking a decent pair.

• Thanks 1

We a few weeks ago went to the Fjords on Britannia in a accessible suite I think B627..

Balcony’s are tiny but double sized because a suite is basically 2 cabins. The cabin was open as the middle wall removed. The bathroom was fantastic which my son enjoyed but not as much as me.. I loved having a perch on the fold down large seat and basking in the shower....sorry I digress.. Cabin great. Suite onboard welcome champagne buffet was to us very good a lovely moment to relax. Cabin was huge with fantastic bathroom for all of us. Our Butler got us seats at the limelight club 2nd night when it was sold out and great seats in a large booth just for us..great views of the stage. On port days when our son didn’t come with us and the evening of the limelight club he ordered from the restaurant menu (lunch/evening) . Also any drinks we wanted in cabin we could order..cocktails..any drink basically. All room service we ordered was complimentary.

Our Butler was great as was the cruise to Norway....We will be back..

Sorry forget to mention Epicurean for breakfast ...so good ....went there every day on our 7 night cruise...if you ask you get..as my son delightedly found out having the smoked salmon eggs benedict on the same plate as a full English...where to look but he enjoyed it...Fantastic service..well done the staff, every morning they make you feel special.