Questions for a first-timer on SD

OKCer

About to book a group trip (10 ppl) on SD1 for March 2019, but am curious on a few things. After researching this site, when was the last time SD1 drydocked and was updated? Does the ship interior look old and ragged?

Can anyone recall what alcohol brands were a part of the inclusive price? How much pushing does the staff do to up-sell top shelf? Are the included brands that bad or low-level?

While it has been a few years since we were on board, we do not consider the interior to be old and dated, but that is always a personal opinion, that related to style. Everything is always neat and clean and fresh looking.

As far as alcohol, the included brands ae fine and in almost 100 days on board never once have I seen the crew try to upsell you to a premium liquor, in fact if you order one they will make sure that you know that it is an upsell before they pour.

We did BGI to SXM in December of 2016 on SDI. Our experience would say you're concerned about things you don't need to be concerned about. Conditions aboard SDI were as advertised; the service was excellent; the food was always spot on; our cabin #202 was clean and comfortable. My wife is particular about her scotch brand. There were adequate single malt labels available but not her favorite. We asked the bartender; they produced the liter which we purchased. Funny how that bottle always knew where my wife was. She never had a problem getting her drink. All this is to say, there are plenty of premium brands available; yet if a super premium is your desire-just ask. It was a great trip and we will be back!

We did BGI to SXM in December of 2016 on SDI. Our experience would say you're concerned about things you don't need to be concerned about. Conditions aboard SDI were as advertised; the service was excellent; the food was always spot on; our cabin #202 was clean and comfortable. My wife is particular about her scotch brand. There were adequate single malt labels available but not her favorite. We asked the bartender; they produced the liter which we purchased. Funny how that bottle always knew where my wife was. She never had a problem getting her drink. All this is to say, there are plenty of premium brands available; yet if a super premium is your desire-just ask. It was a great trip and we will be back!

Thank you for your input! Do you recall the wine service during your trip? Some of my research leads me to believe there is one "included" type of red and white at dinner, but all other wines are at a charge? This would surprise me, but I've seen multiple reviews note this. Is there not a good size list of wines included in the inclusive price during the week-long cruise?

Also, you mention purchasing a bottle of Scotch. Was this purchased on-board and then reserved for your wife all week, or something you brought onto the ship?

As I recall, there were satisfactory wine options available-more than just one red and white option. A wine list was presented at meal times. Beyond the presentation of the wine list, there was never an attempt to up sell. The sommelier was always available to advise, suggest parings from the wines included in the fare. If you wanted to try a bottle of one of the premium labels, he was quite knowledgeable. Yes-the 1L bottle of scotch(Glenlivet 12yo) was purchased on board and was reserved for my wife. It was just right for our 7 day cruise. The savings were not huge, maybe 15% over single order pricing. However, since we're both scotch drinkers, we felt we couldn't go wrong saving a few bucks. But the real benefit was no matter where we were on board, the staff always anticipated her order-always at the ready. Nice touch!

Thank you for your input! Do you recall the wine service during your trip? Some of my research leads me to believe there is one "included" type of red and white at dinner, but all other wines are at a charge? This would surprise me, but I've seen multiple reviews note this. Is there not a good size list of wines included in the inclusive price during the week-long cruise?

Are you confusing Seadream with Viking? Your description of the reviews you have read reminds me of Viking not Seadream.

As I recall, there were satisfactory wine options available-more than just one red and white option. A wine list was presented at meal times. Beyond the presentation of the wine list, there was never an attempt to up sell. The sommelier was always available to advise, suggest parings from the wines included in the fare. If you wanted to try a bottle of one of the premium labels, he was quite knowledgeable. Yes-the 1L bottle of scotch(Glenlivet 12yo) was purchased on board and was reserved for my wife. It was just right for our 7 day cruise. The savings were not huge, maybe 15% over single order pricing. However, since we're both scotch drinkers, we felt we couldn't go wrong saving a few bucks. But the real benefit was no matter where we were on board, the staff always anticipated her order-always at the ready. Nice touch!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have occasionally requested other wines than those offered at dinner and have never been charged. My husband has also never been charged for the Courvoisier stingers that he likes, Skye or Ketal One vodkas. We have done 10 SD cruises and never been charged for liquors ever. (Don't know if being such dedicated SeaDreamers as we are helps.)

• 2 weeks later...

I found the included wines all right at times (lunch) and at dinner, generally ordered a premium bottle. My husband always found something he liked on the included list. They feature a white and a red, usually but you can also ask about previously served wines. For instance, if you liked the wine they included at lunch and you don't care for the dinner options, they will willingly serve you the wine from lunch you liked at no additional charge. I didn't think the bottle charges were out of line for the premium wines but we dine out a lot when at home and that may influence my perception.